2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 13 - SailNet Community
 165Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 423 Old 04-07-2019

Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLOSECALL View Post
Spinal cord surgery here. Hope to get on the boat mid june. Sorry for the hold up.
Heal up quickly. See you on the water soon!

s/v Harmony
1973 Tartan 30 #186
Anchorage Marina, Baltimore MD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 423 Old 04-07-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aswayze View Post
Spent today spinning around down the Potomac looking at a few places.

Found Machodoc Creek Marina which looked like the ideal spot for me. About 2 hours 20 min commute for me, fairly quiet area. Yard looks good, sailing looks decent, I think we have a winner!

I was concerned that I would end up having to trailer through a lot of traffic or down quaint cute little streets white knuckled and stressed out so I was pretty happy to find this spot.

Near term, got to go fetch up the boat.

Mid term, I need to do my keel work since having a travel lift to set the boat up on blocks is a huge help I do not typically have access to.

Longer term, I do want to actually get to sail on the boat and enjoy it.
Great choice! I'm glad that you can get down to Dahlgren in a reasonable time. The river does open up nicely down there. My only warning is to check out the weekend traffic over the toll bridge. It backs up sometimes, but I'm not sure exactly when, which direction, or how far. Based on my experience visiting my father outside Fredricksburg, it's worst heading eastbound on Sunday evenings, which is probably the opposite direction you'll be going at that time.

I had never heard of that creek so I had to look it up, and lo and behold, that's where I first learned to sail. My girlfriend's father was a navy officer who had a huge farm house on the Navy base. There was a fleet of sailboats for the Navy people to use at any time, and he took me out on one of them a few times to teach me to sail. I never learned the name of the creek, or the model of boat.

Interesting story: That girlfriend and I broke up, but have stayed lifelong friends (she lives in NY State, near Lake Wallenpaupack where we often vacationed). Her parents retired to Oak Harbor, WA, and 30 years later we visited him, since my son is in Seattle. I came to learn that in Washington he has a fishing boat almost identical to mine (he has Trophy 17, I had Trophy 15 which I just sold a couple days ago). He also had an almost identical sailboat (he had a Catalina 270, I had a Catalina 250). Quite a coincidence! He kept one-upping me by 2', so I went out and got a Catalina 34. lol

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Last edited by TakeFive; 04-07-2019 at 05:20 PM.
post #123 of 423 Old 04-08-2019

Not the Chesapeake Bay, but getting closer...

The first mate and I went out yesterday for a couple of hours on a rented Catalina 22 out of Leesylvania State Park on the Potomac river just south of Occoquan. This was our first sail of the season since taking our ASA101 course last Fall and renting a Flying Scot a couple of times afterwards.

Conditions were sunny with about 10-12 knots of wind out of the southeast. The wind died as soon as we got out of the marina, but after a while it picked up and we got a nice lean going. The Navionics app suggested we topped out about 7 knots SOG, which might be a bit generous given that the Catalina's hull speed is supposed to be 5.9. This was the fastest we had ever sailed, however, and it was a hoot. We're looking forward to getting back out on the water again soon, preferably on the Bay.
PalmettoSailor likes this.

post #124 of 423 Old 04-09-2019

Dock

Started getting the boat ready last week. The battery charger failed apparently; both banks were dead. So no engine start but she's in the water. I think I'll do a short haul to look at the bottom. Mostly she just needs washing.

Anchorage Marina, where we slip her, has been doing a replacement of the D / E /F docks over the winter. The new ones are gorgeous! It's like walking on hard wood floors. And Wayne, the dockmaster, has totally turned around the service there over the last couple of years. It's good to see. Our boat has been in a different slip over the winter (we're on E dock) and it looks like we can get back in our slip next week. Yay!

We have an Alberg 35, always seems to take forever to get her ready. Last week when I was there cleaning, there was a nice little breeze and the other Alberg 35 in the marina slipped out to day sail. I don't think I've ever been so envious!
chef2sail likes this.

Jim & Jacquelyn Eaton
s/v Pendragon
Anchorage Marina
Baltimore, MD
post #125 of 423 Old 04-09-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragon35 View Post
Anchorage Marina, where we slip her, has been doing a replacement of the D / E /F docks over the winter. The new ones are gorgeous!
Glad to see they are doing this as the old ones were getting pretty atrocious. Harbor East Marina did the same thing last year and apparently Lighthouse Point is going to start rebuilding theirs this spring.

s/v Spindrift
Beneteau Oceanis 400
formerly Lippincott 30
post #126 of 423 Old 04-10-2019
Trailer Sailer Moderator

Maybe I'll have my pick of beautiful marinas by the time I have a non-trailerable boat :-D
Pendragon35 likes this.

~ Rezz

S/v DreamWeaver
1980 Laguna Windrose 22
post #127 of 423 Old 04-10-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoSailor View Post
Yeah, I paint my prop every season with Rustoleum Cold Galvinizing Compound. Interwebz rumor says its the same as Petit Prop Coat.

It does a pretty good job of keeping the prop clean for a season.
I used this stuff this year, on the recommendation of the local prop fixer.

I guess I'll find out how well it works at the end of the year. It could well be that it's one of those "as long as you recoat every year" things.
post #128 of 423 Old 04-11-2019
Yamsailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoSailor View Post
I can only speak to my experience and that is that my prop looks just like my two marina buddies that use Petit when our boats go in the water, and my prop looks just like their props when our boats come out of the water. I have observed this over the past 3 years.

YMMV.
I use Petit for my propeller and it works quite well. I keep my boat in Rock Hall, MD

Sail Your Story!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #129 of 423 Old 04-14-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Canuck View Post
I used this stuff this year, on the recommendation of the local prop fixer.

I guess I'll find out how well it works at the end of the year. It could well be that it's one of those "as long as you recoat every year" things.
It's absolutely a re-paint every haul out deal, but from my observations the Rustoleum performs just as well (or poorly depending on you viewpoint)as the Pettit my friends use.

PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36
post #130 of 423 Old 04-14-2019

My year did not get off to a good start. Today I hit what was apparently a submerged railroad tie (based on the 8'x8' square deadhead that I saw bobbing astern of my boat). I suspect it destroyed my newly refurbished prop (zero thrust when I put it back in gear), and may have damaged my shaft and/or strut (vibrations, and does not spin freely in neutral). I was towed to Delaware City Marina to await haulout for inspection, survey, and repairs.

@chef2sail , I know you've spoken highly of surveyor Steve Mason. I actually tried to hire him for pre-purchase survey when I bought this boat, but he only does insurance surveys. He has been assigned to my case, so I'll finally get to use him - but not under the circumstances I would have chosen.

Oh, by the way, this is one thing that Petit Barnacle Barrier does not protect against. Maybe Rustoleum would have done better. lol

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
The Following User Says Thank You to TakeFive For This Useful Post:
Pendragon35 (04-19-2019)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in