2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 14 - SailNet Community
 146Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #131 of 349 Old 04-15-2019

Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
My year did not get off to a good start. Today I hit what was apparently a submerged railroad tie (based on the 8'x8' square deadhead that I saw bobbing astern of my boat). I suspect it destroyed my newly refurbished prop (zero thrust when I put it back in gear), and may have damaged my shaft and/or strut (vibrations, and does not spin freely in neutral). I was towed to Delaware City Marina to await haulout for inspection, survey, and repairs.

@chef2sail , I know you've spoken highly of surveyor Steve Mason. I actually tried to hire him for pre-purchase survey when I bought this boat, but he only does insurance surveys. He has been assigned to my case, so I'll finally get to use him - but not under the circumstances I would have chosen.

Oh, by the way, this is one thing that Petit Barnacle Barrier does not protect against. Maybe Rustoleum would have done better. lol
Well, trying to look on the bright side, at least whatever is left of the prop will look nice when you haul?

Sorry to hear of your seasons rough start. I'm sure many of us carry that seed of fear of something like this, especially when sailing or motoring at night.

PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #132 of 349 Old 04-15-2019 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
My year did not get off to a good start. Today I hit what was apparently a submerged railroad tie (based on the 8'x8' square deadhead that I saw bobbing astern of my boat). I suspect it destroyed my newly refurbished prop (zero thrust when I put it back in gear), and may have damaged my shaft and/or strut (vibrations, and does not spin freely in neutral). I was towed to Delaware City Marina to await haulout for inspection, survey, and repairs.

@chef2sail , I know you've spoken highly of surveyor Steve Mason. I actually tried to hire him for pre-purchase survey when I bought this boat, but he only does insurance surveys. He has been assigned to my case, so I'll finally get to use him - but not under the circumstances I would have chosen.

Oh, by the way, this is one thing that Petit Barnacle Barrier does not protect against. Maybe Rustoleum would have done better. lol
Damn Rick....sorry to hear that.

Steve was great to work with and his experience and reputation with the insurance company made it's breeze for me to get the correct compensation

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #133 of 349 Old 04-17-2019

Quote:

That stinks! Hopefully repairs will be quick. Good luck.

s/v Harmony
1973 Tartan 30 #186
Anchorage Marina, Baltimore MD

post #134 of 349 Old 04-18-2019
The most female moderator

Dock

Quote:
My year did not get off to a good start. Today I hit what was apparently a submerged railroad tie (based on the 8'x8' square deadhead that I saw bobbing astern of my boat). ...
Very, very sorry to read this. Good luck with the repair process.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #135 of 349 Old 04-18-2019
Trailer Sailer Moderator

The four ports on my boat are old, crazed (to the point it's hard to see through), and leaky around the frame. Over the weekend I received four new pieces of acrylic, custom cut, dark smoke. Port replacement will now commence!

But first, redoing the paint on the ceiling... That way I don't get any paint on the new acrylic. Or dust that would scratch it, or...

I'm hoping I can get all these projects done by June. Work gets in the way of having fun, but money makes it possible.
chef2sail likes this.

~ Rezz

S/v DreamWeaver
1980 Laguna Windrose 22
post #136 of 349 Old 04-20-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezz View Post
T
I'm hoping I can get all these projects done by June. Work gets in the way of having fun, but money makes it possible.
Yes, I do lament the way work intrudes on my recreational interests.

Good luck with you project. I've done my hatches, and my opening portlights are in decent shape. I do have some fixed portlights that are pretty crazed. I can still ignore them now so replacing them won't intrude on my recreational interests. lol

PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36
post #137 of 349 Old 04-20-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoSailor View Post
Yes, I do lament the way work intrudes on my recreational interests.

Good luck with you project. I've done my hatches, and my opening portlights are in decent shape. I do have some fixed portlights that are pretty crazed. I can still ignore them now so replacing them won't intrude on my recreational interests. lol
We are out on the loose today. We spent the AM putting the dinghy on the davits and tweaking the boat.

This week we had M Rigging from Annapolis do aninspection of the whole rig, retape spreader boots, put a second flag halyard in, a new Davis Windex ( one with spike on top so the birds can't land on it) , a new Raymarine wind instrument ( to replace the old half functioning one).

Winds were steady 20 gusts to 35 and rough out so we headed back up Mill Creek to quieter Anchorage.

All systems go for our LI Sound trip starting May 17 for 23 days,

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #138 of 349 Old 04-20-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldlaxer1 View Post
We had an abysmal 2018 season. We got a late start due to getting the house on the market and moving onto the Hatteras. But then it seems like every time we had the time to go sailing it was raining! We did two day trips and no overnighters. We are planning on moving the sailboat from the Anchorage Marina (where we live) to a marina much closer to the mouth of the Patapsco so we can get sailing much quicker and even one night overnight trips to the Magothy or Rock Hall are do-able. I'm having a hip replaced in early March so hopefully I'll be recovered in time for late spring/early summer sailing.

We had a terrible season too, same reasons are you. The new docks are in (moving back to my old slip E24 this Tuesday) and they look great. But I certainly understand what you are saying about wishing it wasn't a long sail to the mouth of the Patapsco.

This year we're hoping to do Annapolis for the first time and a week cruise. We planned the cruise last year but never got to do it. My wife, the less experienced one, said herself: "This year we are going even if it says thunderstorms possible late in the afternoon." So here's to a better year!
oldlaxer1 likes this.

Jim & Jacquelyn Eaton
s/v Pendragon
Anchorage Marina
Baltimore, MD
post #139 of 349 Old 04-22-2019
Sailor

I am looking for a recommendation for someone to go up the mast on my C & C 25 the bracket for my anchor light and windex has come unattached. The boat is in the Cambridge city marina. Thanks for any help
Jim W
post #140 of 349 Old 04-22-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_W View Post
I am looking for a recommendation for someone to go up the mast on my C & C 25 the bracket for my anchor light and windex has come unattached. The boat is in the Cambridge city marina. Thanksc for any help
Jim W
We just had M Rigging from Annapolis due outs but they will get you with travel time.

Possibly you can find someone in Oxford as their are a fair number of marine trades out of that area

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in