2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 16 - SailNet Community
 191Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #151 of 514 Old 05-05-2019

Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Really great sailing Saturday morning. Urbanna to Deltaville and almost back in five hours. Great to have a fresh bottom. I had my son doing the work so I wouldn't stress my back. Maybe I should bring him along more often.
chef2sail likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 514 Old 05-06-2019

Dock

May 17th and 18th is Chesapeake Light Crafts Okumefest. Even if you have no interest in building a boat it's worth coming out on the 18th as they have about a dozen sailing dinghies and probably twice that many kayaks and canoes that you can try out. It's completely free (as in free beer but without the beer). The event is held on Kent Island.

I'm hoping to have the kayak I've been building done by then, but I'll be there on the 18th either way.

https://www.clcboats.com/boatbuilding_classes/607.html

-Hugh
Attached Thumbnails
P1000527.JPG   P1000523.JPG   P1000541.JPG  
chef2sail and Rezz like this.

No matter where you go, ....
B&B Spindrift 11N
Past Adventures:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #153 of 514 Old 05-06-2019

First sail of season on saturday, and first ever with my own boat. Out of bodkin creek. Plowed along at a relaxing 1 kt. Only other sailboats we saw were motoring.. Not sure who were smarter, but we weren't going anywhere. Nothing broke on the boat and everyone survived so pretty successful I'd say..
PatMc57 likes this.

post #154 of 514 Old 05-06-2019 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Love anchoring in Jub Cove there and have a few friends at BYC. How much do you draw.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #155 of 514 Old 05-06-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Love anchoring in Jub Cove there and have a few friends at BYC. How much do you draw.
Just over 2 ft. So can get into most of the interesting places I think. Ok, found Jub Cove. I'll have to check out the places up the creek soon.

Last edited by Scandium; 05-06-2019 at 11:38 PM.
post #156 of 514 Old 05-07-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandium View Post
Just over 2 ft. So can get into most of the interesting places I think. Ok, found Jub Cove. I'll have to check out the places up the creek soon.
You fit in there and out of the way of the wakes

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #157 of 514 Old 05-09-2019

I just got ambushed with the need to work nights the end of next week which is something of a drag but does have the advantage of giving me 6 days off in a row starting tomorrow after work.

Stagg's flying out to join me and we are going to head down the Potomac saturday morning planning to anchor somewhere near the mouth of the bay that night then spend the first part of the week poking around the mid bay area then heading back up the Potomac on Wednesday afternoon - Thursday.

You local guys have any must see suggestions?

I am thinking Tangier and Smith Islands, American Mariner wreck for sure what else should we see? Anything we should avoid?

Looks like rainy weather but otherwise pretty settled and pleasant compared to our usual stomping grounds on Northern Lake Superior.
post #158 of 514 Old 05-09-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aswayze View Post
I just got ambushed with the need to work nights the end of next week which is something of a drag but does have the advantage of giving me 6 days off in a row starting tomorrow after work.

Stagg's flying out to join me and we are going to head down the Potomac saturday morning planning to anchor somewhere near the mouth of the bay that night then spend the first part of the week poking around the mid bay area then heading back up the Potomac on Wednesday afternoon - Thursday.

You local guys have any must see suggestions?

I am thinking Tangier and Smith Islands, American Mariner wreck for sure what else should we see? Anything we should avoid?

Looks like rainy weather but otherwise pretty settled and pleasant compared to our usual stomping grounds on Northern Lake Superior.

I’d go either north or south vs east. Very little to see over there except for Ononcock.

North you have Solomon’s, and the Pautuxat....further the Choptank ( Oxford and St Micheals via San Domingo Creek)

South you have lots of neat creeks on the northern neck ( Prentice, ,Indian, Dymer) Deltavile , Urbana and Carter Creek on the Rappahannack

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #159 of 514 Old 05-10-2019

Excellent intel, I appreciate it!

We are going to play it a bit by ear since the weather does not look particularly nice but will likely try shooting north and checking things out up there a bit.

I'll post up pictures and try my level best to keep up with you guys on the food front but it's not as easy to make smashing great meals on a 26 foot trailer sailor.
post #160 of 514 Old 05-10-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aswayze View Post
Excellent intel, I appreciate it!

We are going to play it a bit by ear since the weather does not look particularly nice but will likely try shooting north and checking things out up there a bit.

I'll post up pictures and try my level best to keep up with you guys on the food front but it's not as easy to make smashing great meals on a 26 foot trailer sailor.
Don’t forget forget about St Mary’s River (Carthagenea Creek) , Smith , or Jutland Creeks on the north side of the Potomac. Also Yeacomico and Coan on the southern side of the Potomac have great spots also

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in