2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 17 - SailNet Community
 173Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #161 of 454 Old 05-10-2019 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Lastly get the SailFlow Ap for wind , wave and projected conditions. No need for the Pro (paid) level

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 454 Old 05-10-2019

Sounds good, I will snap it up.

I am thinking to hit the bay on this trip since I should be able to see the Potomac easily enough on my usual weekends off.
post #163 of 454 Old 05-10-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aswayze View Post
Sounds good, I will snap it up.

I am thinking to hit the bay on this trip since I should be able to see the Potomac easily enough on my usual weekends off.
I understood that but weather looks like you may get your ass kicked Sunday through Wednesday.

Sunday is a rainy washout. Cold and dreary. Wind direction NE Sunday NE reports from Cove Point ( North of the Pautuxet) to Point Lookout predict 13-17 . gusts to 26. The Potomac proper north side will provide some protection. But the open Bay will be pretty rough.
East coasters refer this as nor’easter. Look at the wind field Sunday on the ocean....just 90 miles away. Steady 35 gusts in the high 40s ——that’s Gale Warnings

Take into consideration the the mouth of the Potomac gets hit with the Potomac current and very often is a notorious rough area. Many of us wait to transit it north or south unless you want a teeth rattling ride.

Use the Ap to look at the wind speed and direction along your planned route. We have found it to be pretty accurate 3 days forward.

The Potomac Creeks are just an alternative 😀👍🌪

Have fun....stay safe.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

post #164 of 454 Old 05-10-2019 Thread Starter

Down at Haleakula.
Big T storm just passed through.
Tomorrow looks like an ok day to do our final preparations, fuel up and pump out for our trip north to the LI Sound starting Thursday.

Replacing fore peak battery for the wash down pump, macerator, and holding tank monitor. Putting our pretty new Doyle 135 on the furler, and adding a new Tahatsu propane 5 hp engine to the dinghy. ( I got a good offer for my older 5 year old Lehr) and an introductory price for the Tahatsu. The whole switch was $600. Switching to a propane outboard 5 years ago was a good decision for us.

Long range prognosis may delay us a day in Cape May an extra day as a possible north eastern wind on next Saturday, but that’s far enough out that could modify or change. Would not even attempt Barnegat in NE conditions.

What won’t change is Sunday’s ( tomorrows) washout around here and strong nor -Easter like conditions with Gail gusts and cool weather. Good day to go home, make chili and bread and hunker down.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #165 of 454 Old 05-11-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I understood that but weather looks like you may get your ass kicked Sunday through Wednesday.

Sunday is a rainy washout. Cold and dreary. Wind direction NE Sunday NE reports from Cove Point ( North of the Pautuxet) to Point Lookout predict 13-17 . gusts to 26. The Potomac proper north side will provide some protection. But the open Bay will be pretty rough.
East coasters refer this as nor’easter. Look at the wind field Sunday on the ocean....just 90 miles away. Steady 35 gusts in the high 40s ——that’s Gale Warnings

Take into consideration the the mouth of the Potomac gets hit with the Potomac current and very often is a notorious rough area. Many of us wait to transit it north or south unless you want a teeth rattling ride.

Use the Ap to look at the wind speed and direction along your planned route. We have found it to be pretty accurate 3 days forward.

The Potomac Creeks are just an alternative 😀👍🌪

Have fun....stay safe.
And just that fast the prognosis changed ( after all it’s Maryland) . Not as severe winds but still will make for fun sailing where you want to go. The mouth of the Potomac is it’s own weather anomaly’s due to the tidal river. There’s plenty to explore and good sailing in the lower creeks if you want to be more protected than in the open Bay. Suggest you download Active Captain. Wealth of knowledge and info of All the creeks and anchorages everywhere from a boaters perspective. Also a free Ap.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #166 of 454 Old 05-11-2019 Thread Starter

New 135 on...took her for a sail. Winds 10-13 from the N mostly. Tied up some loose ends went up to Back Creek to top off and pump out. Too a whole 2.3 gallons. That’s 3 hours motoring for our miserly Yanmar.

Back to the slip for dinner as rain forecast .

Simple grilled items. Filets , Portobellos marinated in Balsamic and grilled, red skinned potato salad.

We are ready to go Thursday.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #167 of 454 Old 05-11-2019

We are staying aboard at our marina tonight. We sailed across the bay on a reach with 8-12 knots of steady wind. We could have easily made for Rock Hall or the Chester but thought better of it with tomorrow’s weather forecast and headed back. The girls had their hearts set on staying aboard tonight so we are forging ahead. It’s great to be out even if it’s not ideal weather.

s/v Spindrift
Beneteau Oceanis 400
formerly Lippincott 30
post #168 of 454 Old 05-11-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4arch View Post
We are staying aboard at our marina tonight. We sailed across the bay on a reach with 8-12 knots of steady wind. We could have easily made for Rock Hall or the Chester but thought better of it with tomorrow’s weather forecast and headed back. The girls had their hearts set on staying aboard tonight so we are forging ahead. It’s great to be out even if it’s not ideal weather.
That’s great they wanted to stay overnight.
Happy B Day to Jojo

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #169 of 454 Old 05-11-2019

My boat remains on the hard awaiting repairs for impact damage to prop, shaft, and strut. Tomorrow will be 4 weeks since it happened. All parts were received 2-1/2 weeks ago. The old strut was removed 2 weeks ago, new strut was laid in place a week ago, then bedded and bolted today. It seems like they do a little something every Saturday morning (when they know I'm coming), and then it sits until the next Saturday. Since I'm often in Milwaukee during the week, I can't just head down to the boat and keep them on their toes. Last Saturday they had told me the strut would be bedded/bolted on Tuesday; filling, fairing, and painting would be Wed-Fri; boat dropped in the water Saturday (today), they'd be off Sun-Mon, then engine alignment Tue am, sea trial with me Tue pm, and I'd take her away Wednesday. I sent email last Thursday asking status and heard nothing. Yesterday when I called the owner said the timeline was "out the window" and they'd email me with a new timeline. (That email never came.) When I called this morning they were bolting the strut on, so I know they had done nothing since last Saturday. I've begged them to have it in the water by Friday so I can take it to Rock Hall Saturday. After next Saturday I have 9 days of business travel plus my son's college graduation, so the boat wouldn't be available until after Memorial Day.

Beyond what I've said, I'm not going to name names or call them out. There are always two sides of every story, and maybe they have valid reasons. This is a very small yard, basically one guy does all the work and drives the lift. Communication is almost non-existent, but I know from what I've seen that this guy always has a lot of work to do in the yard and on the docks, and can't sit in front of a computer all day sending out status emails. He gets pulled in all directions at once. So I'm trying to be as forgiving and easygoing as I can.

I went down today and lapped on my brand new Flexofold 3-blade prop and put a new anode on the brand new shaft. I have yet to put an anode on the new strut, and will try to do it one day this week, or have the yard do it if I can't get there. But since I'm in town this week I'm thinking of going down Tues or Wed evening to see if they've done anything more, and put the strut anode on then.
chef2sail likes this.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Last edited by TakeFive; 05-11-2019 at 10:57 PM.
post #170 of 454 Old 05-11-2019 Thread Starter

Hope you get in soon.
Weather has been very fickle so far.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in