SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

64K views 519 replies 53 participants last post by  chef2sail 
#1 ·
Can the mods make this thread a sticky as they always do please

It's a new year (almost) and the most posted in Sailnet continuous thread lives on. Happy New Year, good health and safet travels to all😄🤘🌪

Our plans this year include a 3 week trip at the end May to the Long Island Sound and the Mystic, Greenport, Sag Harbor and Newport areas. Hopefully we meet up with some native SN up there ( SanderO are you listening)

Also a traditional 13 day mid September excursion to the the southern Chesapeake reaches , including Yorktown, Hampton Roads, Northern Neck of Virginia stops

Anyone planning any interesting excursionions.

#2 ·
I feel so scandalous posting in this thread five days early! :)

I don't have anything planned for 2019 yet, except a soft reservation for the Pirates and Wenches weekend. I want to get out more this year, and maybe try a solo trip or two. Oh, and more boat work. New plex ports, and new paint on the inside.

#3 ·
Anyone planning any interesting excursionions.
Interesting contraction of two words: excursion and onions. Mixing travel and food...I like it. :grin

Our next "excursionions" is up to Annapolis to check out a couple of Catalina 42 MK's and a Catalina 40. Unless there are compelling reasons not to consider these models (I know..This may be opening a rabbit hole so please be kind).

Hoping to find our first cruiser (we have been dingy racers) and use it extensively around The Bay for the next two years after which I get to retire and then cruise the east coast.

#9 ·
I have no problem with the models you're interested in, so long as you use them in the way that they were intended. Coastal cruisers with occasional hops to offshore islands. There may be better boats for crossing oceans, but that would come at the cost of interior space and some creature comforts. For ocean crossing, you'd want more storage and less space, and hull forms that deal with ocean conditions. There's lots of debate here about that.

Be sure you know what you're getting into with maintenance and upkeep. Going from dinghy sailing to 40-42' is a big hop. The issue isn't whether you can sail safety - that's the easy part. It's all about maintenance and storage expense.

It's important to consider a surveyor's style when selecting one. Do you want to follow him around during the survey and learn from him, or leave him alone and let him do his thing by himself. Some surveyors are less patient with inquisitive owners.

Curt Sarratt did a good job for me 3 years ago, and knows Catalinas very well.

I had very good recommendations for and phone conversations with Bob Skord and Robert Noyce, but both had scheduling conflicts that prevented me from considering them.

Chef's suggestions are all on my list of good people from 3 years ago.

Reactions: ImGary01
#10 · (Edited)
It's important to consider a surveyor's style when selecting one. Do you want to follow him around during the survey and learn from him, or leave him alone and let him do his thing by himself. Some surveyors are less patient with inquisitive owners.
TakeFive,

I'm definitely one that wants to shadow my surveyor. I expect there to be problems with any boat so if the surveyor points them out to me as he/she is going through the boat, 1.) I will better understand the problem and 2.) I will be putting together a list of things that I can tackle and those that I cannot and finally 3.) prioritizing fixes that cannot wait (i.e safety) and those that can. I understand they are there to do a job and would not slow them down any more than I have to but I need to know what the boat has in store for me.

I don't have any inclination to cross oceans, at least not until I have been cruising the East coast for many years. The plan is to visit with my daughter in Boston for the summer and early Fall seasons, then head south as it gets cold. Fall in the mid-Atlantic (Chesapeake) is pretty spectacular, then head to Charleston for the winter. Maybe a bit further south if the weather in Charleston is not to my liking. Primarily, I'm looking for a coastal cruiser, light to medium displacement, capable of being sailed short handed and with good performance characteristics.

I forgot to mention that I have also completed the ASA 101 and 103 courses and taken several cruises on an Island packet 32 so I'm not completely out of my element on a cruising boat.

Many thanks for your input.

#11 ·
I'm not yet sure exactly where we'll be going or what we'll be doing in 2019 but we'll probably continue working the kids up to more anchoring and more 3 and 4 day excursions. My wife and I usually spend a January or February evening planning our sailing season - even down to single overnights. Not necessarily exact destinations - but at least blocking out the time. We find getting everything on the calendar far in advance helps keep other commitments from creeping in to steal sailing time. Also gives us something to look forward to during the depths of winter!

I have gotten started on winter projects. I installed the B&G V50 VHF and wireless RAM bought at the boat show. It should be a nice upgrade from our 20+ year old VHF. I replaced our dripless shaft seal which had started dripping slightly. I also started cutting out waste hoses in our aft head - nasty job but due for replacement. I plan to replace the engine exhaust hose but having a hard time figuring out how to get the existing one out. Need to do more research.

#12 ·
We had an abysmal 2018 season. We got a late start due to getting the house on the market and moving onto the Hatteras. But then it seems like every time we had the time to go sailing it was raining! We did two day trips and no overnighters. We are planning on moving the sailboat from the Anchorage Marina (where we live) to a marina much closer to the mouth of the Patapsco so we can get sailing much quicker and even one night overnight trips to the Magothy or Rock Hall are do-able. I'm having a hip replaced in early March so hopefully I'll be recovered in time for late spring/early summer sailing.

#13 ·
We are planning on moving the sailboat from the Anchorage Marina (where we live) to a marina much closer to the mouth of the Patapsco so we can get sailing much quicker and even one night overnight trips to the Magothy or Rock Hall are do-able.
Good move. Which marina are you going to? We loved the Anchorage (except for the parking situation) but being near the mouth really does open up not just Rock Hall and the Magothy, but Worton, Still Pond, the Chester, and even Annapolis as reasonable weekend overnight destinations.

I did see they are replacing docks at the Anchorage. I dropped off some canvas to the shop there a couple of weeks ago and saw a few of the docks all taken apart. It's good that they are keeping the place up, although I imagine higher fees are to follow.

#15 ·
I'm looking at possibly doing the Around Long Island Regatta this year for the first time. Does anyone have any experience with it? The dates for 2019 have not been posted yet, but it is usually toward the end of July. Part of that decision is if I'll be doing it on my boat, which involves a cruise up and back from Philly or on my brothers boat which is already up in NY but may not be available.

Other trips I plan to repeat from this past season are a several night trip through the C&D down to the Magothy River to raft up with friends, and some more exploring of what the Delaware River Bay have to offer for day or weekend trips.

#36 ·
Around Long Island Regatta

Hello,

I have done the ALIR 2014-2018 and I will be doing it again this year.

I think it's a fun race. It's long enough so that you will experience every type of weather: no wind, too much wind, cold, hot, wet, dry, etc., but you never HAVE to be out of sight of land. Two years ago the start was moved to NY Harbor. That was a great idea and start is really great. It is a challenge to get a good start, get clean air, and avoid the ferries, commercial traffic, and other distractions. Then it's under the Verrazano bridge and into the Atlantic ocean.

Anyway, what else would you like to know? I race on a well set up C&C 35 mark 3. it usually takes us about 36 hours to do the race. We have a good sail inventory and we usually end of flying each sail at some point in the race. We try to have a crew of 6 experienced people. Would you be sailing spinnaker or non spin class? Personally, i would not do it on a non spin boat - it would just take too long. Feel free to ask any questions.

Some Chessie and other thoughts:
-I've been sailing on the Long Island sound since 2003. I plan on retiring in 4-5 years. I would like to move somewhere on the east coast - with a longer sailing season (the season here is really mid May to mid October), lower cost of living, and and active racing and cruising scene.
-I looked at Oriental (too sleepy) and New Bern NC (not good sailing)
-I looked briefly at Gloucester Point VA - also too sleepy, and a little bit at Hampton VA. I think Hampton has promise. Any comments on Hampton VA from a retirement / sailboat racing and cruising perspective?

Thanks,
Barry

I'm looking at possibly doing the Around Long Island Regatta this year for the first time. Does anyone have any experience with it? The dates for 2019 have not been posted yet, but it is usually toward the end of July. Part of that decision is if I'll be doing it on my boat, which involves a cruise up and back from Philly or on my brothers boat which is already up in NY but may not be available.

#17 ·
I sure will. I've used Brian for short hauls, winter storage and a weekly bottom paint haul so I'm very familiar with the place. great views, plenty of parking and as you say, access to the bay is tough to beat.

#18 ·
You all are killing me with your sailing plans for the bay. We're still 2 years away from being there full time :(.....hope to do at least one day out on the bay again this year.

We've chartered a boat from Norton Yacht's (Deltaville VA) the last two years. Anyone have another recommendation on a place rent a sailboat from in Virginia?

#22 ·
You all are killing me with your sailing plans for the bay. We're still 2 years away from being there full time :(.....hope to do at least one day out on the bay again this year.

We've chartered a boat from Norton Yacht's (Deltaville VA) the last two years. Anyone have another recommendation on a place rent a sailboat from in Virginia?
Annapolis is a great place to charter from. You will have more options for sailing to different ports and staying in Annapolis (if you don't want to overnight in a different port) is always a great time. Can't beat the sailing culture there.

#20 ·
The jury is out on if we'll have a 2019 season.

Between the crummy weather and life demands, we got very little use of the boat last year.

This year I have family issues that will demand a good deal of travel to SC which will take up potential sailing weekends. In light of the cost and demands on our time, we made the difficult decision to give up our slip and take a "wait and see" approach to launching the boat this spring.

If we do launch, we'll have to decide on if we take a slip at HHN/HHS, Shipwright or somewhere else.

#21 · (Edited)
Visited Haleakula yesterday. Quietly sitting in her slip on Whitehall Creek with a few of her friends. Winter canvas doing it's job protecting her from winter winds.

Our goal is always March 15 75 days from now. Plan is to have her hauled briefly at Hartage for a compound and wax , touch up leading edges of keel and rudder with Ultima 60, have a couplete rigging inspection. The rod was redone 15 years ago. Have our wind instrument replaced.

We will as u see u as long o lots of cruising on the Bay .

First vacation of three weeks will be a jaunt up to Newport, via Cape May . Pobably including , Block Island Greenport, Sag Harbor , Mystic, Mattituck, Northport, Port Washington, Atlantic highlands and Barnegat. Looking at leaving May 23 . While we have visited these areas on other trips up, we will enjoy seeing them again.

If anyone would like to travel up or meet up there let me know.

Second vacation of two weeks will be a southern Chesapeake one. Yorktown, ( a number of days) James River, Rappahanock, many of the northern neck of Virginia creeks. Looks like the second and third weeks of September. Always keep a watchful eye are this time as it's when the he hurricanes/ storms can come up the coast.

#23 ·
I can never plan, I just go as often as possible. As a liveaboard I am committed to keeping the boat ready to sail and not become a condo in a slip. That also offers a lot more short trips during the weekdays. In addition, sailing in the winter months is possible when weather is acceptable for myself or guest. That said, this year I will be removing the sails for some minor updates and maintenance needs, something I have not done since they went on new a few years ago.

I am hopeful to get out in the ocean this summer with a trip somewhere North, definitely Martha's Vineyard and Newport, other stops will be planned along the way to and from.

Spring and Summer cannot come fast enough, in the meantime snow skiing and wine by a fire will do.

#25 ·
I can never plan, I just go as often as possible. As a liveaboard I am committed to keeping the boat ready to sail and not become a condo in a slip. That also offers a lot more short trips during the weekdays. In addition, sailing in the winter months is possible when weather is acceptable for myself or guest. That said, this year I will be removing the sails for some minor updates and maintenance needs, something I have not done since they went on new a few years ago.

I am hopeful to get out in the ocean this summer with a trip somewhere North, definitely Martha's Vineyard and Newport, other stops will be planned along the way to and from.

Spring and Summer cannot come fast enough, in the meantime snow skiing and wine by a fire will do.
I completely agree and was able to get out on New Years Day to enjoy the sun and wind! A great way to start off 2019.

#28 ·
This is a fun winter thread. Thanks for posting. My Wife, Son and I do an annual 4th of July trip. Usually Montauk/Block Island. This year we will probably do Mattituck and Fishers Island. We are based in Liberty Harbor and sail a Jonmeri 33. We sail every weekend/Wednesday night races.

Feel free to send me a message if in the area!

Mark

#29 ·
Will try to get in reasonably early and start hitting our regular closer spots in the spring, Still Pond, Wortons, Swan Creek, Baltimore , Annapolis, Magothy and Reed Creek off the Chester.
When warmer weather comes along with longer weekends to stretch out we want to explore more below Annapolis, heard there are many nice anchorages to check out. Will hit St. Michaels and Shaw Bay / Wye River again as we love that area.

Here is hoping for better sailing weather this year and not some much flooding and debris.

Jeff

#30 ·
All great places. Get down to the Choptank , lots of neat spots, Oxford, St Micheals via San Domingo , Boby ( spelled correctly) Owl Creek , La Trappe

#32 ·
Went down to the boat on Sunday. Trying to take advantage of relatively warm days to work on interior projects. Finished ripping out the old sanitation hoses for the aft head. Nasty job. Got the new hoses fed through and just need to trim to length and finish up the connections. I decided to use Raritan Saniflex hose. It's very flexible, very easy to work with and supposed to be very resistant to odor permeation. We'll see!

#35 ·
We've visited Newport with Haleakula many times. Even though I am an ardent Chessie person and been accused by a banned poster on here as being a part of the "Chesapeake Posse", I have to think Newport is the east coast as at capital of sailing. Annapokis has the best sailboat show hands down, but when you visit that RI Harbor and see the many 5 spreader masts, 12 meter boats racing daily and look at the various ports of call, it's hard to argue. Plus the town, shops and facilities for sailing are incredible. Hosting the Americas Cup all those years with it's great einf too.

We love to sail both areas, LI Sound/ Newport/ Massacheuettes,.....and the many gunkhole spots on our Chessapeake. No need to have a best...they are both top notch.

Reactions: Jeff356
#37 ·
....Even though I am an ardent Chessie person and been accused by a banned poster on here as being a part of the "Chesapeake Posse",......
"Chesapeake Posse"?!? Sounds like a good excuse for a special burgee or secret signal flag - particularly if a "banned poster" has already weighed in.
Maybe a crab on a field of umber (for times the Conowingo Dam opens) with a "Sailing Capital of the World" legend?

#38 · (Edited)
Lol....the burgee idea was passed around . My wife and I used to host a Chessie get together 14 years ago and did it for 7 years. That's where the "posse" started. The get together drew as many as 70 and as few as 50.

The trick was to have a venue someplace where people could anchor , take a slip, or come by car. We were at MYC at the time and it was the perfect place IMHO. After 7 years we tired of organizing it. Others have hosted for a year or two, but never really got the same numbers. I found also the other important factor aside from the venue was the point person had to really lead and pick the date early . The point person needed to really lead it. No time is good for everyone. But picking a date early like soon gave people a chance before they had other commitments.

Quite a few still post here and many of us remain friends and get together and raft up or meet at the Annapolis boat show. The original posse were 4arch, JeeffH, Takefive ( he always came the furthest from NJ) , T37chef, Auspicious, Aa3j , Travelneasy, and Joe Mccartney ( I forgot his boats name) , added on were DonnaF, Gladrags I think, I know I'm missing some I'm sorry. Many made it multiple times. Best part was the commaradiere. Food was good too with Two chefs there. Gary always had music, green coconut margaritas , and homemade kaluah.

Another offshoot was we found out Joe ( who now has passed on) was a professional photographer for the Washington Post and others. Some we of us have avatars with his pictures as we got together on mi see the day on the Severn by Annapolis .He stood on the rte 450 bridge and snapped away as we passed underneath it.
I still have well, over 450 digital photographs of all the boats that day on a stick. That winter we all got together at a Deep Creek, Magothy restaurant for brunch where he handed out large poster size photos of our boats to some of us. Ours is framed under glass and is in our family room still. God bless Joe...

It's funny we all have different personalities on here....mine sometimes biting and abrasive, but I can say we all have basically remained cordial and sometimes even closer. In person our real personas come out vs the internet ones, and many of us get along really well. After all e are all sailors ���������� I think us meeting in person created a bond a a sailing friendsship. What our larger detractor never understood that the "posse" nickname was built from this positive base and we could never all think alike as he insinuated. In additionion we had a common bond and never liked seeing another attacked on here.

SN has been great and I have been lucky as I've met some of the members on here from Long Island, Newport, New Jersry and other places we've traveled up north. I've talked on the phone with others too. Just recently I called SanderO for some advice for our upcoming trip and hope to have a drink/ break bed when we go up there.

This is the best of SN and why I stay here after as one 9,400 posts. I like to post on our travels on the Chesapeake and our dinners. I haven't been a real chef for so Dr k for 20+ years. Listing our adventures gives others and newbie places they might want to visit. M as my are weekend trips, . The food, is a passion for me...just like T37chef. Just because we are on a small boAt doesn't mean you can't make creative stuff. Food also brings people together.

So anyone can be part of the "posse" . Justt have respect. An Dr if someone wants to take the lead on a burger...I'm in. We eliminated the "crab" only and got as far as an outline of the Bay from top to I bottom

#39 ·
Well, despite the weather we're working with right now, I made today a sailing related day. I drove down to Annapolis to eat at my favorite place there, Miss Shirley's, and to spend some time at Annapolis Performance Sailing. APS - Annapolis Performance Sailing | APS They have a line and rigging sale until mid month, and I needed new lifelines.

I forgot to take a picture of my cheese graters, er, old lifelines, with half the vinyl peeled off. Instead, I'm replacing them with Dyneema. 17 feet each side with an eye on one side and a luggage tag on the other, for $160. I should have them sometime next month when their Dyneema arrives from backorder.

I'll share pics of the new lifelines once they get put on... and by then y'all will have forgotten about this conversation :)

#41 ·
Went to visit my boat on Saturday. While I was moving around inside, things started shaking like it was on the trailer again. Got out, checked the stands, and found the mid and aft stands were loose. There is a motor boat on one side of my boat and another sailboat on the other side. Out of curiosity, I checked the stands on the neighboring sailboat and it too had loose stands mid and aft. Tightened all of them and went on about my day. Called and told the marina yesterday that they might want to check all the stands in the yard. Glad I found out about it. Would hate to hear my boat fell over.

#42 ·
This sounds very odd. Are the stands chained together properly? Are the stands on gravel? If so, do they have plywood underneath? Stands don't just lower themselves unless there's some underlying support issue.

#45 ·
I check my stands every time I go to the boat in the winter. Front stands are on harder packed gravel and rarely need tightening, rear stands are on less densely packed gravel and do need tightening after the heavy rain or extreme freeze thaw cycles we have been having.

The tightening is usually less than a 1/4 turn, but the rear plywood pads are now completely covered.

I also check water drainage on the cockpit floor for side to side level.

#47 ·
We've had some extremes in weather, going from deep cold to 50 degrees quickly, some melting snow and a lot of rain since last summer. All of that comes into play in the storage yard. If wind is working against the hull a tiny bit of motion over an extended time can also slightly loosen boat stands.
Most of the boats in our DIY yard are on hard packed stone where boats have been stored for years. Almost everybody uses plywood squares under the stands, those who don't usually figure it out or are told by season two. Whatever the preparations most winters the ground and the boats move a bit.
We each check our own stands and usually the neighboring boats every couple weeks and it is not unusual to have to tighten or loosen stands. Not a big deal, just part of life in a boatyard.
As Ulladh mentioned, most of the time it is a 1/4 turn or so, but with lots of rain or quick freezes combined with not checking for a few weeks it might be more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.