2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 18 - SailNet Community
 107Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #171 of 252 Old 05-12-2019
Sailor

Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Your not missing much weekend weather has not been good. I have been in the water since early April and have only left the dock once due to weather. If this keeps up i may have to retire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #172 of 252 Old 05-12-2019

Down at Smith Creek by Point Lookout now. Had a lovely sail down from Dahlgren to Herring Creek yesterday afternoon and have been basically just hanging out and goofing off most of today.

Did some rig tuning, remounted my solar panels, and made up a day tank for my forced air heater which has been doing sterling service drying things out with the fairly persistent rains this weekend.

Another short day tomorrow. Going to jump out and cross over to see American Mariner then in to Smith Island where I will need to take on diesel... For the heater... The little Yanmar is not getting much run time on this trip other than some short 30 minute runs in the morning to top up the batteries since the solar cells are not earning their pay this time around.

Previous trips up north have typically been pretty frantic with us leaving before dawn and frequently arriving past 10pm so the shorter goals and more laid back pace has been nice.
post #173 of 252 Old 05-12-2019

Try to get up the st mary river on your way back up the Potomac. Also, Canoe Neck Creek off of st clements bay is worth exploring.

post #174 of 252 Old 05-13-2019
Administrator

What a weekend on the Chesapeake. I ended up sailing double-handed in the Spring Race to Oxford in CHESSS Class(Chesapeake Short-handed Sailing Society). CHESSS had the second largest number of boats entered in the race. CHESSS Class was won by the ‘Narrow Escape’, a Dragonfly 25 Trimaran Garner Bennett and I pulled a second place on ‘Synergy’. Probably the most impressive performance of the day was John Zseleczky, (a SailNet member) who single-handed his Pearson 30, “Old Blue’ to a third place finish correcting out less than 17 minutes behind the class winner. CHESSS Commodore Rich Acuti (Ajax on SailNet) and his bride took fourth on his new to him Tartan 33, 'Alacrity'.

The race itself was marvelous sailing, with a long spinnaker run between the start and the first turning mark (green '7' near Sharps Island) in 8 to 12 knots of wind with a few higher gusts of the day. From there it was a series of very fast close reaches and beats to the finish. I have gotten my boat re-rated for a 3 seconds a mile credit for a 110% genoa as my largest racing headsail (rather than the prior rating with a 155%). I was extremely pleased with the way that worked out.

Before the race, there was speculation that the race would be a race within a race with the higher performance boats racing each other and the ‘good old boats’ (GOB’s) racing in a second tier. The high performance entries into the CHESSS fleet included the class winner “Narrow Escape”, the fifth place foiling Figaro 3, a well-prepared Seascape 27 and a couple Mini-Transat 6.50’s. The GOB crews got to enjoy the spectacle of the current generation boats at speed, but in the end it turned out that GOB’s corrected out to 3 of the 5 top finishers.

Some of my most exciting moments of my day came on the way to the course before the start when a pawl shattered in the halyard winch and locked up the winch with the mainsail part way up. I cross-sheeted to another winch raised the mainsail. On the way to the start I was able to tear the winch down, clean out the debris, install a replacement pawl, and get it back up and running. Once done with that, I discovered that the boom vang shackle had failed after the pin had backed out. It was amazing how this heavy duty shackle had become so twisted. Fortunately I had a spare for that as well.

The trip home was chilly, wet and wild sailing in frequently heavy rain conditions and 15 to 20 knot breezes gusting into the low 20 knot range . After a couple jibes in the Tred Avon, the trip home was very fast a tack-less set of beam reaches and close reaches covering the 38 NM rhumbline (according to the GPS) in approximately 5 hours. (I cannot recall when a hot shower felt so good).

Cheers,
Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 05-13-2019 at 10:28 AM.
post #175 of 252 Old 05-13-2019 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
What a weekend on the Chesapeake. I ended up sailing double-handed in the Spring Race to Oxford in CHESSS Class(Chesapeake Short-handed Sailing Society). CHESSS had the second largest number of boats entered in the race. CHESSS Class was won by the ‘Narrow Escape’, a Dragonfly 25 Trimaran Garner Bennett and I pulled a second place on ‘Synergy’. Probably the most impressive performance of the day was John Zseleczky, (a SailNet member) who single-handed his Pearson 30, “Old Blue’ to a third place finish correcting out less than 17 minutes behind the class winner. CHESSS Commodore Rich Acuti (Ajax on SailNet) and his bride took fourth on his new to him Tartan 33, 'Alacrity'.

The race itself was marvelous sailing, with a long spinnaker run between the start and the first turning mark (green '7' near Sharps Island) in 8 to 12 knots of wind with a few higher gusts of the day. From there it was a series of very fast close reaches and beats to the finish. I have gotten my boat re-rated for a 3 seconds a mile credit for a 110% genoa as my largest racing headsail (rather than the prior rating with a 155%). I was extremely pleased with the way that worked out.

Before the race, there was speculation that the race would be a race within a race with the higher performance boats racing each other and the ‘good old boats’ (GOB’s) racing in a second tier. The high performance entries into the CHESSS fleet included the class winner “Narrow Escape”, the fifth place foiling Figaro 3, a well-prepared Seascape 27 and a couple Mini-Transat 6.50’s. The GOB crews got to enjoy the spectacle of the current generation boats at speed, but in the end it turned out that GOB’s corrected out to 3 of the 5 top finishers.

Some of my most exciting moments of my day came on the way to the course before the start when a pawl shattered in the halyard winch and locked up the winch with the mainsail part way up. I cross-sheeted to another winch raised the mainsail. On the way to the start I was able to tear the winch down, clean out the debris, install a replacement pawl, and get it back up and running. Once done with that, I discovered that the boom vang shackle had failed after the pin had backed out. It was amazing how this heavy duty shackle had become so twisted. Fortunately I had a spare for that as well.

The trip home was chilly, wet and wild sailing in frequently heavy rain conditions and 15 to 20 knot breezes gusting into the low 20 knot range . After a couple jibes in the Tred Avon, the trip home was very fast a tack-less set of beam reaches and close reaches covering the 38 NM rhumbline (according to the GPS) in approximately 5 hours. (I cannot recall when a hot shower felt so good).

Cheers,
Jeff

Good show

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #176 of 252 Old 05-13-2019
Daniel - Norsea 27

Had a great weekend. Went sailing on a friend's Shannon 28 on Saturday out of HHN. Earlier in the morning before there was any wind, I took my sailing dinghy out, setting up the mast for the first time. Wind came up enough I raised the sail and cruised around a little around Rockhold Creek in front of HHN. Really enjoyed being in the water with the dinghy and my friends Shannon.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190511_081229_1557798616806.jpg   IMG_20190511_074323_1557798646191.jpg   IMG_20190511_072238_1557798671719.jpg  
chef2sail and ThereYouAre like this.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
post #177 of 252 Old 05-15-2019

Back rolling coal up the Potomac with the trusty Yanmar now. Steady winds right on the nose all day today and unfortunately miles which must be made to get back in time to get to work.

Had some great sailing yesterday coming back from Smith Island down to Reedville. Beam reach most of the way in 10-15kts with fairly smooth waves of only about 3 feet with a pretty long period. Saw a new boat speed record of 7.1 kts which is a pretty respectable clip for a short fat 26 foot boat like East Wind. Even had the Assymetrical up for a bit in the morning before the wind piped up and made her handle like a bag of angry cats.

Did manage to get crabcakes at the one open restaurant we came across at Smith Island that was open but have otherwise been cooking aboard. Nothing too cheffy but we're not starving. Had ribeyes last night with steamed carrots and a caprese salad. The previous dinner we cooked was a good hearty from scratch chicken noodle soup which was spot on in the cold rain. Even came with a dessert crab who happened to fall for the old chicken bone on a string trick. Tonight is beef curry which I look forward to as well.
chef2sail likes this.
post #178 of 252 Old 05-15-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aswayze View Post
Back rolling coal up the Potomac with the trusty Yanmar now. Steady winds right on the nose all day today and unfortunately miles which must be made to get back in time to get to work.

Had some great sailing yesterday coming back from Smith Island down to Reedville. Beam reach most of the way in 10-15kts with fairly smooth waves of only about 3 feet with a pretty long period. Saw a new boat speed record of 7.1 kts which is a pretty respectable clip for a short fat 26 foot boat like East Wind. Even had the Assymetrical up for a bit in the morning before the wind piped up and made her handle like a bag of angry cats.

Did manage to get crabcakes at the one open restaurant we came across at Smith Island that was open but have otherwise been cooking aboard. Nothing too cheffy but we're not starving. Had ribeyes last night with steamed carrots and a caprese salad. The previous dinner we cooked was a good hearty from scratch chicken noodle soup which was spot on in the cold rain. Even came with a dessert crab who happened to fall for the old chicken bone on a string trick. Tonight is beef curry which I look forward to as well.
Sounds like you had a great time. Explore Ononcock on the Eastern shore on you next trip . Great little town with eclectic pubs and restaurants.

Sound like you had good eats too��������

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #179 of 252 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Last Saturday was CHESSS's annual Spring General Membership Meeting. The bylaws require that CHESSS have two general membership meetings each year so there was no way to duck out of having it.

Commodore Rich (Ajax around here) came up with the idea that since CHESSS (Chesapeake Short-handed Sailing Society) is a sailing club and not a sitting in a stuffy bar on a nice day in sailing season kind of club, we should hold the annual Spring CHESSS General Membership Meeting at a raft up. Not being a board to leave well enough alone, we decided that it would be fun to include a short length Short-handed race to the raft-up. And not being a board to quit while they were ahead, we decided the event needed a name, and gave it the moniker, "The First Annual Gather and Gab Race and Raft up", a name which was almost longer than the event itself. There was a pretty good turn out for the race and for the membership meeting.

As billed the short-handed race was pretty short in distance and duration. Being held in pretty light breezes, the decision was made to pick the shorter of the two courses so that we could get the boats to the raft-up in Mill Creek (the one off Whitehall Bay) on time for the scheduled meeting. The race started in a north east breeze and so the first leg consisted of a beat/ close reach. There was a lot of current running and the wind was slowly swinging to the east, so most of the fleet tacked inshore early to get out of the current and take advantage of the anticipated wind shift. There were only two legs on the short course and the second and final leg to the finish turned out to be a close reach across the current.

The racers included a couple really fast boats, a Figaro 3 and an Xp-38. The Figaro is a real sight to see when its at speed, clouds of black sail and bright orange foils extended.
Unfortunately, this picture was taken after the race with her sails mostly down.
L' Defonce

It is amazing how much sail this boat can set when it is underway. Intimidating....

The X-38 is an amazingly cool boat. It is beautifully detailed, and just a lovely boat to see. This is an impressive boat in pretty much every way, from its deck layout that is free of tripping hazards, very comfortable cockpit, sensible interior layout with easy to reach grab bars and low maintenance finishes, carbon fiber hull and internal framing, to its nicely proportioned sail plan. One of the nicest all around boats that I can remember seeing in a very long time. This is a picture of a sistership of the Xp38.
Xp38 sistership

After the race, the raft-up and meeting occurred as advertised. Commodore Rich brought along a drone and took this 'family photo'.
Raft-up after the CHESSS Gather and Gab Race

Synergy is the dark blue hull in the middle with the anchor down. The Xp38 is to her starboard. Notice the sheer height of the mast and headstay on the Xp38 compared to Synergy, and Synergy is the roughly the same length and has a pretty large sail plan. Other than the boats in the picture there was the Figaro 3, which was too deep to come in to the raft-up, and there was also an Oday 34 which chose to go home after the race rather than go into the creek for the raft-up. One of the board members volunteered out to ferry members who chose to drive to the raft-up in his Porta-Bote.

Anyway, that was my Saturday on the Bay. Sunday I needed to go into the office and get some work done.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:31 PM.
post #180 of 252 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
Last Saturday was CHESSS's annual Spring General Membership Meeting. The bylaws require that CHESSS have two general membership meetings each year so there was no way to duck out of having it.

Commodore Rich (Ajax around here) came up with the idea that since CHESSS (Chesapeake Short-handed Sailing Society) is a sailing club and not a sitting in a stuffy bar on a nice day in sailing season kind of club, we should hold the annual Spring CHESSS General Membership Meeting at a raft up. Not being a board to leave well enough alone, we decided that it would be fun to include a short length Short-handed race to the raft-up. And not being a board to quit while they were ahead, we decided the event needed a name, and gave it the moniker, "The First Annual Gather and Gab Race and Raft up", a name which was almost longer than the event itself. There was a pretty good turn out for the race and for the membership meeting.

As billed the short-handed race was pretty short in distance and duration. Being held in pretty light breezes, the decision was made to pick the shorter of the two courses so that we could get the boats to the raft-up in Mill Creek (the one off Whitehall Bay) on time for the scheduled meeting. The race started in a north east breeze and so the first leg consisted of a beat/ close reach. There was a lot of current running and the wind was slowly swinging to the east, so most of the fleet tacked inshore early to get out of the current and take advantage of the anticipated wind shift. There were only two legs on the short course and the second and final leg to the finish turned out to be a close reach across the current.

The racers included a couple really fast boats, a Figaro 3 and an Xp-38. The Figaro is a real sight to see when its at speed, clouds of black sail and bright orange foils extended.
Unfortunately, this picture was taken after the race with her sails mostly down.
L' Defonce

It is amazing how much sail this boat can set when it is underway. Intimidating....

The X-38 is an amazingly cool boat. It is beautifully detailed, and just a lovely boat to see. This is an impressive boat in pretty much every way, from its deck layout that is free of tripping hazards, very comfortable cockpit, sensible interior layout with easy to reach grab bars and low maintenance finishes, carbon fiber hull and internal framing, to its nicely proportioned sail plan. One of the nicest all around boats that I can remember seeing in a very long time. This is a picture of a sistership of the Xp38.
Xp38 sistership

After the race, the raft-up and meeting occurred as advertised. Commodore Rich brought along a drone and took this 'family photo'.
Raft-up after the CHESSS Gather and Gab Race

Synergy is the dark blue hull in the middle with the anchor down. The Xp38 is to her starboard. Notice the sheer height of the mast and headstay on the Xp38 compared to Synergy, and Synergy is the roughly the same length and has a pretty large sail plan. Other than the boats in the picture there was the Figaro 3, which was too deep to come in to the raft-up, and there was also an Oday 34 which chose to go home after the race rather than go into the creek for the raft-up. One of the board members volunteered out to ferry members who chose to drive to the raft-up in his Porta-Bote.

Anyway, that was my Saturday on the Bay. Sunday I needed to go into the office and get some work done.

Jeff
Sounds like a great group. Love the X Boats.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

The Following User Says Thank You to chef2sail For This Useful Post:
Jeff_H (4 Weeks Ago)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in