SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chesapeake Bay (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/)
-   -   2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/327588-2019-sailing-season-chesapeake.html)

4arch 01-01-2019 09:07 PM

Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

I'm not yet sure exactly where we'll be going or what we'll be doing in 2019 but we'll probably continue working the kids up to more anchoring and more 3 and 4 day excursions. My wife and I usually spend a January or February evening planning our sailing season - even down to single overnights. Not necessarily exact destinations - but at least blocking out the time. We find getting everything on the calendar far in advance helps keep other commitments from creeping in to steal sailing time. Also gives us something to look forward to during the depths of winter!

I have gotten started on winter projects. I installed the B&G V50 VHF and wireless RAM bought at the boat show. It should be a nice upgrade from our 20+ year old VHF. I replaced our dripless shaft seal which had started dripping slightly. I also started cutting out waste hoses in our aft head - nasty job but due for replacement. I plan to replace the engine exhaust hose but having a hard time figuring out how to get the existing one out. Need to do more research.

oldlaxer1 01-02-2019 09:34 AM

We had an abysmal 2018 season. We got a late start due to getting the house on the market and moving onto the Hatteras. But then it seems like every time we had the time to go sailing it was raining! We did two day trips and no overnighters. We are planning on moving the sailboat from the Anchorage Marina (where we live) to a marina much closer to the mouth of the Patapsco so we can get sailing much quicker and even one night overnight trips to the Magothy or Rock Hall are do-able. I'm having a hip replaced in early March so hopefully I'll be recovered in time for late spring/early summer sailing.

4arch 01-02-2019 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldlaxer1 (Post 2051573480)
We are planning on moving the sailboat from the Anchorage Marina (where we live) to a marina much closer to the mouth of the Patapsco so we can get sailing much quicker and even one night overnight trips to the Magothy or Rock Hall are do-able.

Good move. Which marina are you going to? We loved the Anchorage (except for the parking situation) but being near the mouth really does open up not just Rock Hall and the Magothy, but Worton, Still Pond, the Chester, and even Annapolis as reasonable weekend overnight destinations.

I did see they are replacing docks at the Anchorage. I dropped off some canvas to the shop there a couple of weeks ago and saw a few of the docks all taken apart. It's good that they are keeping the place up, although I imagine higher fees are to follow.

oldlaxer1 01-02-2019 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4arch (Post 2051573498)
Good move. Which marina are you going to?.

I think this year we may go to Old Bay Marina. Not a fancy place by any stretch of the imagination but convenient both from a sailing point of view and also it is only about a 25 minute drive from The Anchorage. We won't be staying on board at the new marina except on rare occasions and there is a cute little bar right up the street as a small bonus. We really like a bunch of the marinas on Rock Creek but it is a minimum of 45 minutes to an hour drive to get there.

Anchorage is doing a really nice job and one of the new docks is F dock where we keep the sailboat. Kinda hate to give that up but we had 2018 as the "Year of the Dock Queen" and I don't want that to happen again. We also have 3 sailboat owners on F dock that are ALWAYS looking for people to sail with them so shorter day or evening trips will still happen except on OPB's (which isn't my favorite but beats doing nothing.)

Anchor1800 01-02-2019 11:24 AM

I'm looking at possibly doing the Around Long Island Regatta this year for the first time. Does anyone have any experience with it? The dates for 2019 have not been posted yet, but it is usually toward the end of July. Part of that decision is if I'll be doing it on my boat, which involves a cruise up and back from Philly or on my brothers boat which is already up in NY but may not be available.

Other trips I plan to repeat from this past season are a several night trip through the C&D down to the Magothy River to raft up with friends, and some more exploring of what the Delaware River Bay have to offer for day or weekend trips.

4arch 01-02-2019 11:27 AM

We are at Old Bay. Very much a no frills place, but the owner is friendly and the direct access to the Bay is hard to beat. Say hi to us if you come over.

oldlaxer1 01-02-2019 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4arch (Post 2051573522)
We are at Old Bay. Very much a no frills place, but the owner is friendly and the direct access to the Bay is hard to beat. Say hi to us if you come over.

I sure will. I've used Brian for short hauls, winter storage and a weekly bottom paint haul so I'm very familiar with the place. great views, plenty of parking and as you say, access to the bay is tough to beat.

JoCoSailor 01-02-2019 03:36 PM

You all are killing me with your sailing plans for the bay. We're still 2 years away from being there full time :(.....hope to do at least one day out on the bay again this year.

We've chartered a boat from Norton Yacht's (Deltaville VA) the last two years. Anyone have another recommendation on a place rent a sailboat from in Virginia?

TakeFive 01-02-2019 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldlaxer1 (Post 2051573480)
We had an abysmal 2018 season. We got a late start due to getting the house on the market and moving onto the Hatteras. But then it seems like every time we had the time to go sailing it was raining! We did two day trips and no overnighters. We are planning on moving the sailboat from the Anchorage Marina (where we live) to a marina much closer to the mouth of the Patapsco so we can get sailing much quicker and even one night overnight trips to the Magothy or Rock Hall are do-able. I'm having a hip replaced in early March so hopefully I'll be recovered in time for late spring/early summer sailing.

I feel your pain, John. Let's try to do a lunch or dinner meetup in Annapolis or other locale like we did a couple years ago, even if by car. Maybe we can get Auspicious to join us again! I'll be heading over there to pick up my refurbished sail sometime, maybe we can arrange something then.

PalmettoSailor 01-02-2019 07:22 PM

The jury is out on if we'll have a 2019 season.

Between the crummy weather and life demands, we got very little use of the boat last year.

This year I have family issues that will demand a good deal of travel to SC which will take up potential sailing weekends. In light of the cost and demands on our time, we made the difficult decision to give up our slip and take a "wait and see" approach to launching the boat this spring.

If we do launch, we'll have to decide on if we take a slip at HHN/HHS, Shipwright or somewhere else.