2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 20 - SailNet Community
 93Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #191 of 229 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Obviously...you should recruit a kid , or two, who've never been out. Get them to help for a short bit, the take them out for the experience. Pay it Forward.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #192 of 229 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Had a lovely sail last weekend, up to 9 kts of wind reported by wx. Calm seas, not too hot, perfect conditions! First "real sail" (actual wind) with my own boat, which ended with my outboard refusing to start when going back in. It's not the newest, a 16 year old 2-stroke, but I hoped it would keep going a while longer.. I have little experience dealing with these so now I need to fiddle around with it instead of sailing! Don't have high hopes. Getting this off the boat by myself will be the first challenge.. And the repair places around apparently have a 4 week back log! So out of commission for a while. Aah the joys of boat ownership..
ThereYouAre likes this.
post #193 of 229 Old 2 Weeks Ago

I'm happy to report that repairs to Breakin' Away are complete. I had a successful sea trial Thursday, and made the transit from Delaware City to Rock Hall on Friday. It was mostly motoring since the wind was very light, and totally nonexistent at the end. I've never seen the waters between Tolchester and Rock Hall so smooth as glass.

The Flexofold 3-blade prop works beautifully, with no vibrations at any speed. It pushes the boat forward very well, and does better than I expected in reverse. I'm going to need to adjust to the new stuffing box with Teflon packing - it runs hotter than my old packing (90-96 F) even when adjusted with copious water dripping through. If anyone has any information on special break-in procedures or anything else, please send a link.

We had to leave the boat in Rock Hall on Friday to spend time with my sons, but they took off for their weekend destinations on Saturday afternoon, so we headed back Saturday night to spend some boat time in the slip - for dinner in the cockpit, Netflix movie in the cabin, and removing about 100 lb of unneeded gear this morning and otherwise securing the boat for 2 weeks idle in the slip. After such a long wait this season awaiting repairs, even time in the slip was much appreciated.

My wife and I will be in the midwest for the next 2 weeks for my work and to care for her elderly parents. We hope for good weather starting June 15 when we return. Meanwhile I'll live vicariously through all of your posts.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Last edited by TakeFive; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:12 PM.

post #194 of 229 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Sorry I have not been able to be very active on the site these days, but today was kinda special. I motored from Owens Marina in Perryville over to Havre de Grace, gassed up the boat, motored a couple hundred yards out beyond the Tidewater mooring field, put out the jib, shut the A4 down, propped up my feet and let the wind do a number on me. OH YEAH! Sailed down the Havre de Grace Channel at 7.5 to 8.2 MPH on just the jib, then made a left turn at Battery Island, sailed out into the open waters of the bay and down to the mouth of the Sassafras River, then turned around and sailed back to the #1 buoy of HDG channel. At that point the wind, which was woofing at about 25 MPH was right on my nose so I rolled up the jib, fired up the A4 and motored back to the marina. The timing was perfect and I made it into the slip about an hour before dead low tide. At dead low, I run out of water to get into the slip and have to sit outside and drink honey bourbon until the tide gets high enough to get into the slip.

Two weeks ago, while motoring past Battery Island, which is now much larger than at any time in history, I noticed that the island seems to be eroding away, particularly on the western shoreline. I was correct in my assumption. The Havre de Grace Channel, which was dredged to 19 feet in 2012, is now down to a depth of just 10 feet at mid tide right in front of the island. I suspect that the huge volume of winter rains and snow melt have carried away some of the island's shore and deposited it into the adjacent channel. I watched a tug pushing a barge through this area today as I motored home and he sure churned up a lot of mud and debris when he went through this section. Still plenty of water for my old tub, though.

All the best,

Gary
post #195 of 229 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Good to hear from you Gary and your great day out on the water,
have followed and enjoyed your posts over the years.
Sorry your timing was off going back to your slip.
Thinking with some forward planing next time out
you will be able to lay off siping some Honey Bourbon while waiting
for tide to come in.
That stuff goes down entirely too smooth.
post #196 of 229 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
Sorry I have not been able to be very active on the site these days, but today was kinda special. I motored from Owens Marina in Perryville over to Havre de Grace, gassed up the boat, motored a couple hundred yards out beyond the Tidewater mooring field, put out the jib, shut the A4 down, propped up my feet and let the wind do a number on me. OH YEAH! Sailed down the Havre de Grace Channel at 7.5 to 8.2 MPH on just the jib, then made a left turn at Battery Island, sailed out into the open waters of the bay and down to the mouth of the Sassafras River, then turned around and sailed back to the #1 buoy of HDG channel. At that point the wind, which was woofing at about 25 MPH was right on my nose so I rolled up the jib, fired up the A4 and motored back to the marina. The timing was perfect and I made it into the slip about an hour before dead low tide. At dead low, I run out of water to get into the slip and have to sit outside and drink honey bourbon until the tide gets high enough to get into the slip.

Two weeks ago, while motoring past Battery Island, which is now much larger than at any time in history, I noticed that the island seems to be eroding away, particularly on the western shoreline. I was correct in my assumption. The Havre de Grace Channel, which was dredged to 19 feet in 2012, is now down to a depth of just 10 feet at mid tide right in front of the island. I suspect that the huge volume of winter rains and snow melt have carried away some of the island's shore and deposited it into the adjacent channel. I watched a tug pushing a barge through this area today as I motored home and he sure churned up a lot of mud and debris when he went through this section. Still plenty of water for my old tub, though.

All the best,

Gary
Go to know you are well

As we transmitted the C&D yesterday and progressed to Turkey Point I was hoping to run into you. We saw a few sailboats out and one cone out of the Havre de Grace area after we passed the Sassafras. Bet it was you.

Water from the Susquehanna made the Bay there a coffee color and we saw some minor wood. Not as bad as three weeks ago when we came through on our trip to Newport.

Glad to see you are getting out and sailing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #197 of 229 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Today we are comfortably behind Worton with poor internet reception. We are headed on our last leg of vacation and probably anchoring tonight in either Annapolis or one of the Severn Creeks like Clements.

Having traveled over 900 miles ( same distance to the Bahamas) in 20 days I can say I am back to our friendly cruising grounds . I posted the trip on another thread so anyone taking a trip to the LI Sound could use it for recommendations or insight.

The best feature we have on the Chessie is the ability to anchor virtually anywhere. The scenery is gorgeous and when there is wind ( and no heat) tithe sailing is superb. Glad to be back.
PatMc57 likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #198 of 229 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I'm happy to report that repairs to Breakin' Away are complete. I had a successful sea trial Thursday, and made the transit from Delaware City to Rock Hall on Friday. It was mostly motoring since the wind was very light, and totally nonexistent at the end. I've never seen the waters between Tolchester and Rock Hall so smooth as glass.

The Flexofold 3-blade prop works beautifully, with no vibrations at any speed. It pushes the boat forward very well, and does better than I expected in reverse. I'm going to need to adjust to the new stuffing box with Teflon packing - it runs hotter than my old packing (90-96 F) even when adjusted with copious water dripping through. If anyone has any information on special break-in procedures or anything else, please send a link.

We had to leave the boat in Rock Hall on Friday to spend time with my sons, but they took off for their weekend destinations on Saturday afternoon, so we headed back Saturday night to spend some boat time in the slip - for dinner in the cockpit, Netflix movie in the cabin, and removing about 100 lb of unneeded gear this morning and otherwise securing the boat for 2 weeks idle in the slip. After such a long wait this season awaiting repairs, even time in the slip was much appreciated.

My wife and I will be in the midwest for the next 2 weeks for my work and to care for her elderly parents. We hope for good weather starting June 15 when we return. Meanwhile I'll live vicariously through all of your posts.
Glad you got your boat in and it’s in its proper place.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #199 of 229 Old 1 Week Ago

We had a great sailing weekend! We departed Friday afternoon for Annapolis. Sailed on a broad reach from the Patapsco to Sandy Point then motored the rest of the way when the wind died. We had hoped to get a mooring in the main harbor but by 5 pm it was already jam packed so we went around to Back Creek and grabbed a mooring off Jabins. It turned out that was actually a good thing, because the brisk winds out of the NE on Saturday had boats in the main harbor hobby-horsing all over. My wife had a Spinsheet writers brunch Saturday morning so I took the girls to the playground and then walked around town and got ice cream. The girls loved seeing the sights of Annapolis although they were a little concerned that the pirate tour boat that comes up ego alley might have real pirates aboard. We took the water taxi back to the boat late afternoon and rounding the point from Spa to Back creeks the taxi took a couple of big waves over the bow, which luckily the girls thought was fun. Sunday morning we were up early and headed back to Baltimore. After motoring through the Bay Bridge we set sail on a close reach, both sails reefed, making 7-8 knots on 18-25 knots of wind. A little more raucous than we'd normally want to do with the girls, but they did great, just relaxing in the cockpit tethered in. With sails reefed and the cockpit curtains down, it was actually a really comfortable and fun sail, and good to get some added heavy air practice.

s/v Spindrift
Beneteau Oceanis 400
formerly Lippincott 30
post #200 of 229 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4arch View Post
We had a great sailing weekend! We departed Friday afternoon for Annapolis. Sailed on a broad reach from the Patapsco to Sandy Point then motored the rest of the way when the wind died. We had hoped to get a mooring in the main harbor but by 5 pm it was already jam packed so we went around to Back Creek and grabbed a mooring off Jabins. It turned out that was actually a good thing, because the brisk winds out of the NE on Saturday had boats in the main harbor hobby-horsing all over. My wife had a Spinsheet writers brunch Saturday morning so I took the girls to the playground and then walked around town and got ice cream. The girls loved seeing the sights of Annapolis although they were a little concerned that the pirate tour boat that comes up ego alley might have real pirates aboard. We took the water taxi back to the boat late afternoon and rounding the point from Spa to Back creeks the taxi took a couple of big waves over the bow, which luckily the girls thought was fun. Sunday morning we were up early and headed back to Baltimore. After motoring through the Bay Bridge we set sail on a close reach, both sails reefed, making 7-8 knots on 18-25 knots of wind. A little more raucous than we'd normally want to do with the girls, but they did great, just relaxing in the cockpit tethered in. With sails reefed and the cockpit curtains down, it was actually a really comfortable and fun sail, and good to get some added heavy air practice.

Sounds like a great time
Let’s get together soon.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in