2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 21 - SailNet Community
 140Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #201 of 325 Old 06-12-2019

Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Glad that you're back safely Chef2Sail,,,Bet that you had a great trip. This weekend Pamela and I are taking Keiko out for a jaunt a wee bit South. We are looking at the South River, or the Rhode. The Rhode would probably provide better coverage with the South winds this weekend..but...we'll see. We have no dinghy..our 3rd trip out on our boat and plenty of $ to get here...so..next year for a dinghy.
The reason that I mention that is...we are boat-bound!!! Give us a shout on 16 Sat Nite if you'd like to meet up..I play a mean guitar and Pamela makes a FAR better chicken!!! HA!..Just looking to say Hello..
Thanks,
Patrick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #202 of 325 Old 06-12-2019 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatMc57 View Post
Glad that you're back safely Chef2Sail,,,Bet that you had a great trip. This weekend Pamela and I are taking Keiko out for a jaunt a wee bit South. We are looking at the South River, or the Rhode. The Rhode would probably provide better coverage with the South winds this weekend..but...we'll see. We have no dinghy..our 3rd trip out on our boat and plenty of $ to get here...so..next year for a dinghy.
The reason that I mention that is...we are boat-bound!!! Give us a shout on 16 Sat Nite if you'd like to meet up..I play a mean guitar and Pamela makes a FAR better chicken!!! HA!..Just looking to say Hello..
Thanks,
Patrick
Trip was an epic one of all positives. 20 days on Haleakula and no mutiny from the Admiral. It really takes both of us working together to take such a long trip especially with the 12 hour days down the Delaware and up the Jersey coast.

Glad Keiiko is on the loose. We are home this weekend as my wife is working.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #203 of 325 Old 06-13-2019

4th of July Fireworks Baltimore
Does anyone have info for this year's fireworks on the Patapsco? I've heard they fire them from Ft. McHenry and there is an anchorage just off the fort....then again I've heard a lot of things that turn out different. I'm just starting the search of the internet, figured I'd ask here first hoping someone has already done the work.
It must be crowded and crazy, my plan would be to get there early and stay on the boat overnight.
After several years of Georgetown fireworks I'm looking at options, the Sassafras fireworks are on the 6th, maybe I can catch both shows?

post #204 of 325 Old 06-13-2019 Thread Starter

Plan to get run over and waked for hours by drunk powerboaters going early...leaving late. Best to get a reservation in a marina like the anchorage

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #205 of 325 Old 06-13-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Plan to get run over and waked for hours by drunk powerboaters going early...leaving late. Best to get a reservation in a marina like the anchorage
Good point - I've always taken a mooring ball in Georgetown for the same reason.
post #206 of 325 Old 06-13-2019

They fire them off from the inner harbor, not Ft. McHenry. They fire them from the fort for Defenders Day in mid September. You still would get a decent show out by the fort or the Canton anchorages, but I STRONGLY recommend getting a marina slip as the anchorages become packed with crazies and the holding is extremely poor even when conditions are ideal.

s/v Spindrift
Beneteau Oceanis 400
formerly Lippincott 30
post #207 of 325 Old 06-13-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4arch View Post
They fire them off from the inner harbor, not Ft. McHenry. They fire them from the fort for Defenders Day in mid September. You still would get a decent show out by the fort or the Canton anchorages, but I STRONGLY recommend getting a marina slip as the anchorages become packed with crazies and the holding is extremely poor even when conditions are ideal.
Yeah I thought they shot them off from a barge in Inner Harbor

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #208 of 325 Old 06-16-2019

We got out for our first sail of the season this weekend. The plan was to sail to Magothy River Saturday, spend the night on the hook, then head to Annapolis today and back to Rock Hall Monday.

Provisioning for our first time this season took longer than expected, with multiple stops needed before making the 2 hour drive to Rock Hall. We did not leave the slip until 1700. This was my first time backing out of our slip with my new folding prop (which performs very will in forward, but has less thrust in reverse than my old fixed prop). It also has virtually no prop walk, which is overall a good thing, but my slip positioning and exit strategy has always taken advantage of prop walk. Despite my nervousness over this and over the firm 15 kt SSW breeze right through the marina, exiting the slip was uneventful.

Once underway, we had a close reach to Magothy in brisk conditions of about 15 kt. We made good time with reefed main and genoa furled a couple of wraps. Sea state was very lumpy. Helm balance was a little off with a little more weather helm than I wanted, but I didn't want to let the genoa out further to keep heeling down. We arrived at the mouth of Magothy River 1900 hours, anchored, had dinner (grilled chicken in our secret marinade, bean salad, pasta salad, watermelon, and my birthday cake), watched a couple of our favorite episodes of The Office, then retired for the night. Our anchor held well at 5:1 scope in 15 ft of water, with our anchor alarm showing us not moving more than one meter at any time.

My sleep was disturbed a few times during the night by a slight bumping noise that sounded like a fender or mooring buoy tapping against the hull, but since the anchor alarm was fine I didn't bother to check. At dawn I got curious, so went forward to discover the issue. My nylon anchor rode goes through my bow roller to a cleat inside the aft end of my anchor locker. It's about 4' from the roller to the locker, and with the solid breeze that we had overnight, there was enough stretch in that 4' to cause the roller to rotate ever so slightly back and forth. The slight motion caused a "ticking" noise which was easily eliminated with a couple shots of WD40 onto the roller's axle bolt. Although I know that nylon tri-strand is known for its stretch, I was surprised that a 4' length would stretch enough to move the roller.

We departed for Annapolis 0830 and motor-sailed to the Magothy inlet. We left the reef in, but unfurled the genoa completely. We shut off the motor and sailed through the Magothy channel, dodging multiple fishing boats that were anchored right in the channel. Sailing was great once past Persimmon Point, and we were close-hauled in hopes of making it to the Bay Bridge on one tack, and maybe getting to the mouth of the Severn River on a second tack. But once we got to the middle of the Bay, out of the lee of Sandy Point, the sea state got rather crazy, apparently due to the long fetch of the southerly wind. Wind speed wasn't terrible, but we were just relentlessly pounding into 3' chop, with occasional 4 footers. We took water over the bow at one point, and drenched the cockpit through the open dodger. I wanted to close the dodger, but wasn't going to go forward in those conditions. About a minute later we got another drenching in the cockpit, and decided to head for home on a broad reach. It was amazing how the same sea state was so much more comfortable going in the other direction! I was surprised by the sea state, since it was worse than I would have expected from the relatively modest winds.

We could have found another place to go to, but with strong thunderstorms forecast starting around 1500 and dead air and more thunderstorms forecast for Monday we decided to leave alternate destinations for another time. We puttered around the boat and took naps in the afternoon. The forecast storms came through at 8, with strong enough lightning that it chased us off the boat and into our car to enjoy the show on the way home.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Last edited by TakeFive; 06-16-2019 at 11:48 PM.
post #209 of 325 Old 06-17-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
...sailed through the Magothy channel, dodging multiple fishing boats that were anchored right in the channel
That area tends to compete with a handful of others for peak Chesapeake Bay knuckleheadism. Had the conditions been more benign over the weekend, you would have seen the entire area from the mouth of the Magothy down to Sandy Point light completely packed with small fishing boats. At least when they anchor they're relatively easy to dodge compared to when they zig zag all over. My favorite response heard on channel 16 this weekend was "he must be hungry to be out fishing in these conditions".
chef2sail and oysterman23 like this.

s/v Spindrift
Beneteau Oceanis 400
formerly Lippincott 30
post #210 of 325 Old 06-17-2019

Here is the yearly Kent Narrows report: We transited the Narrows last Thursday at mid-tide and didn't see less than 9.5 feet at any point between the northern and southern ends of the channel. This is thanks to the dredging completed last fall. Your mileage may vary, but depth appears to have been eliminated as a limiting factor, at least until it silts in again. It's still not an area I'm keen to pass through on weekends between Memorial and Labor days or when there's a stiff breeze against the beam, but on a windless weekday it was perfectly fine.
chef2sail and oldlaxer1 like this.

s/v Spindrift
Beneteau Oceanis 400
formerly Lippincott 30
The Following User Says Thank You to 4arch For This Useful Post:
MastUndSchotbruch (06-17-2019)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in