2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 23 - SailNet Community
 135Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #221 of 315 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4arch View Post
Here is the yearly Kent Narrows report: We transited the Narrows last Thursday at mid-tide and didn't see less than 9.5 feet at any point between the northern and southern ends of the channel. This is thanks to the dredging completed last fall. Your mileage may vary, but depth appears to have been eliminated as a limiting factor, at least until it silts in again. It's still not an area I'm keen to pass through on weekends between Memorial and Labor days or when there's a stiff breeze against the beam, but on a windless weekday it was perfectly fine.
And remember those who have the current at the bridge go first when it opens.....unless you are a powerboat.

Thanks for the report Bryan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #222 of 315 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Ah, as some of you know I'm accustomed to pretty strong currents from my Delaware River days, but I had totally forgotten about currents near the Bay Bridge. That, plus acceleration of both air and water at the narrowing area near the bridge, explains the crazy sea state.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatMc57 View Post
...We anchored behind Dobbins with 5 other, larger, sailboats for the night. In retrospect. that was not the best choice for calm waters. It was, however, a good choice for a Fresh breeze in the v berth...a nice trade off. Our Spade held firm..And had dug pretty deep. Another boat dragged twice that night. I am going to have to explore deeper into the Magothy....
Like chef recommended, we stayed in Eagle Cove (aka horse farm) where it's calmer. It was deceptively calm, and we didn't realize the strength of the breeze until I noticed the stretch in our nylon rode. We've also stayed in the cove behind it when it was too crowded, but this time we arrived late and most of the day trippers were gone, leaving plenty of space to anchor.

We've stayed off Dobbins Island before, and would have stopped there for the day if we had the dog and had arrived earlier, since it's a good beach for exercising the dog (and publicly accessible up to the high water posts). But we would have moved over to Eagle Cove for the evening for the reasons that you discovered. We noticed 5 or 6 sailboat masts over there on our way in. Since my son watched my dog at home, so we went straight to Eagle Cove.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #223 of 315 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4arch View Post
That area tends to compete with a handful of others for peak Chesapeake Bay knuckleheadism. Had the conditions been more benign over the weekend, you would have seen the entire area from the mouth of the Magothy down to Sandy Point light completely packed with small fishing boats. At least when they anchor they're relatively easy to dodge compared to when they zig zag all over. My favorite response heard on channel 16 this weekend was "he must be hungry to be out fishing in these conditions".
What gets me is the two sets of "Float Free Channel" markers. They've got two outer markers on either side of the outer channel way out about halfway to Baltimore Light, and two more closer in near lights #2 and 3. It's obvious that there should be no crab pots anywhere in the channel between these four well-placed markers. And while you'll find no crab right near the markers, the channel area between the two sets of markers always has crab pots. It's as if they think that they're far enough away from the markers, even though they're dropping their pots right in the channel, which the markers clearly say not to do.
chef2sail likes this.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

post #224 of 315 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
What gets me is the two sets of "Float Free Channel" markers. They've got two outer markers on either side of the outer channel way out about halfway to Baltimore Light, and two more closer in near lights #2 and 3. It's obvious that there should be no crab pots anywhere in the channel between these four well-placed markers. And while you'll find no crab right near the markers, the channel area between the two sets of markers always has crab pots. It's as if they think that they're far enough away from the markers, even though they're dropping their pots right in the channel, which the markers clearly say not to do.
So true. Whitehall Bay is another one like that.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #225 of 315 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Ah, as some of you know I'm accustomed to pretty strong currents from my Delaware River days, but I had totally forgotten about currents near the Bay Bridge. That, plus acceleration of both air and water at the narrowing area near the bridge, explains the crazy sea state.

Like chef recommended, we stayed in Eagle Cove (aka horse farm) where it's calmer. It was deceptively calm, and we didn't realize the strength of the breeze until I noticed the stretch in our nylon rode. We've also stayed in the cove behind it when it was too crowded, but this time we arrived late and most of the day trippers were gone, leaving plenty of space to anchor.

We've stayed off Dobbins Island before, and would have stopped there for the day if we had the dog and had arrived earlier, since it's a good beach for exercising the dog (and publicly accessible up to the high water posts). But we would have moved over to Eagle Cove for the evening for the reasons that you discovered. We noticed 5 or 6 sailboat masts over there on our way in. Since my son watched my dog at home, so we went straight to Eagle Cove.
To continue to beat the dead horse....the area on the north side of the bridge has two larger river mouths emptying which also causes/ funnels wind , the Magothy and more importantly Chester. These winds are apparent when your a miles out in the Bay .

The Chester has quite a current also and it’s mouth can be a quite jarring experience around the Love Pt marker to the Cedar Point area. Wind against current here can make it a teeth rattling ride with the sea state being steep and short interval. Ebb tide and strong W-NW wind direction of 15-20 knots .

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #226 of 315 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Sounds like I wasn't the only one out there. Sailed a new-to-me Bristol 29.9 out of the Patapsco and home to Herring Bay on Saturday. Rhumb line was 45 nm but I swear we must have sailed 60, tacking across the southerly wind. I did take a short video just north of Bay Bridge but its a .MOV file I can't post here, unfortunately.

Anyway, it was a great sail and I was tickled to death at how well the boat did. With balanced sails, she sailed herself for mile after mile, no autopilot, no wheel lock, no helmsman, close hauled into three foot waves. Unbelievable.

Can't wait to get her back out there!
Donna_F, T37Chef, TakeFive and 1 others like this.
post #227 of 315 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Daniel - Norsea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew1711 View Post
Sounds like I wasn't the only one out there. Sailed a new-to-me Bristol 29.9 out of the Patapsco and home to Herring Bay on Saturday. Rhumb line was 45 nm but I swear we must have sailed 60, tacking across the southerly wind. I did take a short video just north of Bay Bridge but its a .MOV file I can't post here, unfortunately.

Anyway, it was a great sail and I was tickled to death at how well the boat did. With balanced sails, she sailed herself for mile after mile, no autopilot, no wheel lock, no helmsman, close hauled into three foot waves. Unbelievable.

Sounds like a fun ride. Good to see you made it back safely.
drew1711 likes this.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
post #228 of 315 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew1711 View Post

So how many hours did that take you?

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #229 of 315 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
So how many hours did that take you?
Thirteen and a half hours, dock to dock. Long day, but worth it.
T37Chef likes this.
post #230 of 315 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Looking like a perfect weekend setting up on the water...except light winds.
May find a nice anchorage on the eastern side a dinghy about

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in