SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chesapeake Bay (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/)
-   -   2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/327588-2019-sailing-season-chesapeake.html)

Totuma 06-19-2019 05:51 PM

Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:

Originally Posted by chef2sail (Post 2051610022)
Looking like a perfect weekend setting up on the water...except light winds.
May find a nice anchorage on the eastern side a dinghy about

You just need to start your weekend a little early. Fri looks like a nice day :eek

chef2sail 06-19-2019 07:01 PM

Unfortunately work gets in the way, but maybe a Friday night sail in order as we get to the marina by 4 and itís close to a full moon.

PatMc57 06-19-2019 08:00 PM

Great advice. Thanks!

PatMc57 06-19-2019 08:35 PM

Did anyone else see the historic steel ship, on Saturday,6-15 around noon, on the North side of the bridge , heading toward Baltimore with the Japanese Zero doing strafing runs???
I assume that someone was making a movie.
What a fantastic sight!!! The Zero made one turn right over us!
Anyone know what movie?
Patrick

chef2sail 06-19-2019 09:39 PM

To most of us itís a common occurrence to see it performing.
Quite a show isnít it

https://www.ssjohnwbrown.org/

chef2sail 06-20-2019 05:29 PM

Forecast for Saturday looking even better with a little more wind albeit only 12 knots
Possibly a Cacaway on the Chester Day or Wye River. 80 with low humidity lows in low 60s

Looking to get out after our trip up north

TakeFive 06-20-2019 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chef2sail (Post 2051610234)
Forecast for Saturday looking even better with a little more wind albeit only 12 knots
Possibly a Cacaway on the Chester Day or Wye River. 80 with low humidity lows in low 60s

Looking to get out after our trip up north

If all goes well we'll be at Cacaway Friday evening, departing after lunch Saturday. I'm keeping an eye on the weather, though, since 4 footers are now forecast and that may be more than I want to go out in with the dog on board. Unfortunately we can't stay over on Saturday night, so it's either leave Friday or just do a daysail on Saturday.

Quote:

ANZ539-210800-
Chester River to Queenstown MD-
737 PM EDT Thu Jun 20 2019

SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT THROUGH FRIDAY AFTERNOON

TONIGHT
W winds 10 to 15 kt with gusts to 20 kt. Waves 1 to 2 ft.
Isolated tstms this evening. A chance of showers.

FRI
NW winds 15 to 20 kt with gusts to 30 kt. Waves 4 ft.

FRI NIGHT
NW winds 10 to 15 kt. Gusts up to 25 kt until early
morning. Waves 2 to 3 ft.

chef2sail 06-20-2019 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TakeFive (Post 2051610314)
If all goes well we'll be at Cacaway Friday evening, departing after lunch Saturday. I'm keeping an eye on the weather, though, since 4 footers are now forecast and that may be more than I want to go out in with the dog on board. Unfortunately we can't stay over on Saturday night, so it's either leave Friday or just do a daysail on Saturday.

Youíd be pretty pretty protected from the NW and N if you go deep in the anchorage past the opening between the island and dock.

Down wind out of RH and till the curve in the Chester , crossvthe beam till the neck , fighting it to Greys Inn , the protected.

We have even gone further up the Eastern Fork to Lovely Cove . Very protected and beautiful there.

Reef down for the gusts.Have fun. May see you on Saturday

TakeFive 06-20-2019 11:06 PM

Open transom means we probably get repeatedly pooped in 4 foot breaking chop. (We got pooped once last week.) Might be a little messy, especially with wind opposing current. I do have a little plastic panel that I can slip in to minimize the water in the cockpit, but the chop might even be high enough to reach the dinghy on the davits. I've done 6' swells at nighttime on a charter in Grenada, but never 4 foot breaking chop in this boat. Hopefully it dies down in the afternoon.

We'll probably take a drive down Eastern Neck with binoculars to look at the sea state, then make a decision whether to head out. Also a good place to take the dog out on a long walk before we head out.

PalmettoSailor 06-21-2019 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TakeFive (Post 2051610326)
Open transom means we probably get repeatedly pooped in 4 foot breaking chop. (We got pooped once last week.) Might be a little messy, especially with wind opposing current. I do have a little plastic panel that I can slip in to minimize the water in the cockpit, but the chop might even be high enough to reach the dinghy on the davits. I've done 6' swells at nighttime on a charter in Grenada, but never 4 foot breaking chop in this boat. Hopefully it dies down in the afternoon.

We'll probably take a drive down Eastern Neck with binoculars to look at the sea state, then make a decision whether to head out. Also a good place to take the dog out on a long walk before we head out.

I've never had a wave enter the cockpit of our open transom C36 and I've been out in as nasty weather as you are likely to encounter on the Chesapeake.