2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 25 - SailNet Community
 192Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #241 of 520 Old 06-21-2019 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

I don’t have that predicament

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 520 Old 06-21-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoSailor View Post
I've never had a wave enter the cockpit of our open transom C36 and I've been out in as nasty weather as you are likely to encounter on the Chesapeake.
I agree. The pooping last week was just a tiny bit of water. Much less than what came over the bow when we were beating.

We stayed in the slip today. Winds died down at around 5:30, but we were enjoying talking to our marina neighbors and didn’t want to be in a hurry to leave like we are most of the time. We ate crabs and steak on the boat in the slip, walked the dog, met some transients who have the same boat, and went to Harbor Shack tiki bar. Many of these are things we rarely do, and it was nice.

Long daysail tomorrow. Will probably anchor somewhere for lunch, then head back. It’s all good.

I heard that a good samaritan rescued some capsized boaters near the bay bridge today. I wonder if it was @T37Chef again.
PalmettoSailor and chef2sail like this.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall, MD
post #243 of 520 Old 06-21-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I agree. The pooping last week was just a tiny bit of water. Much less than what came over the bow when we were beating.

We stayed in the slip today. Winds died down at around 5:30, but we were enjoying talking to our marina neighbors and didn’t want to be in a hurry to leave like we are most of the time. We ate crabs and steak on the boat in the slip, walked the dog, met some transients who have the same boat, and went to Harbor Shack tiki bar. Many of these are things we rarely do, and it was nice.

Long daysail tomorrow. Will probably anchor somewhere for lunch, then head back. It’s all good.

I heard that a good samaritan rescued some capsized boaters near the bay bridge today. I wonder if it was @T37Chef again.
Glad you got to spend some time on her. We are out night sailing up the Severn on a gorgeous night. Probably pick up a mooring in Clements Creek as when we went by it was empty there.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

post #244 of 520 Old 06-22-2019 Thread Starter

We saw there was no wind above the bridge and a little more below it so we headed for the Wye instead of Cacaway.

Headed up Eastern Bay. Steady 9 knots . Good to be out. No humidity and blue skies. Looks like a long dinghy ride when we anchor.

Dinner tonight is grilled filet mignonette, basil infused grilled polenta, Asian slaw salad. Afternoon snack. Peach strawberry frozen drinks.
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #245 of 520 Old 06-22-2019 Thread Starter

Anchored in Granary Creek off the east fork of the Wye River. We are the only boat in here. Once we hit the Miles the winds picked up in the mid 15 range and we had a nice last hour sail

Granary Creek is one of our 5 all time favorite anchorages. Can fit maybe 5 boats end to end anchored. Depts are 6-6.5 ft. Very narrow entrance to a tree line little creek. Lots of Bald Eagles and red tailed hawks circling the boat late afternoon.

At dusk (now) the sounds of many different species of birds sounding off.

Granary is the next creek down from Dividing Creek.
4arch likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #246 of 520 Old 06-22-2019
Yamsailor

I was anchored in the Magothy River Thursday night running an overnight charter. Clients had to get back Friday morning to get to a wedding in Pa. Crossed the bay in sustained 32 knots with gusts to 39. Didn't sail on the way back to Rock Hall. Had 6 foot breaking rollers for 1.5 hours---Twas lively.

Sail Your Story!

post #247 of 520 Old 06-23-2019 Thread Starter

What type of boat are you chartering? Is it for public hire?

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #248 of 520 Old 06-23-2019
Yamsailor

Catalina 425---Contact me privately as I am not sure if I am permitted to talk about this in a public forum?

Sail Your Story!

post #249 of 520 Old 06-23-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamsailor View Post
I was anchored in the Magothy River Thursday night running an overnight charter. Clients had to get back Friday morning to get to a wedding in Pa. Crossed the bay in sustained 32 knots with gusts to 39. Didn't sail on the way back to Rock Hall. Had 6 foot breaking rollers for 1.5 hours---Twas lively.
That's consistent with what I saw on Friday from the Ingleside Recreation Area on East Neck. Not just white caps, but large breakers. And that was in the lee of Swan Point, so I can only imagine what it was like out in the middle of the bay. You know what they say about sailors and schedules. I suspect that can put you in a tough spot running crewed charters. I'm glad the boat was up to it.

Yesterday we headed out with breezes that were more northerly than expected (little or no westward component). I realized that we could beat to Patapsco in one tack and then return on a broad reach. It seems rare that I get the opportunity to head to/from that direction with one tack in each direction, and we've never been there in our current boat, so we made a split second decision to head up there. The breeze died for a bit in the middle of the bay and we had to motor for about 20 minutes, but the sensor at Bayside Beach showed 9-11 kts sustained with gusts to 16, so we continued in that direction and weren't disappointed once the winds picked up again. Our plan was to cook lunch underway, but things were too lively for that, so we looked for a place to hide and drop anchor. I briefly considered Bodkin Creek, but hear its entrance can be tricky with shoals in the marked channel, so we proceeded to Rock Creek and anchored off the appropriately named Anchor Inn where there was a wedding underway. We had a solid breeze all through lunch that required us to hold onto our napkins and other stuff. The return trip was also lively with an occasional lull, entirely on a broad reach. We dodged a couple of cargo ships and a cruise ship coming out of the Patapsco.

Bay Wolf had fresh rock fish, so we went there for dinner, then returned to the boat to pack up everything and headed home, arriving at 11:30.

After returning home I noticed "Note D" on Chart #12278 that warns of large ships causing 12 foot breakers in Seven Foot Knoll. I had sailed right through that area. Have any of you guys with Patapsco experience witnessed those conditions? I don't think there was any shipping traffic nearby when I sailed through there - there were just a bunch of crab pots there for obvious reasons. For future reference, I've plotted a route through there that takes me around the northeast tip of Seven Foot Knoll.
Yamsailor and T37Chef like this.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall, MD

Last edited by TakeFive; 06-23-2019 at 12:53 PM.
post #250 of 520 Old 06-23-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
That's consistent with what I saw on Friday from the Ingleside Recreation Area on East Neck. Not just white caps, but large breakers. And that was in the lee of Swan Point, so I can only imagine what it was like out in the middle of the bay. You know what they say about sailors and schedules. I suspect that can put you in a tough spot running crewed charters. I'm glad the boat was up to it.

Yesterday we headed out with breezes that were more northerly than expected (little or no westward component). I realized that we could beat to Patapsco in one tack and then return on a broad reach. It seems rare that I get the opportunity to head to/from that direction with one tack in each direction, and we've never been there in our current boat, so we made a split second decision to head up there. The breeze died for a bit in the middle of the bay and we had to motor for about 20 minutes, but the sensor at Bayside Beach showed 9-11 kts sustained with gusts to 16, so we continued in that direction and weren't disappointed once the winds picked up again. Our plan was to cook lunch underway, but things were too lively for that, so we looked for a place to hide and drop anchor. I briefly considered Bodkin Creek, but hear its entrance can be tricky with shoals in the marked channel, so we proceeded to Rock Creek and anchored off the appropriately named Anchor Inn where there was a wedding underway. We had a solid breeze all through lunch that required us to hold onto our napkins and other stuff. The return trip was also lively with an occasional lull, entirely on a broad reach. We dodged a couple of cargo ships and a cruise ship coming out of the Patapsco.

Bay Wolf had fresh rock fish, so we went there for dinner, then returned to the boat to pack up everything and headed home, arriving at 11:30.

After returning home I noticed "Note D" on Chart #12278 that warns of large ships causing 12 foot breakers in Seven Foot Knoll. I had sailed right through that area. Have any of you guys with Patapsco experience witnessed those conditions? I don't think there was any shipping traffic nearby when I sailed through there - there were just a bunch of crab pots there for obvious reasons. For future reference, I've plotted a route through there that takes me around the northeast tip of Seven Foot Knoll.

If you hang around next to any of the shipping channel you get smacked by a tanker wave. 7 ft Knoll is were the cross Chessie and N/ Chessie converge as well as the currents out of the Patapsco. We never avoided it nor dally near the channel usually . Most tankers start slowing there on their inbound way down the Patapsco

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in