SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chesapeake Bay (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/)
-   -   2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/327588-2019-sailing-season-chesapeake.html)

chef2sail 06-23-2019 02:21 PM

Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

We are having a good sail home today. We decided on Granary Creek on the Wye, motored back Dow Eastern Bay and were met by a lot of fishing boats at Bloody Point followed by a pod of 40 grey dolphins.
We are currently sailing past Thomas Point in 10 knots headed for the barn. Low humidity to boot.

4arch 06-24-2019 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chef2sail (Post 2051610640)
Anchored in Granary Creek off the east fork of the Wye River. We are the only boat in here. Once we hit the Miles the winds picked up in the mid 15 range and we had a nice last hour sail

Granary Creek is one of our 5 all time favorite anchorages. Can fit maybe 5 boats end to end anchored. Depts are 6-6.5 ft. Very narrow entrance to a tree line little creek. Lots of Bald Eagles and red tailed hawks circling the boat late afternoon.

At dusk (now) the sounds of many different species of birds sounding off.

Granary is the next creek down from Dividing Creek.

It's one of our favorites too. Slightly less picturesque than Dividing Creek, but usually less crowded. Very easy to get ashore there to go to Wye Island. We usually go ashore and walk the trails when we're down that way.

chef2sail 06-24-2019 08:50 PM

Agree about Dividing.
Quite a crowd in there though seems as though a lot of clubs hang out there. Also many will not try the narrow Granary.

chef2sail 06-27-2019 05:59 PM

Iffy weekend.....looks like a scorcher��������
Heats about the only thing which deters me

TakeFive 06-27-2019 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chef2sail (Post 2051611544)

Gentle breeze looks OK, but Saturday night looks brutal for being on the hook. AC required. Sunday looks better. Iím thinking about taking Monday off and going out Sun-Mon. Family commitments might interfere.

Rhapsody-NS27 06-28-2019 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chef2sail (Post 2051611544)

With the boat still on the hard, I'll still do some work on it. I may try running the AC but doubt it'll keep up.

Any work I do gets me closer to the water. ;)

TakeFive 06-29-2019 11:45 AM

Anyone get into Queenstown this year? Any issues with depth or shoaling?

chef2sail 06-29-2019 06:48 PM

I ventured in there once and never again as it not only had a shallow entrance, there are far nicer anchorages a few miles away like Corsica, Greys Inn etc. I remember 4arch told me a story that he went in a chart / ac said you could walk to an ice cream place and found that it had closed up.

Besides you can hear the 301 road truck noise

TakeFive 06-29-2019 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chef2sail (Post 2051611916)
I ventured in there once and never again as it not only had a shallow entrance, there are far nicer anchorages a few miles away like Corsica, Greys Inn etc. I remember 4arch told me a story that he went in a chart / ac said you could walk to an ice cream place and found that it had closed up.

Besides you can hear the 301 road truck noise

Iíve been in there before, just wondering how things have changed. Looking for a possible daysail stop to drop the hook for lunch. Corsica is a little further away for round trip daysail, and a very long dinghy ride to take the dog ashore.

chef2sail 06-29-2019 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TakeFive (Post 2051611946)
Iíve been in there before, just wondering how things have changed. Looking for a possible daysail stop to drop the hook for lunch. Corsica is a little further away for round trip daysail, and a very long dinghy ride to take the dog ashore.

Pretty strong gusts and headwinds heading home from Cedar Point back to Rock Hall if you pick the Chester for tomorrowís trip.

Broad Creek , Magothy is worth taking over to and would be a great ride back. There is a beach on the northern side though I donít know if you are allowed to land there.