2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 27 - SailNet Community
 134Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #261 of 312 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

We had a mellow day. Replaced one of the bilge pump switch which I bought at West Marine last night ( ran into JeffH and a few laughs, he’s looking younger ) . Did inside boat projects 🧽 no then headed to the movies to see “Yesterday” . Good stories. Excellent music

tomorrow looks like a great sailing day with steady W to WNW 15 gusts to 25. Temps high 80s with dropping humidity. Perfect for N -S oriented runs. May do Swan Creek and Back .....or 😄😄😄😄😄😄

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #262 of 312 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Beautiful morning temp 80 but the breeze is great and NO humidity. Setting up for a good sailing day. Will be warm when we go back in but without the humidity, bearable. But it’s July on the Chessie. And there is good wind nowadays forecast to increase during the day

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #263 of 312 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Yesterday afternoon had some interesting weather, these clouds crowded over the mooring field on the North East River looking a bit like doomsday. For about an hour after they passed we had some rain and wind gusts in the high 20s.
Attached Thumbnails
20190629 clouds over mooring field.jpg  
Rhapsody-NS27 and ThereYouAre like this.

post #264 of 312 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Daniel - Norsea 27

Worked on my boat yesterday. Setup an AC unit in the companion way. While it wasn't great, it was a lot better than not having it. I was at least able to knock off a project from my list. Looking forward to my refit being completed. By the time I left, the inside temp was 81, but outside was mid 90s.

Just as I was packing up to head back to the house, it started pouring down heavy hard rain. I got a bit soaked, but 10 minutes away from the marina, it hadn't rained at all. Should have waited in the boat for the rain to pass. Oh well. It was a good day.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
post #265 of 312 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Great sail today. We cruised back and forth from the Severn to Rock Hall and back on just a furled jib. 10 steady but gusts in the mid 20s. We just wanted to take it easy so be cut down on the sail area, but going south we still did 6.5-7.2.

Anchored in Whitehall Bay and took a nap and were amused by a Sailtime Marlow with a plow anchor creating furrows in the bottom with poor anchoring technique. He tried at least 12 times. Other boats pulled up anchors to get out of his way. Finally he tried upwind of us. I was going to say something but Donna beat me to the punch. She walked up to the bow and yelled to him, try someplace else.

I had to laugh.....hard.
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #266 of 312 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Evening sail to Eagle Cove on the Magothy. Dinner and relaxing. Took a vacation day for tomorrow. Wind scoop set up in V-berth is funneling ample air through the boat. No bugs, thanks to the breeze.

The sail over was lively in 10-15 kts. Started as a broad reach, but wind shifted and became a hard beat for a short while. Passed through the channel in front of a cruise ship, but we passed with 10 minutes to spare. Still, had to be extra careful not to get caught in irons, and were ready to fire up the motor in case. He was doing 14-15 kts.

On the way into Magothy we passed @T37Chef heading the other way on Windgeist. We chatted briefly on VHF.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Last edited by TakeFive; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:40 PM.
post #267 of 312 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Administrator

I had a chef2sail sighting. As some of you know I work one night a week at the Annapolis West Marine. (I still have my day job but there are great employee discounts that are very helpful when you own and are restoring an old boat plus I enjoy my fellow staff and working with folks who come in to do a project.) Friday I was at the service counter and who should walk in but Dave (chef2sail) himself. It was fun seeing him and having a brief chance to catch up a bit. (Dave- I hope the shower strum box project worked out for you.)

Regards,
Jeff
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #268 of 312 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
I had a chef2sail sighting. As some of you know I work one night a week at the Annapolis West Marine. (I still have my day job but there are great employee discounts that are very helpful when you own and are restoring an old boat plus I enjoy my fellow staff and working with folks who come in to do a project.) Friday I was at the service counter and who should walk in but Dave (chef2sail) himself. It was fun seeing him and having a brief chance to catch up a bit. (Dave- I hope the shower strum box project worked out for you.)

Regards,
Jeff
Perfect advice. Found the proper low profile plastic butter container at home along with good screen. Savings....$45.

Great to see you too.

Your writing about the solo sailing association fascinates me.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #269 of 312 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Your writing about the solo sailing association fascinates me.
Thank you. I have been enjoying working on the board of CHESSS (Chesapeake Shorthanded Sailing Society) to get it going and sailing with CHESSS folks. I also have been getting a kick out of writing the various articles for Spinsheet.

Jeff
T37Chef likes this.

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #270 of 312 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Saw that here also...Was making me think..Pre Tornado..Thankfully, that didn't happen

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in