SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chesapeake Bay (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/)
-   -   2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/327588-2019-sailing-season-chesapeake.html)

chef2sail 01-02-2019 09:21 PM

Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Visited Haleakula yesterday. Quietly sitting in her slip on Whitehall Creek with a few of her friends. Winter canvas doing it's job protecting her from winter winds.

Our goal is always March 15 75 days from now. Plan is to have her hauled briefly at Hartage for a compound and wax , touch up leading edges of keel and rudder with Ultima 60, have a couplete rigging inspection. The rod was redone 15 years ago. Have our wind instrument replaced.

We will as u see u as long o lots of cruising on the Bay .

First vacation of three weeks will be a jaunt up to Newport, via Cape May . Pobably including , Block Island Greenport, Sag Harbor , Mystic, Mattituck, Northport, Port Washington, Atlantic highlands and Barnegat. Looking at leaving May 23 . While we have visited these areas on other trips up, we will enjoy seeing them again.

If anyone would like to travel up or meet up there let me know.

Second vacation of two weeks will be a southern Chesapeake one. Yorktown, ( a number of days) James River, Rappahanock, many of the northern neck of Virginia creeks. Looks like the second and third weeks of September. Always keep a watchful eye are this time as it's when the he hurricanes/ storms can come up the coast.

ImGary01 01-03-2019 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoCoSailor (Post 2051573608)
You all are killing me with your sailing plans for the bay. We're still 2 years away from being there full time :(.....hope to do at least one day out on the bay again this year.

We've chartered a boat from Norton Yacht's (Deltaville VA) the last two years. Anyone have another recommendation on a place rent a sailboat from in Virginia?

Annapolis is a great place to charter from. You will have more options for sailing to different ports and staying in Annapolis (if you don't want to overnight in a different port) is always a great time. Can't beat the sailing culture there.

T37Chef 01-03-2019 10:54 AM

I can never plan, I just go as often as possible. As a liveaboard I am committed to keeping the boat ready to sail and not become a condo in a slip. That also offers a lot more short trips during the weekdays. In addition, sailing in the winter months is possible when weather is acceptable for myself or guest. That said, this year I will be removing the sails for some minor updates and maintenance needs, something I have not done since they went on new a few years ago.

I am hopeful to get out in the ocean this summer with a trip somewhere North, definitely Martha's Vineyard and Newport, other stops will be planned along the way to and from.

Spring and Summer cannot come fast enough, in the meantime snow skiing and wine by a fire will do.

Horace74 01-03-2019 01:51 PM

Anyone know if a good place to anchor to watch the rocket launches from Wallops??

Anchor1800 01-03-2019 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T37Chef (Post 2051573812)
I can never plan, I just go as often as possible. As a liveaboard I am committed to keeping the boat ready to sail and not become a condo in a slip. That also offers a lot more short trips during the weekdays. In addition, sailing in the winter months is possible when weather is acceptable for myself or guest. That said, this year I will be removing the sails for some minor updates and maintenance needs, something I have not done since they went on new a few years ago.

I am hopeful to get out in the ocean this summer with a trip somewhere North, definitely Martha's Vineyard and Newport, other stops will be planned along the way to and from.

Spring and Summer cannot come fast enough, in the meantime snow skiing and wine by a fire will do.

I completely agree and was able to get out on New Years Day to enjoy the sun and wind! A great way to start off 2019.

JoCoSailor 01-03-2019 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImGary01 (Post 2051573766)
Annapolis is a great place to charter from. You will have more options for sailing to different ports and staying in Annapolis (if you don't want to overnight in a different port) is always a great time. Can't beat the sailing culture there.

I've loved the time I spend Annapolis...hope to spend more time there once we've relocated out that way. We're pretty set on moving to the Northerneck of VA. Next time will be mostly house hunting there. That rules out sailing anywhere other than VA for now....

GeorgeB 01-03-2019 11:56 PM

This thread is unfair! What about all us "non-Chessie" sailors?

markdthorne 01-04-2019 10:42 AM

This is a fun winter thread. Thanks for posting. My Wife, Son and I do an annual 4th of July trip. Usually Montauk/Block Island. This year we will probably do Mattituck and Fishers Island. We are based in Liberty Harbor and sail a Jonmeri 33. We sail every weekend/Wednesday night races.

Feel free to send me a message if in the area!

Mark

Jeff356 01-04-2019 01:11 PM

Will try to get in reasonably early and start hitting our regular closer spots in the spring, Still Pond, Wortons, Swan Creek, Baltimore , Annapolis, Magothy and Reed Creek off the Chester.
When warmer weather comes along with longer weekends to stretch out we want to explore more below Annapolis, heard there are many nice anchorages to check out. Will hit St. Michaels and Shaw Bay / Wye River again as we love that area.

Here is hoping for better sailing weather this year and not some much flooding and debris.

Jeff

chef2sail 01-05-2019 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff356 (Post 2051574122)
Will try to get in reasonably early and start hitting our regular closer spots in the spring, Still Pond, Wortons, Swan Creek, Baltimore , Annapolis, Magothy and Reed Creek off the Chester.
When warmer weather comes along with longer weekends to stretch out we want to explore more below Annapolis, heard there are many nice anchorages to check out. Will hit St. Michaels and Shaw Bay / Wye River again as we love that area.

Here is hoping for better sailing weather this year and not some much flooding and debris.

Jeff

All great places. Get down to the Choptank , lots of neat spots, Oxford, St Micheals via San Domingo , Boby ( spelled correctly) Owl Creek , La Trappe