2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 131Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 310 Old 01-02-2019 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Visited Haleakula yesterday. Quietly sitting in her slip on Whitehall Creek with a few of her friends. Winter canvas doing it's job protecting her from winter winds.

Our goal is always March 15 75 days from now. Plan is to have her hauled briefly at Hartage for a compound and wax , touch up leading edges of keel and rudder with Ultima 60, have a couplete rigging inspection. The rod was redone 15 years ago. Have our wind instrument replaced.

We will as u see u as long o lots of cruising on the Bay .

First vacation of three weeks will be a jaunt up to Newport, via Cape May . Pobably including , Block Island Greenport, Sag Harbor , Mystic, Mattituck, Northport, Port Washington, Atlantic highlands and Barnegat. Looking at leaving May 23 . While we have visited these areas on other trips up, we will enjoy seeing them again.

If anyone would like to travel up or meet up there let me know.

Second vacation of two weeks will be a southern Chesapeake one. Yorktown, ( a number of days) James River, Rappahanock, many of the northern neck of Virginia creeks. Looks like the second and third weeks of September. Always keep a watchful eye are this time as it's when the he hurricanes/ storms can come up the coast.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 01-02-2019 at 09:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 310 Old 01-03-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoCoSailor View Post
You all are killing me with your sailing plans for the bay. We're still 2 years away from being there full time .....hope to do at least one day out on the bay again this year.

We've chartered a boat from Norton Yacht's (Deltaville VA) the last two years. Anyone have another recommendation on a place rent a sailboat from in Virginia?
Annapolis is a great place to charter from. You will have more options for sailing to different ports and staying in Annapolis (if you don't want to overnight in a different port) is always a great time. Can't beat the sailing culture there.
post #23 of 310 Old 01-03-2019

I can never plan, I just go as often as possible. As a liveaboard I am committed to keeping the boat ready to sail and not become a condo in a slip. That also offers a lot more short trips during the weekdays. In addition, sailing in the winter months is possible when weather is acceptable for myself or guest. That said, this year I will be removing the sails for some minor updates and maintenance needs, something I have not done since they went on new a few years ago.

I am hopeful to get out in the ocean this summer with a trip somewhere North, definitely Martha's Vineyard and Newport, other stops will be planned along the way to and from.

Spring and Summer cannot come fast enough, in the meantime snow skiing and wine by a fire will do.

Shawn

post #24 of 310 Old 01-03-2019

Anyone know if a good place to anchor to watch the rocket launches from Wallops??
post #25 of 310 Old 01-03-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
I can never plan, I just go as often as possible. As a liveaboard I am committed to keeping the boat ready to sail and not become a condo in a slip. That also offers a lot more short trips during the weekdays. In addition, sailing in the winter months is possible when weather is acceptable for myself or guest. That said, this year I will be removing the sails for some minor updates and maintenance needs, something I have not done since they went on new a few years ago.

I am hopeful to get out in the ocean this summer with a trip somewhere North, definitely Martha's Vineyard and Newport, other stops will be planned along the way to and from.

Spring and Summer cannot come fast enough, in the meantime snow skiing and wine by a fire will do.
I completely agree and was able to get out on New Years Day to enjoy the sun and wind! A great way to start off 2019.
T37Chef likes this.
post #26 of 310 Old 01-03-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImGary01 View Post
Annapolis is a great place to charter from. You will have more options for sailing to different ports and staying in Annapolis (if you don't want to overnight in a different port) is always a great time. Can't beat the sailing culture there.
I've loved the time I spend Annapolis...hope to spend more time there once we've relocated out that way. We're pretty set on moving to the Northerneck of VA. Next time will be mostly house hunting there. That rules out sailing anywhere other than VA for now....

Chrysler Buccaneer 18

If you want to save the world...eat farm-raised oysters!

“Every man dies. Not every man really lives.” – William Wallace
post #27 of 310 Old 01-03-2019

This thread is unfair! What about all us "non-Chessie" sailors?
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

George B
2000 Catalina 34 MkII
Alameda, Ca.
post #28 of 310 Old 01-04-2019

This is a fun winter thread. Thanks for posting. My Wife, Son and I do an annual 4th of July trip. Usually Montauk/Block Island. This year we will probably do Mattituck and Fishers Island. We are based in Liberty Harbor and sail a Jonmeri 33. We sail every weekend/Wednesday night races.

Feel free to send me a message if in the area!

Mark
post #29 of 310 Old 01-04-2019

Will try to get in reasonably early and start hitting our regular closer spots in the spring, Still Pond, Wortons, Swan Creek, Baltimore , Annapolis, Magothy and Reed Creek off the Chester.
When warmer weather comes along with longer weekends to stretch out we want to explore more below Annapolis, heard there are many nice anchorages to check out. Will hit St. Michaels and Shaw Bay / Wye River again as we love that area.

Here is hoping for better sailing weather this year and not some much flooding and debris.

Jeff
chef2sail, oldlaxer1 and Dfok like this.

s/v LegaSea
Hunter 2003 356
Middle River, MD
post #30 of 310 Old 01-05-2019 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff356 View Post
Will try to get in reasonably early and start hitting our regular closer spots in the spring, Still Pond, Wortons, Swan Creek, Baltimore , Annapolis, Magothy and Reed Creek off the Chester.
When warmer weather comes along with longer weekends to stretch out we want to explore more below Annapolis, heard there are many nice anchorages to check out. Will hit St. Michaels and Shaw Bay / Wye River again as we love that area.

Here is hoping for better sailing weather this year and not some much flooding and debris.

Jeff
All great places. Get down to the Choptank , lots of neat spots, Oxford, St Micheals via San Domingo , Boby ( spelled correctly) Owl Creek , La Trappe

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in