2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 31 - SailNet Community
 192Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #301 of 520 Old 07-14-2019
Administrator

Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
I'm back home, although there were times when I thought I wasn't going to make it home ever again.
I thought this short story would be amusing to some of the forum members.

All the best,

Gary
Gary,

It is great to see you posting again, and and even better to hear that you were out on the water again. I deeply saddened that you had such a rough time out there and are hanging up your boat shoes and selling the boat. You are one tough old bird if you can sail 142 miles in 5 to 6 foot seas and 25 to 30 knot winds no matter what point of sail you are on.

It sounds like you were around the corner from my home on Mill Creek off Whitehall Bay. I missed the chance for a Travelin-easy sighting.

Hopefully, you will be able to get some decent sails in before you need to part ways with your beloved Morgan.

Best wishes,
Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 07-14-2019 at 08:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 520 Old 07-14-2019 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
Today, the weather is absolutely beautiful, but not for sailing in the bay;s upper reaches - not a breath of air, which is often the case since I purchased a sailboat more than a decade ago.

After being busted up on my last excursion by a rouge wave, I decided to hang it up, sell the boat and do other things. Thought I would share this quick video of the trip with the good folks on this forum.

My Final Voyage - YouTube

Gary
G Man

You are always welcome on Haleakula when you need your sailing fix

It isn’t about always owning a boat that makes you a sailor at heart, and you can’t take the sailor out of the person.

Call us anytime

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #303 of 520 Old 07-14-2019

We arrived at the boat at 2:30 today with dog in tow. Too bloody hot to go out right away, so we took it easy in the A/C for a few hours. We then headed out, uncertain if it would be just an evening sail or a night on the hook. Wind sensors showed it was dying in Chester River, but picking up in the Bay, so we did a broad reach toward Magothy and arrived in 2 hours and decided not to turn back. Since we wanted a very dog friendly area, we headed to Dobbins Island, where we quickly dinghied to shore so the dog could burn off some energy before nightfall.

There’s just a hint of a breeze, so the wind scoop helps. A fan does the rest. The missus doesn’t like sleeping in the heat, so tonight will test her limits. Temps are supposed to drop in the morning, but no breeze, so it should be a pleasant motor home tomorrow.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2880.jpeg  

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Last edited by TakeFive; 07-15-2019 at 11:31 PM.

post #304 of 520 Old 07-15-2019

I feel like we got a bonus this weekend. I left work a little early on Friday and the bride and I took a lovely evening sail. Plenty of breeze and not too hot. Pulled back into the slip right at dark. Too damn hot and no breeze on Saturday but yesterday I walked over to the sailboat to tidy up from Friday nights sail and I'm feeling a decent breeze. I finished my chores and walked back to the Hatteras and asked my wife if she'd like to go for another sail. She said sure and said let's see if Bobby and Caryl want to go. They live in the townhouses right at the marina. They were excited and we met at the boat 30 minutes later and off we went. What a treat of a sail. It was a little warm leaving the harbor as we were almost dead down wind but once we rounded Ft McHenry and hardened up a bit the breeze cooled us off. Winds built steadily and we were loving life on the broad reach. Winds continued to build so we ducked behind a bit of land and I put a reef in so our guests wouldn't be uncomfortable on the beat back to the harbor. It was a good move because we'd have been a bit overpowered in the gusts. As it was, we were perfectly balanced with a light touch on the helm. Sailed her right back to about 1/4 mile from the slip, dropped sails, and put her away for the day. I love those kind of sails.

s/v Harmony
1973 Tartan 30 #186
Anchorage Marina, Baltimore MD
post #305 of 520 Old 07-15-2019

Left late Saturday for the Corsica... Beautiful moon lit night under power, almost zero wind. Woke up Sunday, grabbed some coffee and went to get the anchor up... What's that on the anchor roller? Just a two foot water snake hahaha. It did not want to leave the boat hahaha. Suppose it had to slither up the chain and parked itself firmly under the furler. It was great entertainment for the kids. Motored all the way until we turned West after the green can. Short sa as I choose to lower the headsail and take it in for service. The storm we got knocked down in a couple weeks ago did some damage. It was time anyway... The sacrificial dacron UV cover got shredded in the 50+ winds we had...

I sold my ripped old light air 150 to a bag maker person so I forgot... My only other sail aboard is the storm sail... Ugh

Pricing a new sail for the light summer winds... I have a 135, should look at a light 150%? 145%?? 160%???

Chesapeake Sail Makers will tell me haha

Shawn

post #306 of 520 Old 07-15-2019

Dolphin sighting off Queenstown by the way... Our first sighting of the season!

Shawn

post #307 of 520 Old 07-15-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Left late Saturday for the Corsica... Beautiful moon lit night under power, almost zero wind. Woke up Sunday, grabbed some coffee and went to get the anchor up... What's that on the anchor roller? Just a two foot water snake hahaha. It did not want to leave the boat hahaha. Suppose it had to slither up the chain and parked itself firmly under the furler. It was great entertainment for the kids. Motored all the way until we turned West after the green can. Short sa as I choose to lower the headsail and take it in for service. The storm we got knocked down in a couple weeks ago did some damage. It was time anyway... The sacrificial dacron UV cover got shredded in the 50+ winds we had...

I sold my ripped old light air 150 to a bag maker person so I forgot... My only other sail aboard is the storm sail... Ugh

Pricing a new sail for the light summer winds... I have a 135, should look at a light 150%? 145%?? 160%???

Chesapeake Sail Makers will tell me haha
Love Chuck and Jay at CSM. Good prices too.
T37Chef likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #308 of 520 Old 07-15-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldlaxer1 View Post
I feel like we got a bonus this weekend. I left work a little early on Friday and the bride and I took a lovely evening sail. Plenty of breeze and not too hot. Pulled back into the slip right at dark. Too damn hot and no breeze on Saturday but yesterday I walked over to the sailboat to tidy up from Friday nights sail and I'm feeling a decent breeze. I finished my chores and walked back to the Hatteras and asked my wife if she'd like to go for another sail. She said sure and said let's see if Bobby and Caryl want to go. They live in the townhouses right at the marina. They were excited and we met at the boat 30 minutes later and off we went. What a treat of a sail. It was a little warm leaving the harbor as we were almost dead down wind but once we rounded Ft McHenry and hardened up a bit the breeze cooled us off. Winds built steadily and we were loving life on the broad reach. Winds continued to build so we ducked behind a bit of land and I put a reef in so our guests wouldn't be uncomfortable on the beat back to the harbor. It was a good move because we'd have been a bit overpowered in the gusts. As it was, we were perfectly balanced with a light touch on the helm. Sailed her right back to about 1/4 mile from the slip, dropped sails, and put her away for the day. I love those kind of sails.
Hey John, "Freedom" looks like a mighty nice home! That's really "living the dream" to have a huge PB to live on the water, and a nice sailboat to jump into whenever the wind picks up.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #309 of 520 Old 07-16-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldlaxer1 View Post

Looking good

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #310 of 520 Old 07-16-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Hey John, "Freedom" looks like a mighty nice home! That's really "living the dream" to have a huge PB to live on the water, and a nice sailboat to jump into whenever the wind picks up.
We thought we might be able to enjoy the sailboat a bit more and so far it is working out. We've been out 10 times already this year where last year we got out a total of two. We were planning on moving the sailboat to a marina closer to the mouth of the Patapsco this season but having it at the Anchorage gives us two parking spaces. If I can figure out a solution to the parking we may still consider it. I'd love to be able to do single overnighters to Rock Hall or Magothy but it is 2 hours to the mouth of the river at 6 kts. We have a new rescue Pug who has taken some trips with us and is really good on the boat. I'm anxious for some cooling in the fall to be able to take him overnight. He came "pad trained" so even anchoring out won't be a huge issue. Hope to see you in RH soon.
John

s/v Harmony
1973 Tartan 30 #186
Anchorage Marina, Baltimore MD

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in