2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 33 - SailNet Community
 192Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #321 of 520 Old 07-22-2019
Trailer Sailer Moderator

Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Finally - a decent stretch off of work!

My dad and I are going on a three day sail starting this Wednesday. Since I'm leaving from Sandy Point State Park, based on the wind I may go toward Annapolis and anchor in a creek somewhere past Route 50 for the first night. Maybe a mooring for the second night in Annapolis. Does anyone else have a decent idea for a couple day sail based on the forecast and starting point?

I'm really looking forward to getting out on the water. The V berth is 100% done, and now I'm working on finishing the rest of the interior prep and paint. The deck nonskid is almost completely done too. So close, yet so far! Tomorrow (Tuesday) will be meal planning and last minute boat prep.
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.

~ Rezz

S/v DreamWeaver
1980 Laguna Windrose 22
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #322 of 520 Old 07-22-2019 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezz View Post
Finally - a decent stretch off of work!

My dad and I are going on a three day sail starting this Wednesday. Since I'm leaving from Sandy Point State Park, based on the wind I may go toward Annapolis and anchor in a creek somewhere past Route 50 for the first night. Maybe a mooring for the second night in Annapolis. Does anyone else have a decent idea for a couple day sail based on the forecast and starting point?

I'm really looking forward to getting out on the water. The V berth is 100% done, and now I'm working on finishing the rest of the interior prep and paint. The deck nonskid is almost completely done too. So close, yet so far! Tomorrow (Tuesday) will be meal planning and last minute boat prep.
Good to see you getting out. Looks like a nice couple of days. Wednesday north winds. Thursday and Friday very light wind.

Here are some options.

South River Aberdeen Creek or Harness Creek the first night. 11-13 miles downwind , then broad reach up the river or

Clements Creek up the Severn with free navy moorings or one of my favorites Hopkins Creek in the Forrest way up the Servern off of Little Round Bay. Same down wind broad reach then close hauled up the Severn. 10 miles to Clements , 13 to Hopkins.

Second night eithe moor in Annapolis Harbor or Anchor in Mill Creek (JeffHs ) or my creek Whitehall Creek both off of Whitehall Bay

Good shakedown cruise.

Last suggestion Rhode River H Bar for the first night and Annapolis the second.

Have fun. Nice days, cool nights.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #323 of 520 Old 07-22-2019 Thread Starter

Course you could always take a mooring in Annapolis Harbor by 6 and be part of the race and Finnish line for the Wednesday night races. It’s quite and interesting sight as they cut in and about the moored boats under full sail and close quarters using the moored boats as picks,

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

post #324 of 520 Old 07-23-2019
Trailer Sailer Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Good to see you getting out. Looks like a nice couple of days. Wednesday north winds. Thursday and Friday very light wind.

Here are some options.

South River Aberdeen Creek or Harness Creek the first night. 11-13 miles downwind , then broad reach up the river or

Clements Creek up the Severn with free navy moorings or one of my favorites Hopkins Creek in the Forrest way up the Servern off of Little Round Bay. Same down wind broad reach then close hauled up the Severn. 10 miles to Clements , 13 to Hopkins.

Second night eithe moor in Annapolis Harbor or Anchor in Mill Creek (JeffHs ) or my creek Whitehall Creek both off of Whitehall Bay

Good shakedown cruise.

Last suggestion Rhode River H Bar for the first night and Annapolis the second.

Have fun. Nice days, cool nights.
My first trip long trip was Clements and a mooring in Annapolis. That was a nice set of locations. I'm tempted to do the same, because I know them already and I don't have to worry about dropping an anchor. But somewhere new is always nice...

What do you like about Hopkins Creek? I haven't been past Clements yet. I may plan on sailing as long as there's wind, so if it dies down by the time we hit Clements we could just pull in.

Thanks for all the intel!

~ Rezz

S/v DreamWeaver
1980 Laguna Windrose 22
post #325 of 520 Old 07-23-2019 Thread Starter

Hopkins is a tiny little cove with lots of mature trees around it

It’s a great place when it’s really windy or you want shade. Lots of nature and birds

Next to it Hopkins off of Little Round Bay is Naydenier Creek which is much more wide open if you’d like a breeze

Little Round Bay is also a great place to sail if the Bay is too windy. No real fetch to create chip

There are a couple of SN who keep their boats up there
Rezz likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #326 of 520 Old 07-27-2019

We’re back in the Magothy River at Dobbins Island again. We finally made it to the boat on a Saturday, but commitments at home caused another 5 pm departure from the dock. We were rewarded with better than expected winds, due south at 8-11 kts. We were able to beat to windward to just barely make the mouth of the Magothy on one tack. We had hoped to get to Annapolis, but the late start and wind direction made that impossible before dark.

We have the the dog, who LOVES to play with his floating rock at the beach, so we headed to Dobbins Island, where Mr. Clickner may have won his lawsuit to prevent people from roaming all over his island (I’m sympathetic to him on that one), but he can’t prevent public access below Mean High Water. With low tide at 8 pm and 8 am, this is a perfect weekend for Dobbins Island beach. And the beach inhabitants this time were much better behaved than they were last year - no loud music, no fireworks, no trash left behind (which the dog always gravitates to), just a couple families with small children playing in the water.

We ate simple tonight (grilled burgers, salad, and watermelon), and the party boats made an early exit, leaving behind a quiet anchorage where we’re ready to head to bed.

This is our last sail for at least 3 weeks, since business travel and vacation to southwest Canada (BC and AB) will keep us away. We’ve gotten enough use of the boat to keep the bottom very clean so far, but three weeks from now that will not likely be the case.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #327 of 520 Old 07-28-2019 Thread Starter

Out myself this weekend. Donna is working.

Saw 10-12 last night sailing from Whitehall to Rhode River. Found a nice peaceful spot to anchor past Camp Letts as everyone was clustered around High Bar .

Did a whole bunch of little repairs on Haleakula which have crop up like every year.

My shower sumphad a brilliant end piece to the hose which picked up the water from the sump and then pumped it through a discharge thru hull way above the water line. But alas after 36 the end piece in the sump finally corroded through. It was designed to screen particles such as HAIR so they didn’t foul the pump. It also was angled to lay flat on the bottom of the sump so almost every last drop of water was sucked out. I could find no appropriate replacement except for $48....which is crazy. I was at West Marine a few weeks ago and JeffH made a recommendation of how to fix this. I used a pvc soap dish, drilled a 1/2 inch hole in the side and attached the pickup hose to the hole and sealed it with silicon. Using some screening material I arranged it with a wide heavy duty rubber band ( so I can easily take of the screen and clean it or periodically replace it) . ViOLA...$2 .

Changed my oil as I had over 100 hours on it since April. Cleaned the Racors, it was only 2 so I decided to go out. My wife is not happy I do that, but I always HD in the past, it was fairly benign so leaving the slip was very simple .

Single-handing as many already do on here requires you think all your moves through, especially coming and leaving the tied up area. For those who have not done it you should practice on day without your partner as you may have to do it in an emergency and going through the steps physically will make you successful. Besides it’s just a good skill to have in your toolbox.

Spend the evening watching the last two ALps stages of the Tour de France as I didn’t get to see them.

I am out sailing off the Severn and have 10 + knots with it expected to increase all afternoon. Is a great mid summer afternoon to be out.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #328 of 520 Old 07-28-2019

I don't see a lot on the forum from southern bay sailors but we are here.

I got out for my first real sail since having spinal surgery in April. My wife and I headed out Wednesday morning from Yankee Point and made it all the way to Cape Charles under sail. Things started out pretty calm but by the time we got down the river to near Deltaville it was time to put in a reef. Had a sporty little sail all the way down the bay with northerly winds and following seas. Saw some pretty impressive waves roll under our transom. I won't mention our speed at times because it was unbelievable.

We took a slip in the town harbor. The cement plant at the harbor entrance always drove me nuts because of the noise. It has been shut down for a year and the peace and quiet was great, although it dealt quite a blow to the local economy. Well the plant has been sold and is scheduled to resume operation next month.

The next morning we hoped to sail up to Deltaville, but the northerly kept pushing us south. Halfway across the bay the wind picked up and once again had us shortening sail. This time we only rolled in the headsail a bit and then flew over to Mobjack Bay. We finally gave in and motored up to Fishing Bay for a very nice night on the hook.

Next morning we went to explore a place we had never seen. From Fishing Bay it was a short trip to Milford Haven on Gwynn Island. After the swing bridge opened we followed the channel past a Coast Guard Station, some run down fish houses, and some very posh condos. The final destination was a narrow spit of sand that jutted out into the bay. This is possibly the most remote location on the western shore.

Another long slog back up the Rapp until crossing under the bridge at Whitestone when a breeze filled in and we had a peaceful evening sail back towards the home slip. After getting cleaned up and cooling off we decided it was too nice to stay in the slip and headed back out into the Corrotoman for a night at anchor on the western branch.

We will be taking a longer cruise in September and if the wind cooperates, might make it up north for a change. We have enjoyed time on the Choptank and would like to get back there. Also the Potomac.
post #329 of 520 Old 07-28-2019

Beautiful! Am looking forward to a mid season "catch up" repair session also. It's great to out alone sometimes..am with you on that...and yes...my wife Always sweats it...HA!
post #330 of 520 Old 07-28-2019

Am home from a sail South, through Kent Narrows, to St Michaels for the weekend.
We planned ahead of time to do the full "get a slip and restaraunt reservations" thing for a change.
I am SO glad that we did. It was quite hot..so the Marina shower at Higgin's was great. As all of you know...there is no end to the great dinner...and breakfast..choices.
As we came in to St Michaels on Saturday, we came right into the log canoe races. Wow! what a sight! One of them had capsized earlier. I was talking with one of the crew as 3 of the boats were in the marina that I was in and he was explaining what it took to get a canoe back up.
In the water, the mast and sails had to be removed, then the boat had to be bailed out faster then the daggerboard cockpit height let water in. Then re-rig the whole thing.
Yikes!!
I'm going to just guess at these dimensions..but...
Imagine a boat that is is 24ish ft long..a beam of approx. 4 ft...a draft that can not exceed 2 ft.. an a mast that is an easy 30 ft up.
Did I mention...Yikes!
They are Beautiful!
Pat

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in