2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 36 - SailNet Community
 192Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #351 of 520 Old 08-23-2019 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

We may pass each other . We got down at noon and stayed tied up till it rained itself out.
Left the slip at 5 and anchored off of JeffH house on Mill Creek.

Tomorrow we are headed either for the Wye or Leeds Creek across from St Micheals. Depends on if our friends from the marina want to raft up.. predicted winds fairly good . You’ll have a beat home it looks like. Sunday looks like the best wind day.

Next week we have a 4 day weekend. Unless there is some compelling wind/ storm reason we are planned not on doing the first night at Solomon’s ( Mill Creek ) , send night at LaTrappe Creek on the Choptank, third night on San Doimingo Creek Choptank ( back entrance to St Micheals) .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #352 of 520 Old 08-23-2019

Dock

Been a long summer of waiting here, first to heal up from some surgery, and then the heat (my crew does not go without a/c when it’s over 90 and thank god for that!0 We were going to leave today but decided to wait because of the rain. Hoping to get to Magothy River, St. Michaels and maybe some little anchorages. Any tips on the Kent Island bridge? First time going through there. We’ve got a week and can’t wait to get out there!
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Jim & Jacquelyn Eaton
s/v Pendragon
Anchorage Marina
Baltimore, MD
post #353 of 520 Old 08-23-2019 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Current flowwing north through the Narrow from 6:10 AM to 1:47PM should make it easier to hold position going south. Opens on the half hour. Boats with current have right of way. Channel leading away from the Bridge tricky. Especially with PB wakes.

Consider taking the great N winds down around Bloody Point.

We will be anchored in Shaw Bay or close by on the Wye if you decide to hang a left there on the way to St Micheals. Anchorage at ST Micheals May be rolly with winds N, NE.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

post #354 of 520 Old 08-25-2019

It was a great day to be on the water today!

We had to tack a couple of times to get from Annapolis to the Bay Bridge, but once through the Bridge we were able to pinch our way to Rock Hall on one tack. (We hove to somewhere around Love Point for lunch.)

I did find that the winds were rather fickle, with lots of shifts in direction. I had to give up on using the auto pilot and hand steer for much of it. Even in wind mode, the AP could not adjust fast enough and would backwind the genoa every few minutes. My friend running down the bay to Swan Creek made a similar comment, as he said he was constantly at risk of gybing with the wind shifts.

I did hear a Mayday call due to MOB, but did not hear its resolution. They claimed to be in the mouth of the Rhode River, but the coordinates they gave to the USCG were in the South River. I wonder if the coasties had to send out two boats to the conflicting locations.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #355 of 520 Old 08-25-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
It was a great day to be on the water today!

We had to tack a couple of times to get from Annapolis to the Bay Bridge, but once through the Bridge we were able to pinch our way to Rock Hall on one tack. (We hove to somewhere around Love Point for lunch.)

I did find that the winds were rather fickle, with lots of shifts in direction. I had to give up on using the auto pilot and hand steer for much of it. Even in wind mode, the AP could not adjust fast enough and would backwind the genoa every few minutes. My friend running down the bay to Swan Creek made a similar comment, as he said he was constantly at risk of gybing with the wind shifts.

I did hear a Mayday call due to MOB, but did not hear its resolution. They claimed to be in the mouth of the Rhode River, but the coordinates they gave to the USCG were in the South River. I wonder if the coasties had to send out two boats to the conflicting locations.
The coordinates they gave were exactly where the boat was anchored and the skipper on the radio claiming they were in South River when the distress skipper gave an accurate lat/long for his position and verbally stated Rhode River, only confused a horrible situation.

We were passing Rhode River Green mark (not sure the number but on the west side across from Red 4 and 6) under sail when we heard the initial Mayday. I realized we were within a 1/2 mile of the given lat long and immediately began scanning for the vessel in distress. I was the boat that repeatedly requested he fire a flare. In retrospect I should have asked him to sound his horn. Knowing he had to be close, we quickly started the engine rolled in the jib and made a 180 to head back towards the mouth of the river. As we did, the Anne Arundel Fireboat passed us, also heading to the junction of the Rhode and West Rivers. We then hear the distress skipper hailing that the Fireboat was passing them. At that point, I realized it was one of the boats anchored in the cove near the Rhode Green mark (now on our Starboard side) and they had been nearly abeam on Port when the first call came in.

We were the 2nd boat to find the distress boat (a Catamaran with a large crowd aboard) and standby. The Fireboat turned around and arrived about a minute or two after we did, so we backed off and and kept a look out for about an hour. I think there were 2 AA Fireboats, A Yellow boat I thought was Seatow but my wife says was the Annapolis Fireboat, a Coast Guard boat and a LEO boat that may have been State of MD or AA County, plus Trooper 8 Helicopter all participated in the "Search" such as it was.

The anguish of the people on that boat will be with me for quite some time.

https://www.eyeonannapolis.net/2019/...ing-from-boat/

There were probably 10 boats within a 1/2 mile of him and it took over 10 minutes before the first one recognized which boat had the issue.

PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36

Last edited by PalmettoSailor; 08-25-2019 at 06:14 PM.
post #356 of 520 Old 08-25-2019

Wow, I hadn’t realized that there was a fatality. Sounds like he jumped in intentionally. Did he hit his head on something?

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #357 of 520 Old 08-25-2019

Quote:
Wow, I hadn’t realized that there was a fatality. Sounds like he jumped in intentionally. Did he hit his head on something?
Pure assumption on my part, but from what I gather, his life vest wasn't secure and he just panicked when he came out of it. From the pointing, it appeared he just jumped off the back of the boat and never came up. I can't see how he could have hit his head.

PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36
post #358 of 520 Old 08-25-2019

Such a sad, preventable loss. Many people don’t realize how horrible a loose fitting PFD is. Especially the cheap orange ones, many of which have only one strap.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA

post #359 of 520 Old 08-26-2019

We had a nice sail from Baltimore to Gibson Island to meet up with friends on Saturday. Got in a round of golf, great meals at the club and a lot of fun. Got up Sunday morning and was hoping the winds would calm down as the day went on but by 1:00 it was still blowing and gusting pretty hard. Made the decision to leave the boat at Gibson Island instead of beating ourselves, the dog, and the boat up on a 5 or 6 hour beat to weather into 2-3 foot seas. As we were driving across the causeway our host said to put up the right side windows in the car. I said why. He says, just wait a minute. With that a huge wave crashes into the causeway and drenches the car. Oh, now I get it...

s/v Harmony
1973 Tartan 30 #186
Anchorage Marina, Baltimore MD

Last edited by oldlaxer1; 08-26-2019 at 09:01 AM.
post #360 of 520 Old 08-26-2019

Quote:
Such a sad, preventable loss. Many people don’t realize how horrible a loose fitting PFD is. Especially the cheap orange ones, many of which have only one strap.
Yes. There are always lessons. I've had non swimmers on my boat before and was pretty lax about them entering the water though I did make sure they had a vest type PFD on. I'll forever have a higher level of awareness about people getting off my boat into the water. I'll continue to make sure they have a properly fitting life vest snugly attached but now will make sure there are strong swimmers already in the water when they go in and close by at all times. While not directly related to this tragedy, I have contemplated crotch straps for the inflatables my wife and I wear and know they would be far more effective in keeping your head above water if equipped with such a strap from testing them in the pool when we change cartridges. I won't procrastinate on that any longer. There are lots of ways to hit your head on a sailboat and if the vest rides up, it might not keep your head up.

Thinking about signaling to identify your boat in day time before you need to signal is critical. I was seconds of longitude (checking the mathlikely less than 500-600 feet away) from the first lat long given, but visually all I saw were 1/2 dozen boats enjoying a nice day anchorage. That added minutes to the time it took for anyone to respond. I could tell the powerboat that arrived just ahead of me was watching his GPS and seeing that he was right on top of the distress call, but also couldn't identify the exact boat. Even as I was asking the skipper to fire a flare, I was thinking it would be a wasted effort. I've test fired them at night and they are less conspicuous than your average bottle rocket. In the day time, I think the range would be extremely limited. It never crossed my mind to ask the guy to sound his horn which definitely would have been heard by many boats. I'm going to look into the orange smoke pot things for day signals. I spoke with the skipper of a boat anchored very close to the distress boat that indicated he didn't realize there was an emergency until the fireboat arrived.

This lesson will likely not be learned by the person that needs to learn it, but if you are responding to a distress call DO NOT get on the radio and suggest the boat is not where the distress skipper says it is, until and unless you have done a rather extensive search. Someone was arguing the boat was in South River within a minute or two of the initial call, and before boats in the Rhode River really started looking.

PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in