2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 38 - SailNet Community
 192Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #371 of 520 Old 08-28-2019

Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailnavy View Post
Don't know about Tylerton but Smith Island Marina in Ewell is nice & simple, and nearly right next to the "main" area- the (only) restaurant where the ferry people get their Smith Island cake. Also next to the (only) fuel dock, right by the (only) cell tower. I presume you know about the flies? Not sure what they're like this late in the season.
Channel was re-dreged a year or two ago, nominally to 7ft. Skinniest I saw was 5.5, in early May.
Thanks for the comments!

Hmmm... kinda sorta remembered about the flies. Ewell not reponding, so Tylerton ferry dock - no facilities i know - seemed like a nice crowd-free option. We generally prefer a working boat dock to a tourist marina, but really just wanted to get over to Smith. Last time i was there was over 40 years ago...

s/v Miracle
PSC Flicka 20
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #372 of 520 Old 08-28-2019

I was also going to mention the flies.

If you want quiet on the Wicomico, consider Horn Harbor. If you want entertainment there's the Sandy Point. Both might get you out of the line of fire from the Fish Oil Plant.

I'll be heading down the Rapp to either Little Bay or maybe south towards Mobjack Bay or Milford Haven. All depends on the wind.
post #373 of 520 Old 08-28-2019 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4arch View Post
Wye or Leeds could be a plan. Let’s keep an eye on wind and weather. We’ll definitely go around the long way (not through Kent Narrows) on Labor Day weekend.
Ok sounds great

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

post #374 of 520 Old 08-29-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLOSECALL View Post

If you want quiet on the Wicomico, consider Horn Harbor. If you want entertainment there's the Sandy Point. Both might get you out of the line of fire from the Fish Oil Plant.

I'll be heading down the Rapp to either Little Bay or maybe south towards Mobjack Bay or Milford Haven. All depends on the wind.
Funny thing is as I was reading this, I was on phone with friend from Herrington who also recommended Horn Harbor.

We'll leave tomorrow and head up as far as we like/can. Right now looks like Sat sometime the wind turns to be on the nose heading to Smith so plans will be flexible.

Maybe we'l see you on Rapp - little green Flicka is easy to spot

Cheers,
a

s/v Miracle
PSC Flicka 20
post #375 of 520 Old 08-29-2019

Dock

We will be sailing out of the Rappahannock as well this weekend heading south to Cape Charles. It will probably be a bit more crowded than Smith lol!
Totuma likes this.
post #376 of 520 Old 08-30-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLOSECALL View Post

Curious about entertainment at Sandy Point. I've anchored there many times and usually was the only boat and don't remember there ever being more that a couple of other boats anchored and was surprised to see the complaints of traffic on the main channel causing wake. I remember being upset once when another boat came in after we set and anchored 200 yards away. Since coming to the Herring Bay region I've had my concept of "too close" adjusted for me. Maybe things have changed at Sandy Point also as its been several years since my last visit but Sandy Point was always one of my favorite spots. Never had a whiff of the fish plant there either, but I typically pick anchorages based on forecast winds, so most likely had winds out of the south or west when we were there.

I never made it up to Horn Harbor, but would think if you were going, now would be the time of year. As protected as it is, its probably not a great choice in Jul or Aug, unless you need to dodge a major front. However, If my next plan was to cross to Smith, I'd take Sandy Point for convenience.

PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36
post #377 of 520 Old 08-30-2019 Thread Starter

Great close hauled sail to the Choptank . Winds S 15-22 but very little chop. Haleakula buzzed right along at 7+ clip so we made the 28 miles in less than 4 hours

We are anchored at the mouth of Plaindealing Creek across the Tred Avon from Oxford (Town Creek). Nice breeze and blue sky.

Thoughts go out to our SN friends on the East Florida Coast.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #378 of 520 Old 08-31-2019 Thread Starter

Heading over to San Domingo Creek....off of Broad Creek ....off of the Choptank. Most know San Domingo is the backdoor way to St Micheals. There is a place for dinghies and a two block walk up to Main Street.

Off of Broad Creek there are so many neat coves and anchorages . Lendenham Creek, Chaulk, Boby Owl ( spelled correctly) to name a few. We have anchored in at least 45 different coves and creeks on the Choptank over the years.

Weather this weekend is perfect

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #379 of 520 Old 09-01-2019 Thread Starter

Anchored in San Domingo. Dinghied in for a great Pizza at Ava’s for lunch.
Dinner back n the boar. Grilled Balsamic portobellos stuffed with Gorgonzola, filet mignon, Asian chopped salad.
Nice Pinot noir and awesome sunset.
PatMc57 likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #380 of 520 Old 09-01-2019

My wife's work commitments (faculty party today, classes start tomorrow) prevented us from anchoring out last night, so we settled for a daysail yesterday. We were both tired from a long week of work, so we let out the headsail and pointed toward Patapsco for what we expected to be an easy reach. We were expecting a gentle NNE breeze, but when we got outside Swan Point we were reading 13-14 on our transducer, which we know to be 10-20% lower than actual wind. We saw steady 3 footers and occasional 4 footer. If I had known, I would have kept a couple of wraps on the furler. We were going 6.5 kts on headsail alone, and went all the way to Patapsco mouth in 2 hours. We turned around for the return trip, and things died down to about 8 knots with much smoother seas, though things picked up a bit again on the east side of the Bay. We were close hauled, planning to cut across the bar at the Swan Point North Range light, but I checked the Tolchester tide monitors and it looked like low tide was running a foot below recent norms, so I got a little nervous about crossing Swan Point Bar and headed down to Green Can 3 to go around the south end of the bar instead. Every boat we saw in that area was on one sail - most were headsails, a couple were mainsails.

We stayed overnight in the slip so we could leave early today, so we decided to make the rounds with dinner at Wheelhouse (our second time there, nice atmosphere but disappointing food both times) followed by drinks at the tiki bar at Harbor Shack. The marina was buzzing with transients who were having a good time and very friendly.

This morning, before leaving for home, I replaced a fender line with improved chafe protection. I had almost lost the fender, which was hanging by three threads.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3162.JPG  
oldlaxer1 likes this.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in