Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

By the way, most of us are now in Dorian’s cone of uncertainty:

Attached Thumbnails
C5A2420C-2256-4105-8DD1-9DA423C41BAA.png  
MastUndSchotbruch likes this.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #382 of 423 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoSailor View Post
Curious about entertainment at Sandy Point. I've anchored there many times and usually was the only boat and don't remember there ever being more that a couple of other boats anchored and was surprised to see the complaints of traffic on the main channel causing wake. I remember being upset once when another boat came in after we set and anchored 200 yards away. Since coming to the Herring Bay region I've had my concept of "too close" adjusted for me. Maybe things have changed at Sandy Point also as its been several years since my last visit but Sandy Point was always one of my favorite spots. Never had a whiff of the fish plant there either, but I typically pick anchorages based on forecast winds, so most likely had winds out of the south or west when we were there.

I never made it up to Horn Harbor, but would think if you were going, now would be the time of year. As protected as it is, its probably not a great choice in Jul or Aug, unless you need to dodge a major front. However, If my next plan was to cross to Smith, I'd take Sandy Point for convenience.
Left Rapp with good winds and modest seas heading N, arriving at Sandy Point Friday night. When we arrived there was one 40'ish trawler-type and no one else. Later in eve a huuuge yacht arrived - "Cavalier Club" registered in Jamaica - and they anchored in further out deep water. Had to chuckle watching uniformed deck crew monitoring anchor deployment and petite little-black-dress'ed woman spectating from forward deck. Crazy... We closed in to 15' of water which means we had lots of distance and plenty of privacy. Lovely anchorage tho lots of houses.

Sat we crossed over to Smith, managing to make it to Smith Point in light winds, then finally giving up and firing up motor in order to make it across shipping channel. Learned that Smith Island Marina attempt failed (family health issues?) and tho there are slips right at the big restaurant, they lack any facilities at all. That said, the current restaurant managers offered the slip for the night free of charge, which turned out to be quite nice. Very interesting to watch the steady stream of crabbers pulling up to buy-boat tied up at dock 2 slips over from us. We also later learned that the (new) owners of the bakery nearby have full service facilities and are trying to develop that biz. We opted to grab some cake there, but stay where we were, which we were glad for as two other larger sailboats fully loaded with people showed up later in day (and headed to bakery docks). Once the last ferry left at 4pm, we had the dock entirely to ourselves

Left Smith before 7am Sun thinking the 40+nm passage would take us a while. By 8, winds were fresh and good for a broad reach which with help from tide, helped us see 7kts (GPS) - which on a 20' 6000lb+ boat, is positively flying! Even putting in first reef and dialing-in jib to 100% didn't make a diff. We clocked 14-18kt winds with a couple of gust to 20 in proximity to Smith Point light. Waves were substantial but no real cross-chop so the sail was actually very pleasant. Things changed dramatically nearing mouth of Rapp, where it got confused and fickle. We flogged a bit trying to run downwind /upriver until things smoothed out closer to the bridge.

All in all a lovely outing. Thanks all who advised on Smith/Wicomico anchorages...
chef2sail likes this.

s/v Miracle
PSC Flicka 20
post #383 of 423 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totuma View Post
Left Rapp with good winds and modest seas heading N, arriving at Sandy Point Friday night. When we arrived there was one 40'ish trawler-type and no one else. Later in eve a huuuge yacht arrived - "Cavalier Club" registered in Jamaica - and they anchored in further out deep water. Had to chuckle watching uniformed deck crew monitoring anchor deployment and petite little-black-dress'ed woman spectating from forward deck. Crazy... We closed in to 15' of water which means we had lots of distance and plenty of privacy. Lovely anchorage tho lots of houses.

Sat we crossed over to Smith, managing to make it to Smith Point in light winds, then finally giving up and firing up motor in order to make it across shipping channel. Learned that Smith Island Marina attempt failed (family health issues?) and tho there are slips right at the big restaurant, they lack any facilities at all. That said, the current restaurant managers offered the slip for the night free of charge, which turned out to be quite nice. Very interesting to watch the steady stream of crabbers pulling up to buy-boat tied up at dock 2 slips over from us. We also later learned that the (new) owners of the bakery nearby have full service facilities and are trying to develop that biz. We opted to grab some cake there, but stay where we were, which we were glad for as two other larger sailboats fully loaded with people showed up later in day (and headed to bakery docks). Once the last ferry left at 4pm, we had the dock entirely to ourselves

Left Smith before 7am Sun thinking the 40+nm passage would take us a while. By 8, winds were fresh and good for a broad reach which with help from tide, helped us see 7kts (GPS) - which on a 20' 6000lb+ boat, is positively flying! Even putting in first reef and dialing-in jib to 100% didn't make a diff. We clocked 14-18kt winds with a couple of gust to 20 in proximity to Smith Point light. Waves were substantial but no real cross-chop so the sail was actually very pleasant. Things changed dramatically nearing mouth of Rapp, where it got confused and fickle. We flogged a bit trying to run downwind /upriver until things smoothed out closer to the bridge.

All in all a lovely outing. Thanks all who advised on Smith/Wicomico anchorages...
Sounds like a great time. Good SOG for your boat even with a current assist. The confusion of seas at river entrances and exits common where currents run into each other and the wind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

post #384 of 423 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

We had a great 4 day weekend

Lots of good sailing in better than forecast wind.
35 miles to Oxford....14 more up San Domingo Creek to St Micheals back door. ...28 to the Wye......and 26 back to home. 103 nm.......

Winds on Sunday were fresh at 18-20. Reefed main full jib
JoCoSailor likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #385 of 423 Old 1 Week Ago

We also had a great sailing weekend. Wind forecasts were all wrong.

We didn't go far as we had our 8 year old granddaughter with us. We sailed the Rapp and Corratoman and had two nights on the hook. Stayed overnight in Urbanna which offered some good ice cream and a round of miniature golf thanks to the free trolley.

Sunday had us at the sand bar in the eastern branch of the Corratoman. It's a popular party spot for boaters and is generally family friendly with lots of kids having a great time in the water. It's just a happy place. It is certainly a big plus that there were no nettles. We are so fortunate to be able to share these days with at least one of our grandkids.

This morning we put the boat up with some wraps around the sails and solar panel and folded up the bimini. Also added a few dock lines. Looks like next week could be set and a little windy.

Sailing included a very lazy downwind sail up the river under headsail alone and a sporty trip downriver and close hauled the next morning. It seems to me that on the Rapp we can have pretty brisk winds without a lot of big wave action. I used to keep the boat in the Potomac and good breezes often brought uncomfortable waves.
post #386 of 423 Old 1 Week Ago

This season has been SO much better than last year. I can only think of one hot, miserable day that we couldn't sail (Aug 18). For those of us restricted to weekends, a lot of this is luck involving which good days happen to fall on a Saturday or Sunday. But it looks like the luck has been with us this year.

A lot has been said of the unusually large "dead zone" in the Bay this year (located in deeper waters than where we are). But up north of the bridge, where we are, I have noticed only a few dead fish here and there. In past years we had some pretty big fish kills in August, with dozens of fish in a concentrated area. So, my unscientific study suggests that fish health has been a little better this year - though I have no idea why, since high water temps certainly would seem to favor high algae activity and depleted oxygen. Maybe the better wind is mixing things up a bit, leading to better oxygenation.

More good news: Looks like the mid-upper Bay is no longer in Dorian's cone of uncertainty. However, this only means the eye is less likely to pass through us. We still could see pretty high water and high winds, especially as the storm weakens and thus grows larger as it moves north.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #387 of 423 Old 1 Week Ago

With no wind being forecast for the weekend, we decided to sit Saturday out and go to the pool. Holiday weekends are hard for us because more than 18-24 hours at anchor at our kids’ ages is difficult and we didn’t want to pay $2.50-3.50/foot holiday rate to be in a marina one of the two nights. Sunday really didn’t have much wind, but we decided to head out anyway, and we motored up to Worton Creek. Dropped the hook in the outer anchorage to keep the breeze flowing through the boat.

We launched the dinghy and gave our new (to us) propane outboard its first extended run. It performed beautifully and one canister got us about 4.5 miles. Sunday afternoon we checked out the beach on the north side of the outer anchorage and the sandbar on the northside of the inner creek anchorage. Monday morning we checked out the mooring field in the inner creek and the beach on the south side of the outer creek. The kids had a lot of fun on our beach adventures and it was great to find some off-the-boat entertainment for them.

Late Monday morning we headed back in the 15 knot breeze. We sailed close hauled over to the norther tip of Poole’s Island, tacked back across to near the Fairlee Creek entrance, and then tacked again and were able to make it all the way back to the Patapsco on a single close-hauled tack. Wish I could be back out there today as it looks like another beautiful day.
post #388 of 423 Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
We had a great 4 day weekend

Lots of good sailing in better than forecast wind.
35 miles to Oxford....14 more up San Domingo Creek to St Micheals back door. ...28 to the Wye......and 26 back to home. 103 nm.......

Winds on Sunday were fresh at 18-20. Reefed main full jib
You were likely anchored near the HHSA Fleet that was in San Domingo Sat and Sun nights.

We opted for the "front door" and had an epic sail from West River all the way to St. Mikes on Saturday. Once we entered the Bay from WR, it was a beam reach to Bloody Point. After Bloody Point it was close hauled and I thought it would be a multi tack effort to get to the Miles but the wind gradually clocked so we made it all the way to the Miles River on the same tack. Once we turned down the Miles it was 4 or maybe 5 gybes to honor the marks. When we got to St Michaels, I wasn't too happy with the anchoring situation due to the crowd, deepish water, exposure and sustained high wind, so we opted to cross over to Leeds Creek where we were one of 2 boats and far more protected from wind and wave action. We became a featured attraction of the double decker tour boat from CBMM when they drove right up to us as I was grilling dinner. I could hear the guide explaining that people anchored out overnight and cooked on their boats. lol

Sunday AM we crossed back over and found a suitable place to anchor that kept us clear of the channel and not too distant from it at the same time and took the water taxi to met a few of the HHSA folks in town for Lunch. We really like Foxy's and stopped by to begin our visit with a Bloody Mary, but opted to try Limoncello for Lunch. I had a panini and my wife had a seafood pasta dish with shrimp and scallops over egg noodles and both were really good.

We had planned to have a last drink at Foxy's on the way back to the boat but it was crazy busy, and we opted to try Lighthouse which was nice also. Got to talk the guitarist/singer and found out he commuted from South River to the Lighthouse gig in a 16' runabout. Said it saved a ton of time vs driving and he often opts for the boat for Eastern shore shows.

Monday, it was dead upwind out of the Miles, and we opted to skip tacking out of Eastern Bay as well. At Bloody Point I compromised with my laziness and rolled out the jib along with the iron gennie and rolled back to West River at around 7 knots.

A really nice relaxing weekend where we rolled with every issue and challenge with no drama.

PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36
post #389 of 423 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoSailor View Post
You were likely anchored near the HHSA Fleet that was in San Domingo Sat and Sun nights.

We opted for the "front door" and had an epic sail from West River all the way to St. Mikes on Saturday. Once we entered the Bay from WR, it was a beam reach to Bloody Point. After Bloody Point it was close hauled and I thought it would be a multi tack effort to get to the Miles but the wind gradually clocked so we made it all the way to the Miles River on the same tack. Once we turned down the Miles it was 4 or maybe 5 gybes to honor the marks. When we got to St Michaels, I wasn't too happy with the anchoring situation due to the crowd, deepish water, exposure and sustained high wind, so we opted to cross over to Leeds Creek where we were one of 2 boats and far more protected from wind and wave action. We became a featured attraction of the double decker tour boat from CBMM when they drove right up to us as I was grilling dinner. I could hear the guide explaining that people anchored out overnight and cooked on their boats. lol

Sunday AM we crossed back over and found a suitable place to anchor that kept us clear of the channel and not too distant from it at the same time and took the water taxi to met a few of the HHSA folks in town for Lunch. We really like Foxy's and stopped by to begin our visit with a Bloody Mary, but opted to try Limoncello for Lunch. I had a panini and my wife had a seafood pasta dish with shrimp and scallops over egg noodles and both were really good.

We had planned to have a last drink at Foxy's on the way back to the boat but it was crazy busy, and we opted to try Lighthouse which was nice also. Got to talk the guitarist/singer and found out he commuted from South River to the Lighthouse gig in a 16' runabout. Said it saved a ton of time vs driving and he often opts for the boat for Eastern shore shows.

Monday, it was dead upwind out of the Miles, and we opted to skip tacking out of Eastern Bay as well. At Bloody Point I compromised with my laziness and rolled out the jib along with the iron gennie and rolled back to West River at around 7 knots.

A really nice relaxing weekend where we rolled with every issue and challenge with no drama.

I think we saw you while we did rhe three tacks it took us to go down Eastern Bay to Bloody Point on Monday. I distinctly saw a C36 but wasn’t within 1 mile. We struggle with our furler after we passed Bloody Point as it jammed when we went to unfurl from @25 to 135. What a PIA����������

Yes we saw the HHSA in San Domingo Creek, and in fact stopped and chatted with one of them on our dinghy ride. We were anchored at San Somingo 3 which is the Cove right where you turn to go into the anchorage.
We find it less crowded there ( we were the only boat) plus we got a nice breeze from both directions as the winds clocked from N to East.

Funny we were in Leeds for the first time the weekend before. The entrance being so narrow must freak most people out. The dinghy ride a cross the miles from there is only 2.5 miles.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #390 of 423 Old 1 Week Ago
Daniel - Norsea 27

Marina my boat is at was bought out last year. New management is now saying no more DIY. Now, looking for another place to put the boat where I can work on it. I'm next to Herrington Harbor North, but that's a bit expensive for me. Just wanted to see what other options there are.
Thanks.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in