2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 165Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 423 Old 01-05-2019 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
This thread is unfair! What about all us "non-Chessie" sailors?
Lol....there are threads for them

It's just the Chessie bunch has a lot of active posters and sailors
Very active thread year after year.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 423 Old 01-08-2019

Went down to the boat on Sunday. Trying to take advantage of relatively warm days to work on interior projects. Finished ripping out the old sanitation hoses for the aft head. Nasty job. Got the new hoses fed through and just need to trim to length and finish up the connections. I decided to use Raritan Saniflex hose. It's very flexible, very easy to work with and supposed to be very resistant to odor permeation. We'll see!

s/v Spindrift
Beneteau Oceanis 400
formerly Lippincott 30
post #33 of 423 Old 01-21-2019
Sailor

Has anyone heard from Gary Travelin easy been a few months since he has post
ed???
peterlsmith likes this.

post #34 of 423 Old 01-22-2019
Yamsailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Lol....there are threads for them

It's just the Chessie bunch has a lot of active posters and sailors
Very active thread year after year.
Not to mention the Chesapeake Bay is Americas Sailing Capital.....Let the arguments begin....

Sail Your Story!

post #35 of 423 Old 01-22-2019 Thread Starter

We've visited Newport with Haleakula many times. Even though I am an ardent Chessie person and been accused by a banned poster on here as being a part of the "Chesapeake Posse", I have to think Newport is the east coast as at capital of sailing. Annapokis has the best sailboat show hands down, but when you visit that RI Harbor and see the many 5 spreader masts, 12 meter boats racing daily and look at the various ports of call, it's hard to argue. Plus the town, shops and facilities for sailing are incredible. Hosting the Americas Cup all those years with it's great einf too.

We love to sail both areas, LI Sound/ Newport/ Massacheuettes,.....and the many gunkhole spots on our Chessapeake. No need to have a best...they are both top notch.
Jeff356 likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #36 of 423 Old 01-23-2019

Around Long Island Regatta

Hello,

I have done the ALIR 2014-2018 and I will be doing it again this year.

I think it's a fun race. It's long enough so that you will experience every type of weather: no wind, too much wind, cold, hot, wet, dry, etc., but you never HAVE to be out of sight of land. Two years ago the start was moved to NY Harbor. That was a great idea and start is really great. It is a challenge to get a good start, get clean air, and avoid the ferries, commercial traffic, and other distractions. Then it's under the Verrazano bridge and into the Atlantic ocean.

Anyway, what else would you like to know? I race on a well set up C&C 35 mark 3. it usually takes us about 36 hours to do the race. We have a good sail inventory and we usually end of flying each sail at some point in the race. We try to have a crew of 6 experienced people. Would you be sailing spinnaker or non spin class? Personally, i would not do it on a non spin boat - it would just take too long. Feel free to ask any questions.

Some Chessie and other thoughts:
-I've been sailing on the Long Island sound since 2003. I plan on retiring in 4-5 years. I would like to move somewhere on the east coast - with a longer sailing season (the season here is really mid May to mid October), lower cost of living, and and active racing and cruising scene.
-I looked at Oriental (too sleepy) and New Bern NC (not good sailing)
-I looked briefly at Gloucester Point VA - also too sleepy, and a little bit at Hampton VA. I think Hampton has promise. Any comments on Hampton VA from a retirement / sailboat racing and cruising perspective?

Thanks,
Barry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor1800 View Post
I'm looking at possibly doing the Around Long Island Regatta this year for the first time. Does anyone have any experience with it? The dates for 2019 have not been posted yet, but it is usually toward the end of July. Part of that decision is if I'll be doing it on my boat, which involves a cruise up and back from Philly or on my brothers boat which is already up in NY but may not be available.

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

post #37 of 423 Old 01-23-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
....Even though I am an ardent Chessie person and been accused by a banned poster on here as being a part of the "Chesapeake Posse",......
"Chesapeake Posse"?!? Sounds like a good excuse for a special burgee or secret signal flag - particularly if a "banned poster" has already weighed in.
Maybe a crab on a field of umber (for times the Conowingo Dam opens) with a "Sailing Capital of the World" legend?
Yamsailor likes this.
post #38 of 423 Old 01-23-2019 Thread Starter

Lol....the burgee idea was passed around . My wife and I used to host a Chessie get together 14 years ago and did it for 7 years. That's where the "posse" started. The get together drew as many as 70 and as few as 50.

The trick was to have a venue someplace where people could anchor , take a slip, or come by car. We were at MYC at the time and it was the perfect place IMHO. After 7 years we tired of organizing it. Others have hosted for a year or two, but never really got the same numbers. I found also the other important factor aside from the venue was the point person had to really lead and pick the date early . The point person needed to really lead it. No time is good for everyone. But picking a date early like soon gave people a chance before they had other commitments.

Quite a few still post here and many of us remain friends and get together and raft up or meet at the Annapolis boat show. The original posse were 4arch, JeeffH, Takefive ( he always came the furthest from NJ) , T37chef, Auspicious, Aa3j , Travelneasy, and Joe Mccartney ( I forgot his boats name) , added on were DonnaF, Gladrags I think, I know I'm missing some I'm sorry. Many made it multiple times. Best part was the commaradiere. Food was good too with Two chefs there. Gary always had music, green coconut margaritas , and homemade kaluah.

Another offshoot was we found out Joe ( who now has passed on) was a professional photographer for the Washington Post and others. Some we of us have avatars with his pictures as we got together on mi see the day on the Severn by Annapolis .He stood on the rte 450 bridge and snapped away as we passed underneath it.
I still have well, over 450 digital photographs of all the boats that day on a stick. That winter we all got together at a Deep Creek, Magothy restaurant for brunch where he handed out large poster size photos of our boats to some of us. Ours is framed under glass and is in our family room still. God bless Joe...

It's funny we all have different personalities on here....mine sometimes biting and abrasive, but I can say we all have basically remained cordial and sometimes even closer. In person our real personas come out vs the internet ones, and many of us get along really well. After all e are all sailors ���������� I think us meeting in person created a bond a a sailing friendsship. What our larger detractor never understood that the "posse" nickname was built from this positive base and we could never all think alike as he insinuated. In additionion we had a common bond and never liked seeing another attacked on here.

SN has been great and I have been lucky as I've met some of the members on here from Long Island, Newport, New Jersry and other places we've traveled up north. I've talked on the phone with others too. Just recently I called SanderO for some advice for our upcoming trip and hope to have a drink/ break bed when we go up there.

This is the best of SN and why I stay here after as one 9,400 posts. I like to post on our travels on the Chesapeake and our dinners. I haven't been a real chef for so Dr k for 20+ years. Listing our adventures gives others and newbie places they might want to visit. M as my are weekend trips, . The food, is a passion for me...just like T37chef. Just because we are on a small boAt doesn't mean you can't make creative stuff. Food also brings people together.

So anyone can be part of the "posse" . Justt have respect. An Dr if someone wants to take the lead on a burger...I'm in. We eliminated the "crab" only and got as far as an outline of the Bay from top to I bottom
T37Chef, ottos and MarkofSeaLife like this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Last edited by chef2sail; 01-23-2019 at 08:49 PM.
post #39 of 423 Old 02-11-2019
Trailer Sailer Moderator

Well, despite the weather we're working with right now, I made today a sailing related day. I drove down to Annapolis to eat at my favorite place there, Miss Shirley's, and to spend some time at Annapolis Performance Sailing. APS - Annapolis Performance Sailing | APS They have a line and rigging sale until mid month, and I needed new lifelines.

I forgot to take a picture of my cheese graters, er, old lifelines, with half the vinyl peeled off. Instead, I'm replacing them with Dyneema. 17 feet each side with an eye on one side and a luggage tag on the other, for $160. I should have them sometime next month when their Dyneema arrives from backorder.

I'll share pics of the new lifelines once they get put on... and by then y'all will have forgotten about this conversation
chef2sail and Rhapsody-NS27 like this.

~ Rezz

S/v DreamWeaver
1980 Laguna Windrose 22
post #40 of 423 Old 02-12-2019
Daniel - Norsea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezz View Post
Well, despite the weather we're working with right now, I made today a sailing related day. I drove down to Annapolis to eat at my favorite place there, Miss Shirley's, and to spend some time at Annapolis Performance Sailing. APS - Annapolis Performance Sailing | APS They have a line and rigging sale until mid month, and I needed new lifelines.

I forgot to take a picture of my cheese graters, er, old lifelines, with half the vinyl peeled off. Instead, I'm replacing them with Dyneema. 17 feet each side with an eye on one side and a luggage tag on the other, for $160. I should have them sometime next month when their Dyneema arrives from backorder.

I'll share pics of the new lifelines once they get put on... and by then y'all will have forgotten about this conversation
Got all my running rigging from APS. I like that store. Have fun replacing them.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in