2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 40 - SailNet Community
 165Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #391 of 423 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post
Marina my boat is at was bought out last year. New management is now saying no more DIY. Now, looking for another place to put the boat where I can work on it. I'm next to Herrington Harbor North, but that's a bit expensive for me. Just wanted to see what other options there are.
Thanks.
I’m in Whitehall Creek. Whitehall Marina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 423 Old 1 Week Ago

Well, I had a boisterous sail across the Bay and back on Saturday. 'Twas a beautiful day.

Question: Can anyone confirm the SeaTow radio check stations on Tilghman Island and/or Annapolis are operational?

Trying to confirm my radio doesn't work worth a [email protected]&!
post #393 of 423 Old 1 Week Ago

As of two months ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by arf145 View Post
Hey, has anyone raised the Annapolis SeaTow radio check channel (27) this season? Or Oxford (26)? I usually can get a response from out in the bay from Herring Bay area, but not this year. Tried both of channels from a friend's boat yesterday with no result either.

Some guy named RhythmDoctor (actually, me) asked the same question a few days ago:

VHF - Transmitting Issue (?) - Page 2 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

It's been down all season, with no notification that I can find anywhere from SeaTow. IMO it's definitely a hazard for them to still be promoting their service while it's out of commission for a long time.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

post #394 of 423 Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I think we saw you while we did rhe three tacks it took us to go down Eastern Bay to Bloody Point on Monday. I distinctly saw a C36 but wasn’t within 1 mile. We struggle with our furler after we passed Bloody Point as it jammed when we went to unfurl from @25 to 135. What a PIA����������

Yes we saw the HHSA in San Domingo Creek, and in fact stopped and chatted with one of them on our dinghy ride. We were anchored at San Somingo 3 which is the Cove right where you turn to go into the anchorage.
We find it less crowded there ( we were the only boat) plus we got a nice breeze from both directions as the winds clocked from N to East.

Funny we were in Leeds for the first time the weekend before. The entrance being so narrow must freak most people out. The dinghy ride a cross the miles from there is only 2.5 miles.
That could have been us. There were two boats I noticed sailing out of Eastern Bay on Port tack that took them well to starboard of my straight, iron genny line.

I was tempted to go to full sail along with them, but tempus fugit, and I needed to get back to get the the boat cleaned up and start getting ready to get back to work.

PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36
post #395 of 423 Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
As of two months ago...
I'll be danged...thanks for posting this.
post #396 of 423 Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Marina my boat is at was bought out last year. New management is now saying no more DIY. Now, looking for another place to put the boat where I can work on it. I'm next to Herrington Harbor North, but that's a bit expensive for me. Just wanted to see what other options there are.
Thanks.
Which marina? I'm also looking in that area and need a place where I can do my own work. Is it all DIY or just some that is prohibited?
post #397 of 423 Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Thanks.
I don't know if they allow DIY, but you can try Galesville Yacht Yard. West River Yacht Harbor is a Condo Marina and the Yacht Yard is co-located. Its our first season and I have no idea of the yards reputation, but I can say that boats (nice ones) come and go. It is not like the place in Deale where boats went to die, before the management change.

PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36
post #398 of 423 Old 1 Week Ago

We loved our first taste of the Chesapeake last fall as we headed south, and we knew we wanted to spend more time here on our next migration south.

We arrived at the Bohemia Bay Yacht Harbor on Labor Day where we spent most of the week keeping a wary eye on Dorian. Yesterday we took off and had a leisurely tack fest out of the Bohemia and a bit down the Bay before the wind died. We are currently in Back Creek on the Sassafrass where we will visit the Mt. Harmon plantation today. Looks like we’re moving to Rock Hall tomorrow. Hopefully we’ll get some wind.

Any suggestions of spots to check out are very welcome. We have to be in Annapolis on the 26th to start working the boat shows for three weeks, so we figured we’ll go down the east shore for now before going north up the west shore. St. Michaels is on the list along with Cambridge, and we were in Solomon’s and Worton Creek (which we loved) last year. We were hoping to make it to Tangier this year but we tend to poke along so I don’t know if we’ll make it that far south before we need to head back towards Annapolis.

Thanks!

"Pegu Club"
1977 Bristol 29.9

post #399 of 423 Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthoops View Post
We loved our first taste of the Chesapeake last fall as we headed south, and we knew we wanted to spend more time here on our next migration south.

We arrived at the Bohemia Bay Yacht Harbor on Labor Day where we spent most of the week keeping a wary eye on Dorian. Yesterday we took off and had a leisurely tack fest out of the Bohemia and a bit down the Bay before the wind died. We are currently in Back Creek on the Sassafrass where we will visit the Mt. Harmon plantation today. Looks like we’re moving to Rock Hall tomorrow. Hopefully we’ll get some wind.

Any suggestions of spots to check out are very welcome. We have to be in Annapolis on the 26th to start working the boat shows for three weeks, so we figured we’ll go down the east shore for now before going north up the west shore. St. Michaels is on the list along with Cambridge, and we were in Solomon’s and Worton Creek (which we loved) last year. We were hoping to make it to Tangier this year but we tend to poke along so I don’t know if we’ll make it that far south before we need to head back towards Annapolis.

Thanks!
You can buy yourself some time by passing Eastern Bay and visiting St. Mikes via Choptank River/San Domingo Creek (aka "The back door"). There is a public dock to tie up the dinghy and you are just a few blocks walk from town. That will shorten the trip to Cambridge, but I'd suggest a stop in Oxford, even if it means skipping Cambridge.

There are some Eastern Shore anchorages south of Choptank, but if Solomon's on the list, you may want to cross over at this point and launch to Tangier from there.

Good Sailing.

PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36
The Following User Says Thank You to PalmettoSailor For This Useful Post:
cthoops (1 Week Ago)
post #400 of 423 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoSailor View Post
You can buy yourself some time by passing Eastern Bay and visiting St. Mikes via Choptank River/San Domingo Creek (aka "The back door"). There is a public dock to tie up the dinghy and you are just a few blocks walk from town. That will shorten the trip to Cambridge, but I'd suggest a stop in Oxford, even if it means skipping Cambridge.

There are some Eastern Shore anchorages south of Choptank, but if Solomon's on the list, you may want to cross over at this point and launch to Tangier from there.

Good Sailing.
Totally agree with Palmetto,

Go up the Choptank to San Domingo to visit St Micheals if you want to visit Cambridge. But definitely stop in Oxford. Stay in St Micheals a couple days so one of them is a visit to the museum which will take a half a day. It’s aell worth it to uunderstand the boat building and the oyster harvesting.

If you decided to do the Eastern Bay route to St Micheals take a day to do the Wye River one of our favorite conglomeration of anchorages as there are at least 10 there. Lots of bald eagles too , everywhere.

A trip to Tangier requires 3 days off the way and to be honest with you will probably be disappointing plus lots of skinny water. Once there there is no real history or anything to do. Before I did that I would travel down to Yorktown, but essentially that’s a week of time ( sailing down and visiting) and back. The place is fascinating and steeped in American history with Williamsburg close by. If you decide to do this contact me.

Remember this time of year approx every three days or so a front will come through with its NW winds.

We will be touring the Chessie at this time, but leaving the 26th till October 10. The scenery is fabulous. We usually only go to the boat show evRey few years.

Feel free to PM me on anchorages/ restaurants/ marinas / provisioning

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
The Following User Says Thank You to chef2sail For This Useful Post:
cthoops (1 Week Ago)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in