2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 41 - SailNet Community
 192Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #401 of 520 Old 09-08-2019
Daniel - Norsea 27
 
Rhapsody-NS27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Me: NoVA Boat: St. Leonard, MD
Posts: 1,247
Thanks: 127
Thanked 60 Times in 54 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchee View Post
Which marina? I'm also looking in that area and need a place where I can do my own work. Is it all DIY or just some that is prohibited?
My boat is at Rockhold Creek Marina. I hear it was bought by the Herrington Harbor folks but leased out to Galahad Marine which is out of North East, MD. Galahad seems more interested in big center console fishing boats and looking to get a brokerage in place at RCM. Seems they don't want any DIY after Oct 31st.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Rhapsody-NS27 For This Useful Post:
scratchee (09-08-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #402 of 520 Old 09-08-2019
Senior Member
 
cthoops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: In the Bahamas.
Posts: 311
Thanks: 23
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Thanks, PalmettoSailor and Chef2Sail. Great suggestion on taking San Domingo and we have now added Oxford to the list.

I’ll be sure to let you know how our travels are going, and won’t hesitate to reach out.

"Pegu Club"
1977 Bristol 29.9

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cthoops is online now  
post #403 of 520 Old 09-08-2019
Senior Member
 
scratchee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Southern Maryland
Posts: 681
Thanks: 17
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post
My boat is at Rockhold Creek Marina.
I was looking right next door at Shipwright. My current plan is to be in a slip in that area for the fall, then get hauled at Herrington North for the winter, where I intend to do some work. Anyone know how Herrington is with DIY?

To answer the original question, Flag Harbor down in Southern Maryland is about 40 minutes drive from Herrington North. If convenient for your home/work situation, the rates are very reasonable (downright cheap, actually) and there are very few restrictions on what you can do to your boat (spraying paint, for example).

The reason I'm moving north for the fall is to have a few months where work and the boat are in the same direction, instead of opposite directions. Also to allow some quiet dinners at anchor like my family likes.
scratchee is online now  
 
post #404 of 520 Old 09-08-2019
Daniel - Norsea 27
 
Rhapsody-NS27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Me: NoVA Boat: St. Leonard, MD
Posts: 1,247
Thanks: 127
Thanked 60 Times in 54 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchee View Post
I was looking right next door at Shipwright. My current plan is to be in a slip in that area for the fall, then get hauled at Herrington North for the winter, where I intend to do some work. Anyone know how Herrington is with DIY?

To answer the original question, Flag Harbor down in Southern Maryland is about 40 minutes drive from Herrington North. If convenient for your home/work situation, the rates are very reasonable (downright cheap, actually) and there are very few restrictions on what you can do to your boat (spraying paint, for example).

The reason I'm moving north for the fall is to have a few months where work and the boat are in the same direction, instead of opposite directions. Also to allow some quiet dinners at anchor like my family likes.
There's a liveaboard at RCM who's talking about heading down to Flag Harbor. Talking with him, looks tempting to try that area. Already takes me 1.5hr to get to Deale, so another 15-20 min or so wouldn't be too bad. Any shops/services available there? I may need some help with my boat, if I can afford it (engine alignment being the big one). Flag Harbor is looking good but for getting help on the boat, I was looking at places north, like Edgewater/Mayo area. Unfortunately, it seems the more North you are, the higher the costs get (part of what makes Flag Harbor tempting).

I know a guy who is at Herrington. I think they're good with DIY for most things. For bottom painting, I see a lot of tarps and plastic coverings to keep things somewhat contained.

I visit my boat on Saturday's, which make it hard to visit shops/offices since they're closed on weekends.
Maybe I'll see you around, if our paths cross.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline  
post #405 of 520 Old 09-08-2019
Daniel - Norsea 27
 
Rhapsody-NS27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Me: NoVA Boat: St. Leonard, MD
Posts: 1,247
Thanks: 127
Thanked 60 Times in 54 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoSailor View Post
I don't know if they allow DIY, but you can try Galesville Yacht Yard. West River Yacht Harbor is a Condo Marina and the Yacht Yard is co-located. Its our first season and I have no idea of the yards reputation, but I can say that boats (nice ones) come and go. It is not like the place in Deale where boats went to die, before the management change.
I was recently looking up Condo Marina's. Interesting concept. I'll take a look. Thanks for the suggestion.

and yes, it does seem some boats are left to die. I have an eye out on one boat, a marieholm 26, that was supposed to be for sale but just sits unused. Last thing I need is another boat. lol. But hopefully it goes to someone who can take care of it.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline  
post #406 of 520 Old 09-09-2019
Senior Member
 
scratchee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Southern Maryland
Posts: 681
Thanks: 17
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post
I was recently looking up Condo Marina's. Interesting concept.
Flag Harbor is a condo marina as well (the slips are all owned, and each slip owner is also a fractional owner of the marina). Judging by the number of empty slips (maybe 20% over the summer?) I'd say there are a bunch of slip owners who would love to have a renter covering the cost of their annual condo fee.

The downside of that area is that there are no services except for the marina itself. I've heard they do good work on the typical boat stuff, but I don't know if there is an engine shop. You should give the marine service operator (John Little) a call at 410-586-1915. He's friendly and helpful.
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.
scratchee is online now  
post #407 of 520 Old 09-09-2019
Junior Member
 
sailnavy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Annapolis area
Posts: 13
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 0
 
Dock
Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Anchored Sat night in the Rhode between Big island and SERC, 1st time I went around to the "far" side. Over a dozen boats in the main anchorage E of the island (nice and big but a little exposed to the N and boat wakes from the marinas on the N shore), but we were the only folks on the W side, save a few others others a mile north up in the creek. Wonderful to have the place to ourselves once the few dads pulling kids on tubes left- had almost 270deg view with zero lights or human structures, only the herons. Saw 7.5ft all through the center portion at low (~1ft assist from Dorian- water was high all around on Sat). Closer in was still 5ft until you got close to the marshes. Woke up Sunday morning to the sound of horns and lots of people... a triathlon from SERC's dock. Glad we didn't anchor closer in, or we would've been one of the course markers! One of my favorite spots thus far, and only 15nm from home. Wife is getting used to the "so it took us 4 hours to get to where we can be in 20min" and she's smiling about it.
SERC is a treasure- love hiking and paddling around there.
4arch and Rhapsody-NS27 like this.
sailnavy is online now  
post #408 of 520 Old 09-09-2019
Senior Member
 
4arch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 929
Thanks: 2
Thanked 33 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 11
 
Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

The Rhode is definitely a favorite anchorage. We love going ashore to explore SERC. I assume a lot of people don't realize how far back behind the big island and up Sellman Creek there is adequate water depth for anchoring.

s/v Spindrift
Beneteau Oceanis 400
formerly Lippincott 30
4arch is online now  
post #409 of 520 Old 09-09-2019
thinking of this...
 
JSL3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chesapeake Bay, South River
Posts: 224
Thanks: 4
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 13
 
Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailnavy View Post
Anchored Sat night in the Rhode between Big island and SERC, 1st time I went around to the "far" side. Over a dozen boats in the main anchorage E of the island (nice and big but a little exposed to the N and boat wakes from the marinas on the N shore), but we were the only folks on the W side, save a few others others a mile north up in the creek. Wonderful to have the place to ourselves once the few dads pulling kids on tubes left- had almost 270deg view with zero lights or human structures, only the herons. Saw 7.5ft all through the center portion at low (~1ft assist from Dorian- water was high all around on Sat). Closer in was still 5ft until you got close to the marshes. Woke up Sunday morning to the sound of horns and lots of people... a triathlon from SERC's dock. Glad we didn't anchor closer in, or we would've been one of the course markers! One of my favorite spots thus far, and only 15nm from home. Wife is getting used to the "so it took us 4 hours to get to where we can be in 20min" and she's smiling about it.
SERC is a treasure- love hiking and paddling around there.
I was anchored to the East Side of Big Island on Sat PM and Sat Night. When I arrived, I was the only boat. Come sundown, 13 others. LOL
I still love this spot. I kayaked around "your" side and I'm sure I saw you. Here's a quick video of a dead calm Sunday sunrise on the Rhode River: https://youtu.be/cfT-IQgHZBg
Attached Thumbnails
thubnail.GH013419.00_00_15_28.Still001-LRE!.jpg  

~Jim
Ramble On
1986 Pearson 28-2
JSL3 is offline  
post #410 of 520 Old 09-09-2019
thinking of this...
 
JSL3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chesapeake Bay, South River
Posts: 224
Thanks: 4
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 13
 
Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post
There's a liveaboard at RCM who's talking about heading down to Flag Harbor. Talking with him, looks tempting to try that area. Already takes me 1.5hr to get to Deale, so another 15-20 min or so wouldn't be too bad. Any shops/services available there? I may need some help with my boat, if I can afford it (engine alignment being the big one). Flag Harbor is looking good but for getting help on the boat, I was looking at places north, like Edgewater/Mayo area. Unfortunately, it seems the more North you are, the higher the costs get (part of what makes Flag Harbor tempting).

I know a guy who is at Herrington. I think they're good with DIY for most things. For bottom painting, I see a lot of tarps and plastic coverings to keep things somewhat contained.

I visit my boat on Saturday's, which make it hard to visit shops/offices since they're closed on weekends.
Maybe I'll see you around, if our paths cross.
You mention, Edgewater/Mayo. If you are looking for a small, no frills marina, consider: Pocahontas Marina
Pocahontas Marina on the South River and takes about 5 minutes of motoring from your slip until you can set your sails. I've been here off and on as a customer since 2007. Left briefly when the marina changed hands but returned soon after I temporarily left. Slip fee is good for location. Water is included in slip fee. Metered electric (not included in slip fee). No amenities other than 2 rundown bathrooms (i.e. no pool). Has a travel lift. DIY is allowed but no outside contractors. Land storage doesn't cost extra, it is included in your 12 month lease. Hauling, blocking and launching incurs a fee. The marina manager is a wooden boat expert and if you need help, is good with engine and mechanical fixes, maintenance and even engine installs. There are 2 liveaboards in the Marina (which I like).
I recently took a few drone photos of the marina and shared the photos with the Manager. Here's a few photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/L1oYmRUouF1PV8Rp8
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.

~Jim
Ramble On
1986 Pearson 28-2
JSL3 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
World’s First 3D Printed Sailboat Hull Ready for Mini Transat Ocean Race 2019 - All 3 NewsReader News Feeds 0 12-24-2018 01:50 AM
2019 Boat of the Year Specifications and Key Sailboat Comparison Metrics - Cruising W NewsReader News Feeds 1 12-13-2018 08:48 AM
2019 Budget includes request to shutdown WWV and WWVH Rhapsody-NS27 News Feeds 11 08-23-2018 01:26 PM
Sailing season? What sailing season? Moonfish22 General Discussion (sailing related) 0 02-16-2009 05:56 AM
Is the Chesapeake sailing season beginning? teshannon Cruising & Liveaboard Forum 41 12-23-2007 01:44 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome