2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 45 - SailNet Community
 192Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #441 of 520 Old 10-01-2019

Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Thanks for the info

I all the years I’ve been on the Bay we have never stopped there by boat. I have lots of friends who keep their boats in both North and South. I have been to their massive storage yard in winter to help survey or look at boats.

They seem to have a first class operation, but it’s mega marina in size. We are leaning to going to the North.
North is harder to get to, but better options for dining. Dockside is at the marina and an easy walk from North or Shipwright. Skippers Pier is arguably a bit better, but you'll have to get a ride or dinghy over.

Uma Sushi is also good if you are in the mood, just plan on being there a while.

If you can get a ride Jesse Jays is outstanding.

https://www.jessejays.com
chef2sail likes this.

PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #442 of 520 Old 10-01-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew1711 View Post
Congrats on the new boat. I don't have a recommendation for a delivery skipper but we'll find you one - there are plenty based in Annapolis.

This is a two day trip if it's done straight through, three or four if he has to stop to sleep. I would budget about $1,000 to get it done, less if you can go as crew.
Unless its way, way up the Potomac, it shouldn't be more than a two day trip for a paid delivery captain.

I've done the return from St Mary's to HHN in a long day many times. If you can get the boat down the mouth of the Potomac to say Point Lookout Marina or Coan River Marina you should be able to make HHN in a long day, likely meaning a pre dawn departure this time of year.

PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36

Last edited by PalmettoSailor; 10-01-2019 at 09:27 PM.
post #443 of 520 Old 10-02-2019 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoSailor View Post
North is harder to get to, but better options for dining. Dockside is at the marina and an easy walk from North or Shipwright. Skippers Pier is arguably a bit better, but you'll have to get a ride or dinghy over.

Uma Sushi is also good if you are in the mood, just plan on being there a while.

If you can get a ride Jesse Jays is outstanding.

https://www.jessejays.com
Thanks for the recommendations.

Harrington Harbor is a very nice place. Used the marina gas grills to have a dinner of filet, potato salad, and mozerella salad on a picnic table overlooking the marina.

Kim’s Key Lime pie from Solomon’s for dessert

Tomorrow it’s Skippers as we can dinghy over. Glad we are in a marina for the 90+ day tomorrow. We are just going to sleep late hang around the boat , do a few boat projects , go to the pool, take a nap , and stay cool tomorrow.

Thursday we resume with a sail to Rock Hall

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

post #444 of 520 Old 10-02-2019
Daniel - Norsea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyJunk View Post
I just purchased a Hunter 34 (yay!) and am now deciding when/how I'm going to get it from the upper Potomac, where it is now, to Deale. Does anyone have a recommendation for a delivery captain in the area? Also, any ideas on how much something like that might cost would be useful. I might not have time to move it myself before the end of October, when the current slip runs out.

Thanks!
Congrats!
Hope she serves you well.
Have my boat in Deale, for now.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
post #445 of 520 Old 10-03-2019

Dock

In skiing we'd call it a "sleeper powder day"- that day you head out just 'cuz, and unexpectedly end up in a perfect fresh snowfall, often by yourself.
That was yesterday, sans precip. Wife & I both finished work early, it was so damn hot, and the boat had not been paid a visit in over a week and a half. 12ish from the WNW with nice flat water made it a no-brainer. Enough clouds to keep the sun from roasting too much- strange to feel hot with such a low sun angle now. Damn that breeze felt like a furnace! Unusual for here, given that the NW quadrant usually brings us cooler air.
Beautiful 3-hour sail through a virtually empty Annapolis area, on a hullspeed reach past Thomas Pt, across a few miles, and then back up. Dinner at Cantler's at sunset. Wife's new to sailing this season, and has mostly only experienced the usual Chesapeake single-digit windspeeds. Yesterday was a very nice way to get her more used to steeper heel angles, more weather helm, and having to play the main.
post #446 of 520 Old 10-03-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoSailor View Post
Unless its way, way up the Potomac, it shouldn't be more than a two day trip for a paid delivery captain.

I've done the return from St Mary's to HHN in a long day many times. If you can get the boat down the mouth of the Potomac to say Point Lookout Marina or Coan River Marina you should be able to make HHN in a long day, likely meaning a pre dawn departure this time of year.
Right, but the PP said Upper Potomac. There are only two places I know of that can take a sail boat below the Capitol Beltway - Ft. Washington and Occoquan, 90 and 70 miles north of Point Lookout, respectively.
post #447 of 520 Old 10-05-2019

About to go out with my family+parents, but wondering about wind forecast. 10 kt, gusts to 21 kt? The former no problem, but will we get bounced around by the gusts? Should I use smaller headsail? Reef? Guess we'll see...
post #448 of 520 Old 10-05-2019 Thread Starter

The answer is yes if you can’t furl. Or put a reef in main and shake it out if you don’t need it

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #449 of 520 Old 10-05-2019 Thread Starter

We are tied up at North Point Marina in Rock Hall . Hoping to meet up with 4 Arch and his crew of three girls this afternoon. We never have ever taken slips on this side of Rock Hall before. In fact we usually are anchored in Swan Creek but you can’t come ashore with a dinghy over there unless you pay.

North Point is a really nice marina. Especially the owners. Protected from all angles except the very end of the pier at the T head where we are, but only wind coming in the breakwater will get you. Great grounds here and tremendous views of the Bay. Grill areas perfect with Weber Grills and a separate one enclose with a screened in area. Easy walk to Harbor Shack restaurant but far enough away you don’t hear it at the marina so there is peace and quiet. Last night was the first we ever went to Harbor Schack and I gotta say it’s a great place.

We’ve been to Waterman's many times, but not again after coming to Harbor Shack. Servers very friendly, lots of locals we noticed , tons of seating, the food much cheaper and better quality. Great variety too. Fish Tacos if you like them done 3 was and two cooking methods. Regular of blackened style mahi, tuna or cod. Their other American Mexican food looked good too. Whole section of taco, salads quesadillas. They had steamed creams too. We decided on a staple.....crab cakes. Easy to compare with others. Their crab cakes we jumbo and lump...no shells....little filler,.....not doused in Old Bay . 6 oz . You could order 1 or 2. The cream of crab had major crab meat and wasn’t pasty with uncooked roux or thickened with cornstarch. You could get a side salad as one of the two sides which very few places allow. I looked at other restaurants like Pearl and Wolf but were rather high priced for the area and pretty basic. Oh yes if you like fufu coffee Java place looks interesting.

Donna tooted the tram into town yesterday a nice feature, i went later. We had gone through most of our provisions for the week and wanted some fresh fruit. The best part of town....the grocery store......the open air market ( shoe fly pie) ...the ice cream parlor, and the fabric store. The rest of town very much a town whose economy is based on the area marinas and crabbers.

As far as keeping a boat here. Rock Hall has always been the most popular spot for people from Pa and New Jersey. It has some impressive Marinas with outstanding services , number 1 being Harbor Haven. The rates are less than Annapolis. Great access to Chester, Magothy, Patapsco and even Worton. Access to the Miles though the Kent Narrows, Severn and West Rivers. 10 miles to the Bay Bridge. Winds are good for north of the Bridge .

Marinas on the Swan Creek side of Rock Hall are better protected. The open breakwater into the Harbor allows wave action through almost the entire basin except where the new Harbor Haven Marina has started up. Winds from the SW which are predominately the summer winds come shooting through the breakwater. Through binoculars we were watching boats and masts bobbing a lot across the way. There is a free town bulkhead but unless you got good fender boards I wouldn’t stay there.

Nice stopover for a day or two.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #450 of 520 Old 10-07-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandium View Post
About to go out with my family+parents, but wondering about wind forecast. 10 kt, gusts to 21 kt? The former no problem, but will we get bounced around by the gusts? Should I use smaller headsail? Reef? Guess we'll see...
Didn't see what part of bay you are located in but assuming it was similar conditions to Rapp' , i hope you were conservative. We did the Turkey Shoot and it was *honkin* both Sat and Sun!

Our rule is if it looks like wind or gusts in teens, we start with a single reefed main and keep a little jib rolled in. All lines are fed aft, so very easy to let either out. A lot harder to do the opposite with loaded sails. We also find that keeping the boat around 15deg or so, the performance is not really any less than if we go for more canvas and dramatic lean. Of course diff hull shapes react differently to lean and your waterline might want more than ours...

s/v Miracle
PSC Flicka 20

Last edited by Totuma; 10-07-2019 at 06:33 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Totuma For This Useful Post:
Scandium (10-07-2019)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in