2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 46 - SailNet Community
 192Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #451 of 518 Old 10-07-2019

Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totuma View Post
Didn't see what part of bay you are located in but assuming it was similar conditions to Rapp' , i hope you were conservative. We did the Turkey Shoot and it was *honkin* both Sat and Sun!

Our rule is if it looks like wind or gusts in teens, we start with a single reefed main and keep a little jib rolled in. All lines are fed aft, so very easy to let either out. A lot harder to do the opposite with loaded sails. We also find that keeping the boat around 15deg or so, the performance is not really any less than if we go for more canvas and dramatic lean. Of course diff hull shapes react differently to lean and your waterline might want more than ours...
Just south of Baltimore, sounds like it was a bit calmer up here saturday. Didn't really notice much of these supposed 22 kt gusts. There were gusts, but main problem seemed it changed the wind direction, not strength. Lots of wind indicator spinning.. Have hank-on headsail, so started with a 100%, hoisting just that first. But little action so pulled up full main without problems. Wind and waves died down a bit around noon. I only have a 23 ft so steep waves are my main annoyance, also because it's very uncomfortable for my family.

I do have a single line reef for the main, so not a huge deal to do. Though I just installed it and haven't really tested, lol. Hank on I prefer to go conservative, since changing that is obviously a huge hassle! When I did stand in the bow in those waves it was pretty wobbly. Wouldn't want to be replacing sail up there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 518 Old 10-11-2019
H34 'Spirit'

Update on my Hunter 34 "should I stay or should I go" Potomac vs. Deale decision. Wife and I have decided to winter it where it is, on the Potomac at Washington Sailing Marina. (Which is, yes, "way up the Potomac.") My plan is to take a week off or so in springtime to move it around to Deale. I'm currently deciding between Herrington North and Shipwright, which is owned by Herrington Harbour now and is just next door. I'll be heading to the Annapolis show on Sunday and have a chat with a few marinas and make a decision. They all seem to have "boat show discounts" until the end of the month which can save me a bit of money.
post #453 of 518 Old 10-12-2019 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Anchored behind Cacaway watching the geese circus on a gorgeous evening. Sunset and moonrise coincide (full moon) . Squadrons of geese coming down landing in formation , bit ewhen the land feet first 1/2 of them tumble and squawk. This is happening right beside the boat. Two years ago one hit the mast and landed on the deck stunned. We always come here in October to watch this. The Canadian geese winter on the Chesapeake as it’s the first large water body that doesn’t freeze.

Dinner was grilled mahi, grilled portobello mushrooms with Gorgonzola cheese and Caesar Salad. Grilled pears for dessert.

Cacaway is one of my five favorite anchorages anywhere.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

post #454 of 518 Old 10-13-2019

We motor-sailed down to Annapolis this afternoon. Lots of showers along the way, a couple of them pretty heavy. We were fortunate to grab the one mooring ball that was open. This evening we met up with Dave Skolnick for dinner. It was great catching up with him after not crossing paths for a couple of years. Tomorrow we’ll attend the final day of the Boat Show and help tear down the Lin and Larry Pardey booth at the end of the day. There’s nothing I urgently need to buy, aside from maybe discussing a replacement lens for my trapezoidal V-berth hatch at the Lewmar booth. But we always enjoy wandering around and seeing the boats and gadgets.
Donna_F and oldlaxer1 like this.

Last edited by TakeFive; 10-13-2019 at 11:56 PM.
post #455 of 518 Old 10-16-2019

I brought all my cockpit canvas in on Saturday afternoon for repairs. Went sailing Sunday and the skies opened up. Anyone who doesn't believe Murphy was a sailor take heed.

To the boat show on Monday. Bought a new hat and a five dollar hot dog. It was a gorgeous day and I was surprised how thin the crowd was. I guess not everyone got Columbus Day off from work.

Enjoyed the afternoon back out on the water. Best time a year for sailing, that is for sure.
post #456 of 518 Old 4 Weeks Ago

My 2019 season is rapidly drawing to a close. Haulout is tentatively scheduled for high tide on Monday, Oct. 28, with a 2-day trip from Rock Hall to haulout destination on Oct 26-27 or 27-28. My buddy Sean, whose boat in Hull, MA has been featured in numerous YouTube episodes of "Wicked Salty" (he's the Ernest Hemingway lookalike captain), is coming down to join me for the trip. I'm hoping for acceptable weather on two of the three days, though I'm always leery of getting locked into a schedule.

I'm flying home from Milwaukee Saturday morning and heading straight for the boat, hopefully with a noon departure from the dock. I spent a couple hours today emptying the dock box and prepping the boat so we can leave the dock as soon as we arrive at the marina.

I doubt we'll make Chesapeake City before dark, but hopefully will get close enough to the canal, which is lighted. Just in case we decide we need to drop anchor before getting there, I'm scouting out places that might be protected from a northwest wind. Are any of you familiar with Rogue's Harbor on the Elk River?

https://activecaptain.garmin.com/en-US/pois/543988

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #457 of 518 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
My 2019 season is rapidly drawing to a close. Haulout is tentatively scheduled for high tide on Monday, Oct. 28, with a 2-day trip from Rock Hall to haulout destination on Oct 26-27 or 27-28. My buddy Sean, whose boat in Hull, MA has been featured in numerous YouTube episodes of "Wicked Salty" (he's the Ernest Hemingway lookalike captain), is coming down to join me for the trip. I'm hoping for acceptable weather on two of the three days, though I'm always leery of getting locked into a schedule.

I'm flying home from Milwaukee Saturday morning and heading straight for the boat, hopefully with a noon departure from the dock. I spent a couple hours today emptying the dock box and prepping the boat so we can leave the dock as soon as we arrive at the marina.

I doubt we'll make Chesapeake City before dark, but hopefully will get close enough to the canal, which is lighted. Just in case we decide we need to drop anchor before getting there, I'm scouting out places that might be protected from a northwest wind. Are any of you familiar with Rogue's Harbor on the Elk River?

https://activecaptain.garmin.com/en-US/pois/543988
pretty shallow there , never seen boats anchored there. Also close to channel.

We once anchored just south of Jacobs nose just outside the yacht clubs mooring field when A T Storm was imminent. That’s just south of Rouges Cove area.

You could also sneak up to the north shore opposite Veasy Cove on the Bohemia. Near Locust Point Marina and the Yacht CLub. We done that and you be protected from N and NW plus out of the big ship wash

Maybe better off continuing to to Chesapeake City as it is well lit after Town Point as is CC.

Expect to see northern boats going south anchored there . We were just in CC and lots of Canadian boats were there.
Expect

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #458 of 518 Old 4 Weeks Ago

I did make it in one day from Knapps Narrows to Chesapeake City a few years ago. The sunset on a moonless night as I approached Turkey Point, but the shipping channel is well marked so I stayed just outside the channel to stay clear of the well lighted ships, buoy to buoy then into the well lighted canal.

The canal ebb current was against me, but the flood would be with me just before sunrise, so I took a nap in Chesapeake City and continued through the canal to the Delaware and with the flood current to Essington PA arriving before noon.

1970 Havsfidra 20 by Fisksatra
On the Delaware River at Fox Grove Marina Essington PA
post #459 of 518 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Last year at this time I had a great ride on a Melges 24 returning the boat from Baltimore to Gibson Island. I apparently had one too many beers on Saturday night at the after race party because I told my friend that I'd help him move it back again this year. (He and his crew won the Baltimore Harbor Cup again this year). Yesterday was not the kind of day to spend on a 24ft open cockpit boat but we made the best of it. Under jib alone we were seeing 11kts as we surfed down the bigger waves. Thank God for quality foul weather gear!

s/v Harmony
1973 Tartan 30 #186
Anchorage Marina, Baltimore MD
post #460 of 518 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Haul-out at Essington PA (Fox Grove Marina) schedule for a 7.5ft high tide at 1:30 on Monday October 28.

Only a handful of day sails this year.

This is the earliest haul-out I have had for at least 10 years. I usually haul-out late November.

This years work schedule has been good for the wallet but not good for sailing and November is going to leave me with no time for sailing.

Semi-retired is not the same as retired. I have promised myself that 2020 will be part time teaching and no new projects, so I will be free to sail long weekends April, May and September, October with longer sails June, July and August.

So how do others handle the transition from work to retirement. Not picking up the phone, changing the phone number, moving with no forwarding address, learning to say NO?

1970 Havsfidra 20 by Fisksatra
On the Delaware River at Fox Grove Marina Essington PA

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in