2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 49 - SailNet Community
 192Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #481 of 520 Old 10-28-2019

Dock
Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Had a great daysail on the Patapsco R. last Thursday. One of those perfect fall days, one of those perfect sails, that remind you why you have a boat. I hope you all won't mind me blowing my own horn for a moment; I have an article in the current issue of Good Old Boat ? The sailing magazine for the rest of us.. First time in a boating magazine so I'm excited.

Jim & Jacquelyn Eaton
s/v Pendragon
Anchorage Marina
Baltimore, MD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 520 Old 10-28-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragon35 View Post
I have an article in the current issue of Good Old Boat..
I lost my Good Old Boat ball cap on Saturday. I was raising the main and it either blew or was knocked off. My hands were full and I didn't even turn around to look, just thought, "Well, that hat's gone."
post #483 of 520 Old 10-28-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragon35 View Post
Had a great daysail on the Patapsco R. last Thursday. One of those perfect fall days, one of those perfect sails, that remind you why you have a boat. I hope you all won't mind me blowing my own horn for a moment; I have an article in the current issue of Good Old Boat ? The sailing magazine for the rest of us.. First time in a boating magazine so I'm excited.
Was that your story about setting out from Rock Creek? I used to be on Rock Creek and recognized the picture and locale.

post #484 of 520 Old 10-28-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchee View Post
I lost my Good Old Boat ball cap on Saturday. I was raising the main and it either blew or was knocked off. My hands were full and I didn't even turn around to look, just thought, "Well, that hat's gone."
Had the same experience last summer with a 30 year old Tilley hat. I was off Bodkin creek, there was a freighter uncomfortably close, the furler was jammed and I was trying to get the main down. Hat took off and I thought, "Hat overboard drill?—no"
scratchee likes this.

Jim & Jacquelyn Eaton
s/v Pendragon
Anchorage Marina
Baltimore, MD
post #485 of 520 Old 10-28-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchee View Post
Was that your story about setting out from Rock Creek? I used to be on Rock Creek and recognized the picture and locale.
Yes it is.

Jim & Jacquelyn Eaton
s/v Pendragon
Anchorage Marina
Baltimore, MD
The Following User Says Thank You to Pendragon35 For This Useful Post:
scratchee (10-28-2019)
post #486 of 520 Old 10-29-2019

When we sailed out of Deltaville, I routinely hauled every other year and layed up in the water the other year. Since moving the boat to mid-bay we have hauled every year so its been a few years since we've stayed in the water. Down there snow was rare as was freezing around the dock.

I believe my current slip is far enough from shore that its unlikely to freeze so we are thinking we'll winterize in the slip this year.

Curious what precautions those of you that stay in the water over winter take that I should be preparing for.

Thanks.

PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36
post #487 of 520 Old 10-29-2019

I stay in the slip every other winter. I drain the pressurized water system and take the pump home. And I change the motor oil and filter.

I double up the dock lines and take the sails home.

I try to visit the boat once a month and run the engine a bit. Winterizing the Yanmar is really simple so running the engine is no big deal. If we're lucky and have a nice day I'll take her out and motor around.

I'm on the Rappahanock.
post #488 of 520 Old 10-29-2019 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

I’m on WhitehallCreek just north of Annapolis but below the bridge.

We have a bubbler and the marina provides some also. We are the last slip in the creek with 10 ft under us so it rarely freezes. We pull the boat every 3 years. Prefer leaving it in die to less strain on the chain plates. Bottom paint lasts three years.

We winterize like you would if on dry land. Engine, raw water side, oil change , pull the impeller, blow out the water system then run antifreeze through it,. Make sure primary and secondary bilge pump work on float switches. Make sure electric shore power is working. I cover both the boat with canvas , two sections so water doesn’t freeze in delicate places. Ensure cockpit is covered somscuppers remain ice free and clear and no snow accumulates there.

We have made a frame for the canvas ( now 15 years old with a few patches, ) so the snow sloughs off. I do check on her every 2-3 weeks and so does our marina owner. Tie back halyards with bungees. Double lines and have forward and back spring lines.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
The Following User Says Thank You to chef2sail For This Useful Post:
PalmettoSailor (10-29-2019)
post #489 of 520 Old 10-29-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I’m on WhitehallCreek just north of Annapolis but below the bridge.

We have a bubbler and the marina provides some also. We are the last slip in the creek with 10 ft under us so it rarely freezes. We pull the boat every 3 years. Prefer leaving it in die to less strain on the chain plates. Bottom paint lasts three years.

We winterize like you would if on dry land. Engine, raw water side, oil change , pull the impeller, blow out the water system then run antifreeze through it,. Make sure primary and secondary bilge pump work on float switches. Make sure electric shore power is working. I cover both the boat with canvas , two sections so water doesn’t freeze in delicate places. Ensure cockpit is covered somscuppers remain ice free and clear and no snow accumulates there.

We have made a frame for the canvas ( now 15 years old with a few patches, ) so the snow sloughs off. I do check on her every 2-3 weeks and so does our marina owner. Tie back halyards with bungees. Double lines and have forward and back spring lines.
Shore power with the charger on 24/7?

Otherwise, I pretty much planned do all you mention. Had been considering if I'd need some sort of heat source near the through hulls. Thinking like a light bulb with a thermocube to turn it on when temps are freezing.

PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36
post #490 of 520 Old 10-29-2019 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

yes.

I know the issues. I am just concerned if I had a need for the bilge pumps to run continuously they would draw the batteries Dow.
PalmettoSailor likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in