2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 165Likes
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 423 Old 02-12-2019
Daniel - Norsea 27
 
Rhapsody-NS27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Me: VA Boat: Deale, MD
Posts: 1,240
Thanks: 127
Thanked 60 Times in 54 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Went to visit my boat on Saturday. While I was moving around inside, things started shaking like it was on the trailer again. Got out, checked the stands, and found the mid and aft stands were loose. There is a motor boat on one side of my boat and another sailboat on the other side. Out of curiosity, I checked the stands on the neighboring sailboat and it too had loose stands mid and aft. Tightened all of them and went on about my day. Called and told the marina yesterday that they might want to check all the stands in the yard. Glad I found out about it. Would hate to hear my boat fell over.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
Rhapsody-NS27 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 423 Old 02-12-2019
Senior Member
 
TakeFive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Swarthmore, PA
Posts: 4,957
Thanks: 22
Thanked 143 Times in 132 Posts
Rep Power: 10
 
Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post
Went to visit my boat on Saturday. While I was moving around inside, things started shaking like it was on the trailer again. Got out, checked the stands, and found the mid and aft stands were loose. There is a motor boat on one side of my boat and another sailboat on the other side. Out of curiosity, I checked the stands on the neighboring sailboat and it too had loose stands mid and aft. Tightened all of them and went on about my day. Called and told the marina yesterday that they might want to check all the stands in the yard. Glad I found out about it. Would hate to hear my boat fell over.
This sounds very odd. Are the stands chained together properly? Are the stands on gravel? If so, do they have plywood underneath? Stands don't just lower themselves unless there's some underlying support issue.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
TakeFive is offline  
post #43 of 423 Old 02-12-2019
Daniel - Norsea 27
 
Rhapsody-NS27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Me: VA Boat: Deale, MD
Posts: 1,240
Thanks: 127
Thanked 60 Times in 54 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
This sounds very odd. Are the stands chained together properly? Are the stands on gravel? If so, do they have plywood underneath? Stands don't just lower themselves unless there's some underlying support issue.
Yes they're chained together. They are on gravel, but no plywood under the stands. The stands appear to have sunk into the gravel slightly.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
Rhapsody-NS27 is online now  
 
post #44 of 423 Old 02-12-2019
Senior Member
 
TakeFive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Swarthmore, PA
Posts: 4,957
Thanks: 22
Thanked 143 Times in 132 Posts
Rep Power: 10
 
Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post
Yes they're chained together. They are on gravel, but no plywood under the stands. The stands appear to have sunk into the gravel slightly.
Tell your yard to get their act together. This is a SERIOUS deficiency in their practice. It should be obvious to those guys.

I'm in a DIY yard, so I have to learn these things myself. Go to Home Depot, buy a 4'x4' sheet of plywood, and use their saw to make 16 1'x1' squares. I try to go there during slow times, because when busy they don't like to do that many cuts.

Your rear stands are load bearing, so you can't insert the plywood. Your stern will sink down over time. (Get the plywood under them next fall.) But your side stands can usually be removed in calm weather, and re-inserted on top of the plywood, without any danger. Of course, your yard will freak out if you do this yourself, unless you're in a DIY yard like me.

Without the plywood, your boat will "rock" a little at a time, gradually loosening the side stands over time, unless they're sitting on plywood.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
TakeFive is offline  
post #45 of 423 Old 02-13-2019
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 1,243
Thanks: 0
Thanked 23 Times in 22 Posts
Rep Power: 13
 
Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

I check my stands every time I go to the boat in the winter. Front stands are on harder packed gravel and rarely need tightening, rear stands are on less densely packed gravel and do need tightening after the heavy rain or extreme freeze thaw cycles we have been having.

The tightening is usually less than a 1/4 turn, but the rear plywood pads are now completely covered.

I also check water drainage on the cockpit floor for side to side level.
Ulladh is offline  
post #46 of 423 Old 02-13-2019
Daniel - Norsea 27
 
Rhapsody-NS27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Me: VA Boat: Deale, MD
Posts: 1,240
Thanks: 127
Thanked 60 Times in 54 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Tell your yard to get their act together. This is a SERIOUS deficiency in their practice. It should be obvious to those guys.

I'm in a DIY yard, so I have to learn these things myself. Go to Home Depot, buy a 4'x4' sheet of plywood, and use their saw to make 16 1'x1' squares. I try to go there during slow times, because when busy they don't like to do that many cuts.

Your rear stands are load bearing, so you can't insert the plywood. Your stern will sink down over time. (Get the plywood under them next fall.) But your side stands can usually be removed in calm weather, and re-inserted on top of the plywood, without any danger. Of course, your yard will freak out if you do this yourself, unless you're in a DIY yard like me.

Without the plywood, your boat will "rock" a little at a time, gradually loosening the side stands over time, unless they're sitting on plywood.
Thanks for the info. I am at a DIY yard but I've never seen this marina put pads under the stands. The marina got bought out by the Harrington Harbor folks and managed by someone else who only seem interested in power boats. Only wood I've seen used here is under the keel. Maybe it would have been better to keep the boat on its trailer a little longer.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
Rhapsody-NS27 is online now  
post #47 of 423 Old 02-13-2019
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Wayne, PA
Posts: 389
Thanks: 9
Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts
Rep Power: 10
 
Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

We've had some extremes in weather, going from deep cold to 50 degrees quickly, some melting snow and a lot of rain since last summer. All of that comes into play in the storage yard. If wind is working against the hull a tiny bit of motion over an extended time can also slightly loosen boat stands.
Most of the boats in our DIY yard are on hard packed stone where boats have been stored for years. Almost everybody uses plywood squares under the stands, those who don't usually figure it out or are told by season two. Whatever the preparations most winters the ground and the boats move a bit.
We each check our own stands and usually the neighboring boats every couple weeks and it is not unusual to have to tighten or loosen stands. Not a big deal, just part of life in a boatyard.
As Ulladh mentioned, most of the time it is a 1/4 turn or so, but with lots of rain or quick freezes combined with not checking for a few weeks it might be more.
john walsh likes this.
Dfok is offline  
post #48 of 423 Old 02-13-2019
Senior Member
 
TakeFive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Swarthmore, PA
Posts: 4,957
Thanks: 22
Thanked 143 Times in 132 Posts
Rep Power: 10
 
Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post
...Maybe it would have been better to keep the boat on its trailer a little longer.
Welcome to the joys of boat stands! My yard also thinks that sailboats are a nuisance, and they don't understand how to do things. The "blowboaters" have to stick together and help each other out. We even sit together at our own table at the monthly members' meetings.
Rhapsody-NS27 and john walsh like this.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
TakeFive is offline  
post #49 of 423 Old 02-14-2019
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Deale, MD
Posts: 375
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post
Thanks for the info. I am at a DIY yard but I've never seen this marina put pads under the stands. The marina got bought out by the Harrington Harbor folks and managed by someone else who only seem interested in power boats. Only wood I've seen used here is under the keel. Maybe it would have been better to keep the boat on its trailer a little longer.
I've been at Herrington North for five seasons now. They have been very fair and accommodating. I've been particularly impressed with their environmental stewardship.
Captain Canuck is offline  
post #50 of 423 Old 02-14-2019
Member
 
PatMc57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Kent Island, MD
Posts: 50
Thanks: 5
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 4
 
Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Finally took the plunge, my 1st...Bought a Dufour 31 in a slip on Kent Island on New Year's Day. It's an older boat but the price was right...just need elbow grease and some parts. I've been going down every other weekend to do the work that I can. Am going down this weekend to sleep aboard for a 2 day work schedule. While it may be cold, I can't wait! Sleeping bag City!
I'll not be a pain to all of you..you've all been fantastically helpful and supportive over the years that I've been around...but am sure that I'm going to need some sage advice.
The benefit of having chartered so many different boats for 30ish years is that I get a real feel for the differences...I have a good feeling about this one...
Wish me luck...am in.
Pat
PatMc57 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 10 (3 members and 7 guests)
dss30 , GeorgiaTerrapin , RonTyson
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
World’s First 3D Printed Sailboat Hull Ready for Mini Transat Ocean Race 2019 - All 3 NewsReader News Feeds 0 12-24-2018 12:50 AM
2019 Boat of the Year Specifications and Key Sailboat Comparison Metrics - Cruising W NewsReader News Feeds 1 12-13-2018 07:48 AM
2019 Budget includes request to shutdown WWV and WWVH Rhapsody-NS27 News Feeds 11 08-23-2018 12:26 PM
Sailing season? What sailing season? Moonfish22 General Discussion (sailing related) 0 02-16-2009 04:56 AM
Is the Chesapeake sailing season beginning? teshannon Cruising & Liveaboard Forum 41 12-23-2007 12:44 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome