2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 51 - SailNet Community
 192Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #501 of 520 Old 11-04-2019 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
Speedy recovery on the knee surgery... It may be in my future too.
Thanks Jeff....

Looking forward to meetin again when we travel north to the LI Sound next year😄😄😄

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #502 of 520 Old 11-04-2019

Boat’s on the hard, so season’s over. Now trying to get up the nerve to replace antifreeze on the freshwater side (nervous about air pockets), then oil change and winterization of raw water, potable water, and A/C, and set up winter cover.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #503 of 520 Old 11-04-2019

Rick it will be below freezing Friday night at Philadelphia International

I left a few inches of water in my bilge last winter which trapped and damaged the bilge pump when it froze. This year I pumped and sponged out most of the few inches of rainwater left in the bilge, and dumped in about a cup of pine-sol to make it smell better.

1970 Havsfidra 20 by Fisksatra
On the Delaware River at Fox Grove Marina Essington PA

post #504 of 520 Old 11-04-2019

I saw that forecast. I’m in Milwaukee this week, but am planning to head straight to the boat after landing Friday. Bilge is dry, but need to drain muffler and a few other things. I’ll also stick in a couple drop lights for the night.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #505 of 520 Old 11-05-2019

Keeping an eye on the weather, it now looks to be in the 20s for four nights next week. Ugh. Looks like I'll need to ditch my plans to flush cooling system, replace antifreeze, and even have to postpone my normal oil change until next spring. I'll need to get antifreeze in everything I can Friday night or I'll regret it.

It seems like winter is coming on much sooner than past years.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA

post #506 of 520 Old 11-06-2019
H34 'Spirit'

Dock

I'm planning to move our boat next Spring from the upper Potomac in Alexandria, to Deale, and was wondering if anyone has some advice on the trip.

From what I can tell, it seems like it should take about 3-5 days depending on weather and our pace. A couple of itineraries that might work are:

Alexandria > Port Tobacco > Coles Point > Solomons > Deale
- or -
Alexandria > Colonial Beach > St. Mary's > Solomons > Deale

Any ideas or recommendations are very welcome. For example, I've heard the mouth of the Potomac can be rough. The timeframe is going to be late March, so it will probably also be pretty cold still. TIA

S/V Spirit
1983 Hunter 34 SD
Alexandria VA | Deale, MD
post #507 of 520 Old 11-06-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyJunk View Post
I'm planning to move our boat next Spring from the upper Potomac in Alexandria, to Deale, and was wondering if anyone has some advice on the trip.

From what I can tell, it seems like it should take about 3-5 days depending on weather and our pace. A couple of itineraries that might work are:

Alexandria > Port Tobacco > Coles Point > Solomons > Deale
- or -
Alexandria > Colonial Beach > St. Mary's > Solomons > Deale

Any ideas or recommendations are very welcome. For example, I've heard the mouth of the Potomac can be rough. The timeframe is going to be late March, so it will probably also be pretty cold still. TIA

Book it being cold. Water temps in March in the high 30s.
Port Tobacco, St Mary’s, Solomon’s, Deal doable.

Each leg approx 30-50 miles. You will need to look for protection from where ever winds are blowing. Staying north shore of Potomac will help so you don’t have to cross the Potomac Mouth.

To consider:
1- don’t fight current on Potomac if possible. Play them.
2- you don’t have a weather window day. You will face at least one day with northern component winds as fronts move through
3- March is noreeaster month
4- make sure your engine is well checked out
5- you are in cold water for 4-5 days, dress appropriately and meals to
Warm you up
6- assuming you are anchoring...will be cold, if not. Heck on wether facilities are open already

It has been my experience March is a cold month with April being a transition month. I would delay till April. Some of the biggest snow storms and nor’easters occur in March. If you plan it for then be flexible. To get 4-5 days good weather straight in March is not realistic. . Maybe break up the trip into two weekends.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #508 of 520 Old 11-06-2019 Thread Starter

Lastly of course if you have help you could go through the night and do it in one shot.

80 miles to St Mary’s River - 50 Port Tobacco
60 miles to Deal- 40 to Solomon’s

Count on averaging 5 knots.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Last edited by chef2sail; 11-06-2019 at 10:57 AM.
post #509 of 520 Old 11-07-2019

Dock

Highly recommend April vs March. Good probability of 60deg days and fair weather, even early April. March on the Bay is pretty ugly; it really does become an entirely different body of water across the span of just a week or 2. I did Deltaville-Annapolis the 1st weekend of April this year, and had a great delivery. If you can afford any flexibility, definitely bias towards April.

I've also done Colonial Beach-Annapolis- that's 2 days, so make it 3 for you? 5 seems excessive, weather notwithstanding.
My day 1 is 30nm CB to Pt Lookout or Jutland creek. Ride the ebb all the way down. Wouldn't bother with the time to go up to St Mary's, esp if just for a sleepstop. You're coming from ~Alexandria so add a day, play the current both days otherwise you have no choice but to fight it for at least part.
Day 2 65nm Pt Lookout-Annapolis. Underway before sunrise, arrive at sunset. Peeling off at Deale shortens that by almost 4H, so you can arrive for early cocktails. Stopping at Solomons only makes sense if you have to hit your destination mid-day vs late afternoon.
post #510 of 520 Old 11-07-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailnavy View Post
Highly recommend April vs March. Good probability of 60deg days and fair weather, even early April. March on the Bay is pretty ugly; it really does become an entirely different body of water across the span of just a week or 2. I did Deltaville-Annapolis the 1st weekend of April this year, and had a great delivery. If you can afford any flexibility, definitely bias towards April.

I've also done Colonial Beach-Annapolis- that's 2 days, so make it 3 for you? 5 seems excessive, weather notwithstanding.
My day 1 is 30nm CB to Pt Lookout or Jutland creek. Ride the ebb all the way down. Wouldn't bother with the time to go up to St Mary's, esp if just for a sleepstop. You're coming from ~Alexandria so add a day, play the current both days otherwise you have no choice but to fight it for at least part.
Day 2 65nm Pt Lookout-Annapolis. Underway before sunrise, arrive at sunset. Peeling off at Deale shortens that by almost 4H, so you can arrive for early cocktails. Stopping at Solomons only makes sense if you have to hit your destination mid-day vs late afternoon.
84 miles to Pt Lookout is not doable. Even with a 2 knot assist for 6 hours as you’ll fight the current then. That’s why I suggested St Mary or Smith Creek even. Figure averaging 5 knots. Bite it off in chunks you can. Course if you have help and can go at night....you can do it more quickly.

Doing the Potomac from Alexandria is far different than Deltaville.

The river in spring will also have lots of debris. I wouldn’t go at night.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in