SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chesapeake Bay (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/)
-   -   2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/327588-2019-sailing-season-chesapeake.html)

sailnavy 11-07-2019 11:58 AM

Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

"I've also done Colonial Beach-Annapolis- that's 2 days, so make it 3 for you? 5 seems excessive, weather notwithstanding.
My day 1 is 30nm CB to Pt Lookout or Jutland creek. Ride the ebb all the way down. Wouldn't bother with the time to go up to St Mary's, esp if just for a sleepstop. You're coming from ~Alexandria so add a day, play the current both days otherwise you have no choice but to fight it for at least part."

chef2sail 11-07-2019 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailnavy (Post 2051635234)
"I've also done Colonial Beach-Annapolis- that's 2 days, so make it 3 for you? 5 seems excessive, weather notwithstanding.
My day 1 is 30nm CB to Pt Lookout or Jutland creek. Ride the ebb all the way down. Wouldn't bother with the time to go up to St Mary's, esp if just for a sleepstop. You're coming from ~Alexandria so add a day, play the current both days otherwise you have no choice but to fight it for at least part."

We agree then. March weather sucks.

Lucky to get 3 good days in a row.

If he can get to the Potomac Mouth in 2 days and get good weather., he could make Deal in one long 50 mile day. Solomonís is only a duck in place.

I suggested St Maryís or Smith Creek as both are easy to find a place out of the wind in a dying afternoon sun.

Being realistic 3-4 days if no issues and good wealthier.
4 -5 days , planning for contingencies.

FunkyJunk 11-10-2019 02:32 PM

Thanks guys. I can probably delay to April. I don’t relish that weather either. I appreciate the advice.

FunkyJunk 11-11-2019 10:38 AM

Now that I have a chance to look more closely at y'all's suggestions, I think the plan will be to go in mid to late April.

Day 1: Alexandria to Colonial Beach
Day 2: Colonial Beach to Point Lookout
Day 3: Point Lookout to Deale

We have friends in Colonial Beach we might be able to stay with when we stop there.

Thanks again for the info. I look forward to running into some of you once we get out on the Bay next year. :svoilier:

Pendragon35 11-14-2019 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TakeFive (Post 2051634558)
Boatís on the hard, so seasonís over. Now trying to get up the nerve to replace antifreeze on the freshwater side (nervous about air pockets), then oil change and winterization of raw water, potable water, and A/C, and set up winter cover.

Me too. Got the jib off yesterday and was supposed to do the rest on Friday but that got canceled when my wife got ill. So going down Monday and hopefully getting it all done. I got the jib off, gotta get the engine winterized and the water tank emptied.

PalmettoSailor 11-16-2019 09:58 AM

Palmetto Moon is fully winterized. Staying in the water this year. Systems winterized, canvas off and boom tent up. Will visit every other week or so to keep the batteries topped and will likely let the charger run when we get to prolonged runs of below freezing weather.

SanderO 11-16-2019 01:48 PM

chef2sail 11-16-2019 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanderO (Post 2051636978)

Thanks for the link.

Most of us know the disappearance of the migrating islands , especially in the area under the Potomac River.

Smith Island a more important piece of land with a heritage and culture of its own disappears under water a little more each year. There has been a raging debate for years on the worthwhileness of supporting the island with dredge materials.

There are some islands which have increased in size further north with dredge materials from th main shipping channel to Baltimore which in Poplar Island off Tilghman Island and Hart Miller Island north of the Patapsco.

Pendragon35 12-01-2019 09:17 AM

Pendragon is winterized and set up for another down season. Making a list of things to do over the winter. Between the heat and a minor surgery, it was a very small sailing season this year. Next spring I hope to get going early, get out more. Itís still Thanksgiving weekend, so it seems an appropriate time to say thank you to all of you on this list. You are an amazing source of support, good humor, advice and wisdom. Hold fast!

chef2sail 12-01-2019 11:53 AM

Jim,

Look forward to meeting up in 2020 on the Bay. In the spring letís set up a weekend to do it.
Iím hoping my rehab continues on it upward arc.
Have a great winter😃😃😃😃