2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 8 - SailNet Community
 165Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 427 Old 03-18-2019
Administrator

Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Yesterday was a beautiful sailing day on the Chesapeake. Decent (albiet shifty) breezes, lots of sunshine and almost no one around. I went sailing with a fellow who had never sailed before. He did great for a first time out. It was neat to see his joy as the things that he had read about turned real in front of his very eyes.

Jeff
chef2sail, oysterman23 and dss30 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 03-19-2019 at 05:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 427 Old 03-21-2019

Do you guys have recommendations for boat rental for new sailors in the Annapolis/Deale/Galesville area? My wife and I took the 101 course last fall and would like to rent (or join a club) to get our feet wet on something like a Catalina 22 or 25. The eventual goal is to buy a boat, but probably not for the first year or so.

I'm hoping you folks could point me to the right place to look for this sort of thing. I live in Springfield, VA and I've begun looking into the sailing clubs on the Potomac, but I'd honestly rather do my sailing on the Bay. I'm open to joining a sailing club if it's not *super* expensive. Also, single-day rentals would be good.

Thanks for any info you can provide!
post #73 of 427 Old 03-21-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyJunk View Post
Do you guys have recommendations for boat rental for new sailors in the Annapolis/Deale/Galesville area? My wife and I took the 101 course last fall and would like to rent (or join a club) to get our feet wet on something like a Catalina 22 or 25. The eventual goal is to buy a boat, but probably not for the first year or so.

I'm hoping you folks could point me to the right place to look for this sort of thing. I live in Springfield, VA and I've begun looking into the sailing clubs on the Potomac, but I'd honestly rather do my sailing on the Bay. I'm open to joining a sailing club if it's not *super* expensive. Also, single-day rentals would be good.

Thanks for any info you can provide!
https://thesailingacademy.com

The owner was in our Sailing Association. Really nice family.

PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36

post #74 of 427 Old 03-22-2019

Thanks, PalmettoSailor. I'm looking into it!
post #75 of 427 Old 03-22-2019 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Tommorow our sailing season begins

Looking to continue with our Spring commissioning tomorrow and fire up the hibernating Yanmar.
Plan on staying tomorrow night. Probably anchored out on one of the Severn Creeks or Mill Creek/ Whitehalll Creek.

Grilled Rockfish is on the menu with dirty rice and grilled pears with gorgonzola cheese.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #76 of 427 Old 03-23-2019 Thread Starter

Decided to stay tied to the dock. Winds gusting over 40 all afternoon. Didn't want leaving the slip for the first time this year to turn into a spectacle.

Nice and cozy inside. So we grilled the fish , but decided to eat below, which is a a rarity for us. Just good to be back on Haleakula
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #77 of 427 Old 03-24-2019 Thread Starter

First sail of the season in the books. Beautiful out today. Very light wind . The water temp showed at 45 degrees in the middle of the Bay and 50 in our Creek. The breeze off the water required sailing gloves, sweatshirt, wind pants and good windbreaker. Haleakula showed no issues.

Was a great day for hot chocolate underway
4arch and ThereYouAre like this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #78 of 427 Old 03-24-2019

Haven Charters out of Swan Creek by Rock Hall.
David and Jacki do a great job with a varied selection. Reasonable and Reliable. I've sailed with them for 20+ yrs..until I bought aboat.
Pat
post #79 of 427 Old 03-25-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
First sail of the season in the books. Beautiful out today. Very light wind . The water temp showed at 45 degrees in the middle of the Bay and 50 in our Creek. The breeze off the water required sailing gloves, sweatshirt, wind pants and good windbreaker. Haleakula showed no issues.

Was a great day for hot chocolate underway
It was a glorious day indeed. We lubed 3 old Grogo's, put on new reg #'s (she's only 20' LOA, so no CG reg), waxed the hull, replumbed galley sink (removed the jerry-rigged nest of valves PO had installed in attempt to use galley pump for salt water rinse), and finished removal of 'shelf' PO had installed in v-berth locker.

The only sailing we could have done was on the hard, but I did sit in cockpit during a break, and made little swishing/sailing sounds :-)
chef2sail, oldlaxer1 and 4arch like this.
post #80 of 427 Old 03-27-2019

I know I am new to this post, but am very happy to say Monday was the first run out on the new (to me) boat. It was a bit light on the winds, but was able to do a few miles.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190325_123216785_PORTRAIT.jpg  
ThereYouAre likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in