2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 9 - SailNet Community
 131Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 306 Old 03-27-2019

Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Looks as thought I will be joining you guys for the 2019 season at least.

My job needs me out in Martinsburg Wv for at least the next 3 months. Near term, I am flying out next week and getting rolling with the job and using off days to do a little recon on a place to stash the sailboat then once I get that figured, I'll fly home and trailer it out from Kansas City for the duration to give myself something productive to do on my off days.

Just wrapped up some engine repairs out here and have everything back installed and mostly aligned, just need to double check everything now that she's sitting in the water and not on the trailer.

Also need to do the usual pre-trip trailer overhaul work. Repack all the bearings, replace any worn brake bits, check the everything. I usually trailer a decent distance every year so it's in pretty good nick, I just need to make sure it stays that way.

It will be nice to be in an area that has marine services. There is nothing here where I live and nothing to speak of any of up the portions of Lake Superior I generally travel out to. It would be a delight to get my boat up on some hard stands and vigorously attack my swing keel and potentially get some custom canvas work done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 306 Old 03-28-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyJunk View Post
Do you guys have recommendations for boat rental for new sailors in the Annapolis/Deale/Galesville area? My wife and I took the 101 course last fall and would like to rent (or join a club) to get our feet wet on something like a Catalina 22 or 25. The eventual goal is to buy a boat, but probably not for the first year or so.

I'm hoping you folks could point me to the right place to look for this sort of thing. I live in Springfield, VA and I've begun looking into the sailing clubs on the Potomac, but I'd honestly rather do my sailing on the Bay. I'm open to joining a sailing club if it's not *super* expensive. Also, single-day rentals would be good.

Thanks for any info you can provide!
I don't blame you for preferring the bay to the Potomac. That being said SCOW is a good club at very reasonable prices and a short drive from Springfield.

-Hugh

No matter where you go, ....
B&B Spindrift 11N
Past Adventures:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #83 of 306 Old 03-30-2019 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Haleakulaon the loose today with a nice sailing day. Temps in the high 60s. A few shakedown tacks across the Bay to Hemmingways and we are currently anchored on Mill Creek for the night near Orchard Marina.

Dinner is Grilled filet mignon , grilled portabellas marinated in aged balsamic vinegar , chopped salad with gorgonzola and grilled pears and petite butter potatoes ( on the grill of course). Accompanied by a David Bruce Russian River Valley Pinot noir.

So peaceful and relaxing to get out

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

post #84 of 306 Old 03-31-2019 Thread Starter

Quiet night at anchor followed by the passage of the cold front. Motored home the 1/2 hour rather than tack back and forth in 40 knot gusts. Always challenging putting Haleakuka into her slip without ping ponging in during these kind of conditions, but we seemed to get it right today.

Just in time as Gale warnings just stared,
4arch likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #85 of 306 Old 04-01-2019

We were supposed to splash this weekend but it was too windy for the travel lift. They will try again one day this week. The yard did manage to use a genie lift to replace my windex, which had fallen victim to a winter bird attack. Maybe we'll get out for our first sail (probably not overnight though) this weekend. Forecast is showing it warming back up as the week goes on. Saturday was beautiful.

s/v Spindrift
Beneteau Oceanis 400
formerly Lippincott 30
post #86 of 306 Old 04-01-2019

I'm in the middle of the sand/paint process. It was finally warm enough this weekend to start sanding. Khaleesea had a lot of barnacle damage this year (as did many others, by the looks of the yard), so the process is slower than it might otherwise be.

About 75% through the electric conversion process too. I can't wait to drop her in the water and see how far I can get on a full charge.

My wife is looking to redo our decals. The front runner is a full length dragon spitting lightning.
post #87 of 306 Old 04-01-2019

Family issues over the past several months lead us to choose not to renew the lease on our slip for this season and we have been unsure if we would launch at all. Now things have settled down some, so we started looking for a slip. Unfortunately we were not really happy with the offerings at our current marina, or or previous one just across the creek, so we continued looking and found an opportunity that is perfect for our current situation on West River in a condo slip. Since we haven't had a minute to think about boat prep, it works fine with us that the slip isn't available until May 1.

We've decided to give it a try this season, and see how we like it. Will take some time off in April to sand a paint the bottom and wax the hull, then we'll be headed a bit further north for the season. Thinking we could be anchored out on Rhode River on Friday nights from this new location, and Annapolis, Chester River and Rock Hall will be easy options for weekend cruises. Our favorites off the Choptank will be a bit further, but Eastern Bay will be about the same, if not closer. Really, just happy to be thinking we'll have some time on the boat this season after contemplating staying stacked the whole season.
4arch likes this.

PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36
post #88 of 306 Old 04-01-2019

The West is a pretty ideal location for having lots of weekend overnight choices. Marinas there will be on the top of our list when we eventually decide to try keeping our boat on a different part of the bay.

s/v Spindrift
Beneteau Oceanis 400
formerly Lippincott 30
post #89 of 306 Old 04-01-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4arch View Post
We were supposed to splash this weekend but it was too windy for the travel lift. They will try again one day this week. The yard did manage to use a genie lift to replace my windex, which had fallen victim to a winter bird attack. Maybe we'll get out for our first sail (probably not overnight though) this weekend. Forecast is showing it warming back up as the week goes on. Saturday was beautiful.
Great ...we will see you soon on the Bay😃😃😃

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #90 of 306 Old 04-01-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoSailor View Post
Family issues over the past several months lead us to choose not to renew the lease on our slip for this season and we have been unsure if we would launch at all. Now things have settled down some, so we started looking for a slip. Unfortunately we were not really happy with the offerings at our current marina, or or previous one just across the creek, so we continued looking and found an opportunity that is perfect for our current situation on West River in a condo slip. Since we haven't had a minute to think about boat prep, it works fine with us that the slip isn't available until May 1.

We've decided to give it a try this season, and see how we like it. Will take some time off in April to sand a paint the bottom and wax the hull, then we'll be headed a bit further north for the season. Thinking we could be anchored out on Rhode River on Friday nights from this new location, and Annapolis, Chester River and Rock Hall will be easy options for weekend cruises. Our favorites off the Choptank will be a bit further, but Eastern Bay will be about the same, if not closer. Really, just happy to be thinking we'll have some time on the boat this season after contemplating staying stacked the whole season.
Good to hear.

Don't forget the Wye and it's many gunkholes.
And for that matter the Magothy
If you see us give us a shout.
We frequent the same spots you mentioned

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in