SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chesapeake Bay (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/)
-   -   2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/327588-2019-sailing-season-chesapeake.html)

chef2sail 12-27-2018 07:58 PM

2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Can the mods make this thread a sticky as they always do please

It's a new year (almost) and the most posted in Sailnet continuous thread lives on. Happy New Year, good health and safet travels to all😄🤘🌪

Our plans this year include a 3 week trip at the end May to the Long Island Sound and the Mystic, Greenport, Sag Harbor and Newport areas. Hopefully we meet up with some native SN up there ( SanderO are you listening)

Also a traditional 13 day mid September excursion to the the southern Chesapeake reaches , including Yorktown, Hampton Roads, Northern Neck of Virginia stops

Anyone planning any interesting excursionions.

Rezz 12-27-2018 08:43 PM

Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

I feel so scandalous posting in this thread five days early! :)

I don't have anything planned for 2019 yet, except a soft reservation for the Pirates and Wenches weekend. I want to get out more this year, and maybe try a solo trip or two. Oh, and more boat work. New plex ports, and new paint on the inside.

ImGary01 12-28-2018 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chef2sail (Post 2051572102)
Anyone planning any interesting excursionions.

Interesting contraction of two words: excursion and onions. Mixing travel and food...I like it. :grin

Our next "excursionions" is up to Annapolis to check out a couple of Catalina 42 MK's and a Catalina 40. Unless there are compelling reasons not to consider these models (I know..This may be opening a rabbit hole so please be kind).

Hoping to find our first cruiser (we have been dingy racers) and use it extensively around The Bay for the next two years after which I get to retire and then cruise the east coast.

chef2sail 12-28-2018 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImGary01 (Post 2051572234)
Interesting contraction of two words: excursion and onions. Mixing travel and food...I like it. :grin

Our next "excursionions" is up to Annapolis to check out a couple of Catalina 42 MK's and a Catalina 40. Unless there are compelling reasons not to consider these models (I know..This may be opening a rabbit hole so please be kind).

Hoping to find our first cruiser (we have been dingy racers) and use it extensively around The Bay for the next two years after which I get to retire and then cruise the east coast.

Good luck on your search. Do you have a good surveyor?

ImGary01 12-29-2018 12:26 PM

Hey Chef,

We do not have a surveyor yet. We are absolutely open to suggestions since we don't know anyone in the business. Feel free to IM me if you don't want to put names out there in public.

chef2sail 12-29-2018 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImGary01 (Post 2051572498)
Hey Chef,

We do not have a surveyor yet. We are absolutely open to suggestions since we don't know anyone in the business. Feel free to IM me if you don't want to put names out there in public.

Tarn Kelsey
David Manning
Derek Rhymes

I have no business relationships with any of them

Rhapsody-NS27 12-30-2018 08:06 AM

Here's hoping my refit allows me to launch sometime this year.

Maybe I can get out on the dinghy.

ImGary01 12-31-2018 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chef2sail (Post 2051572590)
Tarn Kelsey
David Manning
Derek Rhymes

I have no business relationships with any of them

Thanx Chef. I will perform an internet search to see if I can get their contact info.

TakeFive 12-31-2018 01:26 PM

I have no problem with the models you're interested in, so long as you use them in the way that they were intended. Coastal cruisers with occasional hops to offshore islands. There may be better boats for crossing oceans, but that would come at the cost of interior space and some creature comforts. For ocean crossing, you'd want more storage and less space, and hull forms that deal with ocean conditions. There's lots of debate here about that.

Be sure you know what you're getting into with maintenance and upkeep. Going from dinghy sailing to 40-42' is a big hop. The issue isn't whether you can sail safety - that's the easy part. It's all about maintenance and storage expense.

It's important to consider a surveyor's style when selecting one. Do you want to follow him around during the survey and learn from him, or leave him alone and let him do his thing by himself. Some surveyors are less patient with inquisitive owners.

Curt Sarratt did a good job for me 3 years ago, and knows Catalinas very well.

I had very good recommendations for and phone conversations with Bob Skord and Robert Noyce, but both had scheduling conflicts that prevented me from considering them.

Chef's suggestions are all on my list of good people from 3 years ago.

ImGary01 12-31-2018 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TakeFive (Post 2051572940)
It's important to consider a surveyor's style when selecting one. Do you want to follow him around during the survey and learn from him, or leave him alone and let him do his thing by himself. Some surveyors are less patient with inquisitive owners.

TakeFive,

I'm definitely one that wants to shadow my surveyor. I expect there to be problems with any boat so if the surveyor points them out to me as he/she is going through the boat, 1.) I will better understand the problem and 2.) I will be putting together a list of things that I can tackle and those that I cannot and finally 3.) prioritizing fixes that cannot wait (i.e safety) and those that can. I understand they are there to do a job and would not slow them down any more than I have to but I need to know what the boat has in store for me.

I don't have any inclination to cross oceans, at least not until I have been cruising the East coast for many years. The plan is to visit with my daughter in Boston for the summer and early Fall seasons, then head south as it gets cold. Fall in the mid-Atlantic (Chesapeake) is pretty spectacular, then head to Charleston for the winter. Maybe a bit further south if the weather in Charleston is not to my liking. Primarily, I'm looking for a coastal cruiser, light to medium displacement, capable of being sailed short handed and with good performance characteristics.

I forgot to mention that I have also completed the ASA 101 and 103 courses and taken several cruises on an Island packet 32 so I'm not completely out of my element on a cruising boat.

Many thanks for your input.

4arch 01-01-2019 09:07 PM

I'm not yet sure exactly where we'll be going or what we'll be doing in 2019 but we'll probably continue working the kids up to more anchoring and more 3 and 4 day excursions. My wife and I usually spend a January or February evening planning our sailing season - even down to single overnights. Not necessarily exact destinations - but at least blocking out the time. We find getting everything on the calendar far in advance helps keep other commitments from creeping in to steal sailing time. Also gives us something to look forward to during the depths of winter!

I have gotten started on winter projects. I installed the B&G V50 VHF and wireless RAM bought at the boat show. It should be a nice upgrade from our 20+ year old VHF. I replaced our dripless shaft seal which had started dripping slightly. I also started cutting out waste hoses in our aft head - nasty job but due for replacement. I plan to replace the engine exhaust hose but having a hard time figuring out how to get the existing one out. Need to do more research.

oldlaxer1 01-02-2019 09:34 AM

We had an abysmal 2018 season. We got a late start due to getting the house on the market and moving onto the Hatteras. But then it seems like every time we had the time to go sailing it was raining! We did two day trips and no overnighters. We are planning on moving the sailboat from the Anchorage Marina (where we live) to a marina much closer to the mouth of the Patapsco so we can get sailing much quicker and even one night overnight trips to the Magothy or Rock Hall are do-able. I'm having a hip replaced in early March so hopefully I'll be recovered in time for late spring/early summer sailing.

4arch 01-02-2019 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldlaxer1 (Post 2051573480)
We are planning on moving the sailboat from the Anchorage Marina (where we live) to a marina much closer to the mouth of the Patapsco so we can get sailing much quicker and even one night overnight trips to the Magothy or Rock Hall are do-able.

Good move. Which marina are you going to? We loved the Anchorage (except for the parking situation) but being near the mouth really does open up not just Rock Hall and the Magothy, but Worton, Still Pond, the Chester, and even Annapolis as reasonable weekend overnight destinations.

I did see they are replacing docks at the Anchorage. I dropped off some canvas to the shop there a couple of weeks ago and saw a few of the docks all taken apart. It's good that they are keeping the place up, although I imagine higher fees are to follow.

oldlaxer1 01-02-2019 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4arch (Post 2051573498)
Good move. Which marina are you going to?.

I think this year we may go to Old Bay Marina. Not a fancy place by any stretch of the imagination but convenient both from a sailing point of view and also it is only about a 25 minute drive from The Anchorage. We won't be staying on board at the new marina except on rare occasions and there is a cute little bar right up the street as a small bonus. We really like a bunch of the marinas on Rock Creek but it is a minimum of 45 minutes to an hour drive to get there.

Anchorage is doing a really nice job and one of the new docks is F dock where we keep the sailboat. Kinda hate to give that up but we had 2018 as the "Year of the Dock Queen" and I don't want that to happen again. We also have 3 sailboat owners on F dock that are ALWAYS looking for people to sail with them so shorter day or evening trips will still happen except on OPB's (which isn't my favorite but beats doing nothing.)

Anchor1800 01-02-2019 11:24 AM

I'm looking at possibly doing the Around Long Island Regatta this year for the first time. Does anyone have any experience with it? The dates for 2019 have not been posted yet, but it is usually toward the end of July. Part of that decision is if I'll be doing it on my boat, which involves a cruise up and back from Philly or on my brothers boat which is already up in NY but may not be available.

Other trips I plan to repeat from this past season are a several night trip through the C&D down to the Magothy River to raft up with friends, and some more exploring of what the Delaware River Bay have to offer for day or weekend trips.

4arch 01-02-2019 11:27 AM

We are at Old Bay. Very much a no frills place, but the owner is friendly and the direct access to the Bay is hard to beat. Say hi to us if you come over.

oldlaxer1 01-02-2019 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4arch (Post 2051573522)
We are at Old Bay. Very much a no frills place, but the owner is friendly and the direct access to the Bay is hard to beat. Say hi to us if you come over.

I sure will. I've used Brian for short hauls, winter storage and a weekly bottom paint haul so I'm very familiar with the place. great views, plenty of parking and as you say, access to the bay is tough to beat.

JoCoSailor 01-02-2019 03:36 PM

You all are killing me with your sailing plans for the bay. We're still 2 years away from being there full time :(.....hope to do at least one day out on the bay again this year.

We've chartered a boat from Norton Yacht's (Deltaville VA) the last two years. Anyone have another recommendation on a place rent a sailboat from in Virginia?

TakeFive 01-02-2019 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldlaxer1 (Post 2051573480)
We had an abysmal 2018 season. We got a late start due to getting the house on the market and moving onto the Hatteras. But then it seems like every time we had the time to go sailing it was raining! We did two day trips and no overnighters. We are planning on moving the sailboat from the Anchorage Marina (where we live) to a marina much closer to the mouth of the Patapsco so we can get sailing much quicker and even one night overnight trips to the Magothy or Rock Hall are do-able. I'm having a hip replaced in early March so hopefully I'll be recovered in time for late spring/early summer sailing.

I feel your pain, John. Let's try to do a lunch or dinner meetup in Annapolis or other locale like we did a couple years ago, even if by car. Maybe we can get Auspicious to join us again! I'll be heading over there to pick up my refurbished sail sometime, maybe we can arrange something then.

PalmettoSailor 01-02-2019 07:22 PM

The jury is out on if we'll have a 2019 season.

Between the crummy weather and life demands, we got very little use of the boat last year.

This year I have family issues that will demand a good deal of travel to SC which will take up potential sailing weekends. In light of the cost and demands on our time, we made the difficult decision to give up our slip and take a "wait and see" approach to launching the boat this spring.

If we do launch, we'll have to decide on if we take a slip at HHN/HHS, Shipwright or somewhere else.

chef2sail 01-02-2019 09:21 PM

Visited Haleakula yesterday. Quietly sitting in her slip on Whitehall Creek with a few of her friends. Winter canvas doing it's job protecting her from winter winds.

Our goal is always March 15 75 days from now. Plan is to have her hauled briefly at Hartage for a compound and wax , touch up leading edges of keel and rudder with Ultima 60, have a couplete rigging inspection. The rod was redone 15 years ago. Have our wind instrument replaced.

We will as u see u as long o lots of cruising on the Bay .

First vacation of three weeks will be a jaunt up to Newport, via Cape May . Pobably including , Block Island Greenport, Sag Harbor , Mystic, Mattituck, Northport, Port Washington, Atlantic highlands and Barnegat. Looking at leaving May 23 . While we have visited these areas on other trips up, we will enjoy seeing them again.

If anyone would like to travel up or meet up there let me know.

Second vacation of two weeks will be a southern Chesapeake one. Yorktown, ( a number of days) James River, Rappahanock, many of the northern neck of Virginia creeks. Looks like the second and third weeks of September. Always keep a watchful eye are this time as it's when the he hurricanes/ storms can come up the coast.

ImGary01 01-03-2019 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoCoSailor (Post 2051573608)
You all are killing me with your sailing plans for the bay. We're still 2 years away from being there full time :(.....hope to do at least one day out on the bay again this year.

We've chartered a boat from Norton Yacht's (Deltaville VA) the last two years. Anyone have another recommendation on a place rent a sailboat from in Virginia?

Annapolis is a great place to charter from. You will have more options for sailing to different ports and staying in Annapolis (if you don't want to overnight in a different port) is always a great time. Can't beat the sailing culture there.

T37Chef 01-03-2019 10:54 AM

I can never plan, I just go as often as possible. As a liveaboard I am committed to keeping the boat ready to sail and not become a condo in a slip. That also offers a lot more short trips during the weekdays. In addition, sailing in the winter months is possible when weather is acceptable for myself or guest. That said, this year I will be removing the sails for some minor updates and maintenance needs, something I have not done since they went on new a few years ago.

I am hopeful to get out in the ocean this summer with a trip somewhere North, definitely Martha's Vineyard and Newport, other stops will be planned along the way to and from.

Spring and Summer cannot come fast enough, in the meantime snow skiing and wine by a fire will do.

Horace74 01-03-2019 01:51 PM

Anyone know if a good place to anchor to watch the rocket launches from Wallops??

Anchor1800 01-03-2019 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T37Chef (Post 2051573812)
I can never plan, I just go as often as possible. As a liveaboard I am committed to keeping the boat ready to sail and not become a condo in a slip. That also offers a lot more short trips during the weekdays. In addition, sailing in the winter months is possible when weather is acceptable for myself or guest. That said, this year I will be removing the sails for some minor updates and maintenance needs, something I have not done since they went on new a few years ago.

I am hopeful to get out in the ocean this summer with a trip somewhere North, definitely Martha's Vineyard and Newport, other stops will be planned along the way to and from.

Spring and Summer cannot come fast enough, in the meantime snow skiing and wine by a fire will do.

I completely agree and was able to get out on New Years Day to enjoy the sun and wind! A great way to start off 2019.

JoCoSailor 01-03-2019 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImGary01 (Post 2051573766)
Annapolis is a great place to charter from. You will have more options for sailing to different ports and staying in Annapolis (if you don't want to overnight in a different port) is always a great time. Can't beat the sailing culture there.

I've loved the time I spend Annapolis...hope to spend more time there once we've relocated out that way. We're pretty set on moving to the Northerneck of VA. Next time will be mostly house hunting there. That rules out sailing anywhere other than VA for now....

GeorgeB 01-03-2019 11:56 PM

This thread is unfair! What about all us "non-Chessie" sailors?

markdthorne 01-04-2019 10:42 AM

This is a fun winter thread. Thanks for posting. My Wife, Son and I do an annual 4th of July trip. Usually Montauk/Block Island. This year we will probably do Mattituck and Fishers Island. We are based in Liberty Harbor and sail a Jonmeri 33. We sail every weekend/Wednesday night races.

Feel free to send me a message if in the area!

Mark

Jeff356 01-04-2019 01:11 PM

Will try to get in reasonably early and start hitting our regular closer spots in the spring, Still Pond, Wortons, Swan Creek, Baltimore , Annapolis, Magothy and Reed Creek off the Chester.
When warmer weather comes along with longer weekends to stretch out we want to explore more below Annapolis, heard there are many nice anchorages to check out. Will hit St. Michaels and Shaw Bay / Wye River again as we love that area.

Here is hoping for better sailing weather this year and not some much flooding and debris.

Jeff

chef2sail 01-05-2019 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff356 (Post 2051574122)
Will try to get in reasonably early and start hitting our regular closer spots in the spring, Still Pond, Wortons, Swan Creek, Baltimore , Annapolis, Magothy and Reed Creek off the Chester.
When warmer weather comes along with longer weekends to stretch out we want to explore more below Annapolis, heard there are many nice anchorages to check out. Will hit St. Michaels and Shaw Bay / Wye River again as we love that area.

Here is hoping for better sailing weather this year and not some much flooding and debris.

Jeff

All great places. Get down to the Choptank , lots of neat spots, Oxford, St Micheals via San Domingo , Boby ( spelled correctly) Owl Creek , La Trappe

chef2sail 01-05-2019 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeorgeB (Post 2051574022)
This thread is unfair! What about all us "non-Chessie" sailors?

Lol....there are threads for them

It's just the Chessie bunch has a lot of active posters and sailors
Very active thread year after year.

4arch 01-08-2019 03:51 PM

Went down to the boat on Sunday. Trying to take advantage of relatively warm days to work on interior projects. Finished ripping out the old sanitation hoses for the aft head. Nasty job. Got the new hoses fed through and just need to trim to length and finish up the connections. I decided to use Raritan Saniflex hose. It's very flexible, very easy to work with and supposed to be very resistant to odor permeation. We'll see!

Jim_W 01-21-2019 04:16 PM

Has anyone heard from Gary Travelin easy been a few months since he has post
ed???

Yamsailor 01-22-2019 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chef2sail (Post 2051574412)
Lol....there are threads for them

It's just the Chessie bunch has a lot of active posters and sailors
Very active thread year after year.

Not to mention the Chesapeake Bay is Americas Sailing Capital.....Let the arguments begin....:grin

chef2sail 01-22-2019 09:15 PM

We've visited Newport with Haleakula many times. Even though I am an ardent Chessie person and been accused by a banned poster on here as being a part of the "Chesapeake Posse", I have to think Newport is the east coast as at capital of sailing. Annapokis has the best sailboat show hands down, but when you visit that RI Harbor and see the many 5 spreader masts, 12 meter boats racing daily and look at the various ports of call, it's hard to argue. Plus the town, shops and facilities for sailing are incredible. Hosting the Americas Cup all those years with it's great einf too.

We love to sail both areas, LI Sound/ Newport/ Massacheuettes,.....and the many gunkhole spots on our Chessapeake. No need to have a best...they are both top notch.

BarryL 01-23-2019 03:05 PM

Around Long Island Regatta

Hello,

I have done the ALIR 2014-2018 and I will be doing it again this year.

I think it's a fun race. It's long enough so that you will experience every type of weather: no wind, too much wind, cold, hot, wet, dry, etc., but you never HAVE to be out of sight of land. Two years ago the start was moved to NY Harbor. That was a great idea and start is really great. It is a challenge to get a good start, get clean air, and avoid the ferries, commercial traffic, and other distractions. Then it's under the Verrazano bridge and into the Atlantic ocean.

Anyway, what else would you like to know? I race on a well set up C&C 35 mark 3. it usually takes us about 36 hours to do the race. We have a good sail inventory and we usually end of flying each sail at some point in the race. We try to have a crew of 6 experienced people. Would you be sailing spinnaker or non spin class? Personally, i would not do it on a non spin boat - it would just take too long. Feel free to ask any questions.

Some Chessie and other thoughts:
-I've been sailing on the Long Island sound since 2003. I plan on retiring in 4-5 years. I would like to move somewhere on the east coast - with a longer sailing season (the season here is really mid May to mid October), lower cost of living, and and active racing and cruising scene.
-I looked at Oriental (too sleepy) and New Bern NC (not good sailing)
-I looked briefly at Gloucester Point VA - also too sleepy, and a little bit at Hampton VA. I think Hampton has promise. Any comments on Hampton VA from a retirement / sailboat racing and cruising perspective?

Thanks,
Barry

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anchor1800 (Post 2051573520)
I'm looking at possibly doing the Around Long Island Regatta this year for the first time. Does anyone have any experience with it? The dates for 2019 have not been posted yet, but it is usually toward the end of July. Part of that decision is if I'll be doing it on my boat, which involves a cruise up and back from Philly or on my brothers boat which is already up in NY but may not be available.

Dfok 01-23-2019 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chef2sail (Post 2051578550)
....Even though I am an ardent Chessie person and been accused by a banned poster on here as being a part of the "Chesapeake Posse",......

"Chesapeake Posse"?!? Sounds like a good excuse for a special burgee or secret signal flag - particularly if a "banned poster" has already weighed in.
Maybe a crab on a field of umber (for times the Conowingo Dam opens) with a "Sailing Capital of the World" legend?

chef2sail 01-23-2019 08:46 PM

Lol....the burgee idea was passed around . My wife and I used to host a Chessie get together 14 years ago and did it for 7 years. That's where the "posse" started. The get together drew as many as 70 and as few as 50.

The trick was to have a venue someplace where people could anchor , take a slip, or come by car. We were at MYC at the time and it was the perfect place IMHO. After 7 years we tired of organizing it. Others have hosted for a year or two, but never really got the same numbers. I found also the other important factor aside from the venue was the point person had to really lead and pick the date early . The point person needed to really lead it. No time is good for everyone. But picking a date early like soon gave people a chance before they had other commitments.

Quite a few still post here and many of us remain friends and get together and raft up or meet at the Annapolis boat show. The original posse were 4arch, JeeffH, Takefive ( he always came the furthest from NJ) , T37chef, Auspicious, Aa3j , Travelneasy, and Joe Mccartney ( I forgot his boats name) , added on were DonnaF, Gladrags I think, I know I'm missing some I'm sorry. Many made it multiple times. Best part was the commaradiere. Food was good too with Two chefs there. Gary always had music, green coconut margaritas , and homemade kaluah.

Another offshoot was we found out Joe ( who now has passed on) was a professional photographer for the Washington Post and others. Some we of us have avatars with his pictures as we got together on mi see the day on the Severn by Annapolis .He stood on the rte 450 bridge and snapped away as we passed underneath it.
I still have well, over 450 digital photographs of all the boats that day on a stick. That winter we all got together at a Deep Creek, Magothy restaurant for brunch where he handed out large poster size photos of our boats to some of us. Ours is framed under glass and is in our family room still. God bless Joe...

It's funny we all have different personalities on here....mine sometimes biting and abrasive, but I can say we all have basically remained cordial and sometimes even closer. In person our real personas come out vs the internet ones, and many of us get along really well. After all e are all sailors ���������� I think us meeting in person created a bond a a sailing friendsship. What our larger detractor never understood that the "posse" nickname was built from this positive base and we could never all think alike as he insinuated. In additionion we had a common bond and never liked seeing another attacked on here.

SN has been great and I have been lucky as I've met some of the members on here from Long Island, Newport, New Jersry and other places we've traveled up north. I've talked on the phone with others too. Just recently I called SanderO for some advice for our upcoming trip and hope to have a drink/ break bed when we go up there.

This is the best of SN and why I stay here after as one 9,400 posts. I like to post on our travels on the Chesapeake and our dinners. I haven't been a real chef for so Dr k for 20+ years. Listing our adventures gives others and newbie places they might want to visit. M as my are weekend trips, . The food, is a passion for me...just like T37chef. Just because we are on a small boAt doesn't mean you can't make creative stuff. Food also brings people together.

So anyone can be part of the "posse" . Justt have respect. An Dr if someone wants to take the lead on a burger...I'm in. We eliminated the "crab" only and got as far as an outline of the Bay from top to I bottom

Rezz 02-11-2019 08:16 PM

Well, despite the weather we're working with right now, I made today a sailing related day. I drove down to Annapolis to eat at my favorite place there, Miss Shirley's, and to spend some time at Annapolis Performance Sailing. APS - Annapolis Performance Sailing | APS They have a line and rigging sale until mid month, and I needed new lifelines.

I forgot to take a picture of my cheese graters, er, old lifelines, with half the vinyl peeled off. Instead, I'm replacing them with Dyneema. 17 feet each side with an eye on one side and a luggage tag on the other, for $160. I should have them sometime next month when their Dyneema arrives from backorder.

I'll share pics of the new lifelines once they get put on... and by then y'all will have forgotten about this conversation :)

Rhapsody-NS27 02-12-2019 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rezz (Post 2051582536)
Well, despite the weather we're working with right now, I made today a sailing related day. I drove down to Annapolis to eat at my favorite place there, Miss Shirley's, and to spend some time at Annapolis Performance Sailing. APS - Annapolis Performance Sailing | APS They have a line and rigging sale until mid month, and I needed new lifelines.

I forgot to take a picture of my cheese graters, er, old lifelines, with half the vinyl peeled off. Instead, I'm replacing them with Dyneema. 17 feet each side with an eye on one side and a luggage tag on the other, for $160. I should have them sometime next month when their Dyneema arrives from backorder.

I'll share pics of the new lifelines once they get put on... and by then y'all will have forgotten about this conversation :)

Got all my running rigging from APS. I like that store. Have fun replacing them.

Rhapsody-NS27 02-12-2019 09:57 AM

Went to visit my boat on Saturday. While I was moving around inside, things started shaking like it was on the trailer again. Got out, checked the stands, and found the mid and aft stands were loose. There is a motor boat on one side of my boat and another sailboat on the other side. Out of curiosity, I checked the stands on the neighboring sailboat and it too had loose stands mid and aft. Tightened all of them and went on about my day. Called and told the marina yesterday that they might want to check all the stands in the yard. Glad I found out about it. Would hate to hear my boat fell over.

TakeFive 02-12-2019 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 (Post 2051582616)
Went to visit my boat on Saturday. While I was moving around inside, things started shaking like it was on the trailer again. Got out, checked the stands, and found the mid and aft stands were loose. There is a motor boat on one side of my boat and another sailboat on the other side. Out of curiosity, I checked the stands on the neighboring sailboat and it too had loose stands mid and aft. Tightened all of them and went on about my day. Called and told the marina yesterday that they might want to check all the stands in the yard. Glad I found out about it. Would hate to hear my boat fell over.

This sounds very odd. Are the stands chained together properly? Are the stands on gravel? If so, do they have plywood underneath? Stands don't just lower themselves unless there's some underlying support issue.

Rhapsody-NS27 02-12-2019 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TakeFive (Post 2051582814)
This sounds very odd. Are the stands chained together properly? Are the stands on gravel? If so, do they have plywood underneath? Stands don't just lower themselves unless there's some underlying support issue.

Yes they're chained together. They are on gravel, but no plywood under the stands. The stands appear to have sunk into the gravel slightly.

TakeFive 02-12-2019 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 (Post 2051582822)
Yes they're chained together. They are on gravel, but no plywood under the stands. The stands appear to have sunk into the gravel slightly.

Tell your yard to get their act together. This is a SERIOUS deficiency in their practice. It should be obvious to those guys.

I'm in a DIY yard, so I have to learn these things myself. Go to Home Depot, buy a 4'x4' sheet of plywood, and use their saw to make 16 1'x1' squares. I try to go there during slow times, because when busy they don't like to do that many cuts.

Your rear stands are load bearing, so you can't insert the plywood. Your stern will sink down over time. (Get the plywood under them next fall.) But your side stands can usually be removed in calm weather, and re-inserted on top of the plywood, without any danger. Of course, your yard will freak out if you do this yourself, unless you're in a DIY yard like me.

Without the plywood, your boat will "rock" a little at a time, gradually loosening the side stands over time, unless they're sitting on plywood.

Ulladh 02-13-2019 07:59 AM

I check my stands every time I go to the boat in the winter. Front stands are on harder packed gravel and rarely need tightening, rear stands are on less densely packed gravel and do need tightening after the heavy rain or extreme freeze thaw cycles we have been having.

The tightening is usually less than a 1/4 turn, but the rear plywood pads are now completely covered.

I also check water drainage on the cockpit floor for side to side level.

Rhapsody-NS27 02-13-2019 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TakeFive (Post 2051582828)
Tell your yard to get their act together. This is a SERIOUS deficiency in their practice. It should be obvious to those guys.

I'm in a DIY yard, so I have to learn these things myself. Go to Home Depot, buy a 4'x4' sheet of plywood, and use their saw to make 16 1'x1' squares. I try to go there during slow times, because when busy they don't like to do that many cuts.

Your rear stands are load bearing, so you can't insert the plywood. Your stern will sink down over time. (Get the plywood under them next fall.) But your side stands can usually be removed in calm weather, and re-inserted on top of the plywood, without any danger. Of course, your yard will freak out if you do this yourself, unless you're in a DIY yard like me.

Without the plywood, your boat will "rock" a little at a time, gradually loosening the side stands over time, unless they're sitting on plywood.

Thanks for the info. I am at a DIY yard but I've never seen this marina put pads under the stands. The marina got bought out by the Harrington Harbor folks and managed by someone else who only seem interested in power boats. Only wood I've seen used here is under the keel. Maybe it would have been better to keep the boat on its trailer a little longer.

Dfok 02-13-2019 05:44 PM

We've had some extremes in weather, going from deep cold to 50 degrees quickly, some melting snow and a lot of rain since last summer. All of that comes into play in the storage yard. If wind is working against the hull a tiny bit of motion over an extended time can also slightly loosen boat stands.
Most of the boats in our DIY yard are on hard packed stone where boats have been stored for years. Almost everybody uses plywood squares under the stands, those who don't usually figure it out or are told by season two. Whatever the preparations most winters the ground and the boats move a bit.
We each check our own stands and usually the neighboring boats every couple weeks and it is not unusual to have to tighten or loosen stands. Not a big deal, just part of life in a boatyard.
As Ulladh mentioned, most of the time it is a 1/4 turn or so, but with lots of rain or quick freezes combined with not checking for a few weeks it might be more.

TakeFive 02-13-2019 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 (Post 2051582910)
...Maybe it would have been better to keep the boat on its trailer a little longer.

Welcome to the joys of boat stands! My yard also thinks that sailboats are a nuisance, and they don't understand how to do things. The "blowboaters" have to stick together and help each other out. We even sit together at our own table at the monthly members' meetings.

Captain Canuck 02-14-2019 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 (Post 2051582910)
Thanks for the info. I am at a DIY yard but I've never seen this marina put pads under the stands. The marina got bought out by the Harrington Harbor folks and managed by someone else who only seem interested in power boats. Only wood I've seen used here is under the keel. Maybe it would have been better to keep the boat on its trailer a little longer.

I've been at Herrington North for five seasons now. They have been very fair and accommodating. I've been particularly impressed with their environmental stewardship.

PatMc57 02-14-2019 06:11 PM

Finally took the plunge, my 1st...Bought a Dufour 31 in a slip on Kent Island on New Year's Day. It's an older boat but the price was right...just need elbow grease and some parts. I've been going down every other weekend to do the work that I can. Am going down this weekend to sleep aboard for a 2 day work schedule. While it may be cold, I can't wait! Sleeping bag City!
I'll not be a pain to all of you..you've all been fantastically helpful and supportive over the years that I've been around...but am sure that I'm going to need some sage advice.
The benefit of having chartered so many different boats for 30ish years is that I get a real feel for the differences...I have a good feeling about this one...
Wish me luck...am in.
Pat

oldlaxer1 02-15-2019 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatMc57 (Post 2051583220)
Finally took the plunge, my 1st...Bought a Dufour 31 in a slip on Kent Island on New Year's Day. It's an older boat but the price was right...just need elbow grease and some parts. I've been going down every other weekend to do the work that I can. Am going down this weekend to sleep aboard for a 2 day work schedule. While it may be cold, I can't wait! Sleeping bag City!
I'll not be a pain to all of you..you've all been fantastically helpful and supportive over the years that I've been around...but am sure that I'm going to need some sage advice.
The benefit of having chartered so many different boats for 30ish years is that I get a real feel for the differences...I have a good feeling about this one...
Wish me luck...am in.
Pat

Welcome Aboard!

Rhapsody-NS27 02-15-2019 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Canuck (Post 2051583112)
I've been at Herrington North for five seasons now. They have been very fair and accommodating. I've been particularly impressed with their environmental stewardship.

Hi neighbor. My boat is over in Rockhold Creek Marina.

oldlaxer1 02-22-2019 09:19 AM

Temps in the 60's on Sunday...one small problem.
"It will also warm us into the 60s on Sunday. But that comes with the price tag of strong winds…which could reach the 50 to 60 mph range."

Hurry up real spring!

PalmettoSailor 02-24-2019 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 (Post 2051583304)
Hi neighbor. My boat is over in Rockhold Creek Marina.

So Chaney bought Rockhold Creek Marina also?

I knew they bought Shipwright but hadn't heard anything about Rockhold Creek.

Learn something almost every time I stop by Sailnet.

Jeff_H 02-25-2019 12:17 PM

Sunday turned out to be a glorious day for a sail, a bit windy with some pretty wild gusts at times but beautiful. When I first was clearing the creek, it was still cloudy, damp, and cold. As I turned into the wind to raise sails, I was confronted with square whitecaps, and some gusts that heeled the boat before the sails were even raised. I thought what's wrong with me going out in this crap. Any sensible senior citizen would be home on the sofa petting the cats.

But once I got sails up and things tidied up, and the boat settled down, it was a real romp of a sail. Even nicer, once the clouds cleared and sun came out it warmed up pretty quickly. I made a very fast trip out towards Thomas Point, made a quick pass through Annapolis Harbor and buzzed the tourists strolling at the end of the city dock, and made a quick trip home, dropping sails at the end of my pier and wasting not a moment of sailing time. Of course, I was back in the slip with the sails down and folded before the serious winds kicked in.

The only casualty was my backstay adjuster pennant. I had been planning to replace it since it had started to fray where it was in the cleat when the backstay was really honked down on. The cover gave up the ghost when I pulled in a lot of mast bend during a particularly gusty portion of the sail. When I got back to the dock, I replaced it with a piece of salvaged Kevlar cored main halyard that I had kept around for the past half dozen years for just that purpose.

It was one heck of a windy night. At one point, this morning Thomas Point was showing an ambient wind of 38 knots with gusts to 42. I think that I was sensibly petting the cats at that point in time.

Speaking of senior citizens, has anyone heard from Gary in a while?

Jeff

chef2sail 02-25-2019 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_H (Post 2051585764)
Sunday turned out to be a glorious day for a sail, a bit windy with some pretty wild gusts at times but beautiful. When I first was clearing the creek, it was still cloudy, damp, and cold. As I turned into the wind to raise sails, I was confronted with square whitecaps, and some gusts that heeled the boat before the sails were even raised. I thought what's wrong with me going out in this crap. Any sensible senior citizen would be home on the sofa petting the cats.

But once I got sails up and things tidied up, and the boat settled down, it was a real romp of a sail. Even nicer, once the clouds cleared and sun came out it warmed up pretty quickly. I made a very fast trip out towards Thomas Point, made a quick pass through Annapolis Harbor and buzzed the tourists strolling at the end of the city dock, and made a quick trip home, dropping sails at the end of my pier and wasting not a moment of sailing time. Of course, I was back in the slip with the sails down and folded before the serious winds kicked in.

The only casualty was my backstay adjuster pennant. I had been planning to replace it since it had started to fray where it was in the cleat when the backstay was really honked down on. The cover gave up the ghost when I pulled in a lot of mast bend during a particularly gusty portion of the sail. When I got back to the dock, I replaced it with a piece of salvaged Kevlar cored main halyard that I had kept around for the past half dozen years for just that purpose.

It was one heck of a windy night. At one point, this morning Thomas Point was showing an ambient wind of 38 knots with gusts to 42. I think that I was sensibly petting the cats at that point in time.

Jeff

Reading this makes me believe it's almost time to get down to Whitehall and takes the winter canvas off.

TakeFive 02-25-2019 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chef2sail (Post 2051585856)
Reading this makes me believe it's almost time to get down to Whitehall and takes the winter canvas off.

After today the wind might have already ripped it off. :p

slap 02-25-2019 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chef2sail (Post 2051585856)

Last year I took the cover off in mid March and then it snowed a week later.

ImGary01 02-26-2019 02:55 PM

Quote:

Jeff

Jeff,

I'm sure you are referring to a different Gary, I believe there are several, but being a senior citizen as well, I will take a shout out too. I've been at the Army Management Staff College in Fort Leavenworth the last three weeks and just arrived back home so I thought I would pop on to see what was going on in the Chesapeake.

GaryO

Jeff_H 02-26-2019 03:12 PM

I am glad to hear that you are doing well and have returned to the Chesapeake. The Gary I was asking about is Tavlin-easy, but the more Gary's the merrier.

Rhapsody-NS27 02-27-2019 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PalmettoSailor (Post 2051585470)
So Chaney bought Rockhold Creek Marina also?

I knew they bought Shipwright but hadn't heard anything about Rockhold Creek.

Learn something almost every time I stop by Sailnet.

Yep, that's what I heard. They bought it and Galahad Marine is managing it.

chef2sail 03-09-2019 11:47 PM

Quote:

Jeff

I have corresponded with Gary ( traveling easy) , He is still around😀🌪 Doing ok and getting ready to work on his boat.

Jeff_H 03-10-2019 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chef2sail (Post 2051588198)
I have corresponded with Gary ( traveling easy) , He is still around😀🌪 Doing ok and getting ready to work on his boat.

Thank you Dave. I had not seen him around and had gotten worried about him.

Tomorrow looks like a mandatory sailing day!

Jeff

chef2sail 03-11-2019 09:30 PM

Visited Haleakula yesterday. Got the winter canvas off yesterday and made Ali see the of mine or projects and commissioning stuff.,

We put the dodger and Bimini on, Donna tweaked it over the winter as last year was new and it always comes with minor adjustments. Plan is to start going down weekends now. Probably start the Yanmar next Saturday and recondition all the fresh water systems. Take a tour ok f alone fittings with the rachet set, amazing how some loosen up. We'll wait a few weekends for the dinghy.

Plans are to take her to Hartages on West for a short haul and waxing as well as rig inspection , a new Raymarine wind IInstrument (birds got to the last one), and akeel check.

All in prep for a mid May 3 week trip to Newport, Cuttyhunk, Sag Harbor, Greenport, Northporg and other stops on the LI Sound.

BarryL 03-13-2019 08:36 PM

Hey,

The weather mid May is very ‘interesting’ on the Long Island sound. The water is still cold and it can be rough.

Please let me know when you’re in my area( port Jeff) . I’d love to get together.

Barry

Quote:

Originally Posted by chef2sail (Post 2051588480)
All in prep for a mid May 3 week trip to Newport, Cuttyhunk, Sag Harbor, Greenport, Northporg and other stops on the LI Sound.

chef2sail 03-14-2019 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryL (Post 2051588908)
Hey,

The weather mid May is very ‘interesting’ on the Long Island sound. The water is still cold and it can be rough.

Please let me know when you’re in my area( port Jeff) . I’d love to get together.

Barry

Looks like around May 21 - May 30 area.
Would love to get together
Last time we were up we stopped in Mt Siani and anchored overnight. Thiink we spotted you boat. Do you still keep it there?

TakeFive 03-14-2019 10:43 PM

I headed to the boatyard today to wet sand the bottom. Temperature under the canvas cover was 99°F. After 30 minutes of setup I was ready, but then realized the water is still turned off. It will be on by tomorrow. I did 1/3 of the boat from a bucket (filled at the clubhouse), but it was slow going, so I stopped and dry sanded the shaft and masked off anodes to prep for zinc paint. It was too windy to spray it today.

Hoping for April 14 splash, but various factors may delay it by a month.

BarryL 03-15-2019 01:38 PM

Hello

BTW - I tried to PM you but you have too many messages.

My boat is still in Mt. Sinai.

Please let me know your plans for being in my area.

Regarding the Mystic area, there is over 6' of water on the approach to Spicers. You do need to stay to the east of the green markers. There are mooring and slips.

I have stayed at Spicers twice. Last year I was in Noank twice on the C&C 35 I race on. We stayed at Noank Shipyard on the east side of Morgan point. Noank Shipyard also has moorings and plenty of water. It is not a fancy place but was OK. There are some restaurants near by but nothing great. I actually bought my 110 from Spring Yacht sales further up towards Mystic. There were plenty of good restaurants near there. If you want touristy then go to Mystic. if you're just stopping for the night then Spicers or Noank Shipyard will be faster.

Keep in touch.

Barry

Quote:

Originally Posted by chef2sail (Post 2051589100)
Looks like around May 21 - May 30 area.
Would love to get together
Last time we were up we stopped in Mt Siani and anchored overnight. Thiink we spotted you boat. Do you still keep it there?

chef2sail 03-15-2019 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryL (Post 2051589222)
Hello

BTW - I tried to PM you but you have too many messages.

My boat is still in Mt. Sinai.

Please let me know your plans for being in my area.

Regarding the Mystic area, there is over 6' of water on the approach to Spicers. You do need to stay to the east of the green markers. There are mooring and slips.

I have stayed at Spicers twice. Last year I was in Noank twice on the C&C 35 I race on. We stayed at Noank Shipyard on the east side of Morgan point. Noank Shipyard also has moorings and plenty of water. It is not a fancy place but was OK. There are some restaurants near by but nothing great. I actually bought my 110 from Spring Yacht sales further up towards Mystic. There were plenty of good restaurants near there. If you want touristy then go to Mystic. if you're just stopping for the night then Spicers or Noank Shipyard will be faster.

Keep in touch.

Barry

Thanks for the info.

We thought we'd stay a couple nights or 3 , in a marina in either Noank ( Spicers ) or the Mystic Yacht Yard (Old Brewers ) in Mystic. Probably rent an SUV and take a day in Newport and take the ferry to Block ( though we may mooring there. We've been to both many time and it give us more time to spend in Montauk, Sag Harbor, Greenport. Also SanderO suggested we do a tour around Shelter Island.

Our trip this time will be to revisit some of the places we been to previous trips but also try some new stuff. We love the forks area arpt the end of LI. May forgo Montauk for 3 Mile Harbor. Most of that part will be anchoring/ moorings except Greenport where we may go to Mitchel for a few days in a slip and reprovision. I like Sag where we may take a mooring or anchor by Shelter Island and dinghy over. We are going to play that part of the trip by feel. On the way back to the Chessie we will probably stop in Mattituck, a gem and of course Northport ( we have history there. )

Since we are retiring soon and will be back, we know better to do too much as it is our vacation. It was great to get three straight weeks off.

Love to get together with you and Sander when we are visiting. Any tips are greatly appreciated including restaurants. We cook onboard a lot, but my wife deserves today out...lol.

Thanks for the PM tip I cleared out about 100 messages from years ago,

chef2sail 03-17-2019 06:29 PM

Spent yesterday commissioning Haleakula for the new sailing season. Donna and I cleaned all ty being terior cabinets, reinstalled the filled propane tanks, polished the interior wood, put the grill , lifesling, and horshoe back on the rail.

Figures...snow flurries tonight.

Jeff_H 03-18-2019 06:24 PM

Yesterday was a beautiful sailing day on the Chesapeake. Decent (albiet shifty) breezes, lots of sunshine and almost no one around. I went sailing with a fellow who had never sailed before. He did great for a first time out. It was neat to see his joy as the things that he had read about turned real in front of his very eyes.

Jeff

FunkyJunk 03-21-2019 08:03 PM

Do you guys have recommendations for boat rental for new sailors in the Annapolis/Deale/Galesville area? My wife and I took the 101 course last fall and would like to rent (or join a club) to get our feet wet on something like a Catalina 22 or 25. The eventual goal is to buy a boat, but probably not for the first year or so.

I'm hoping you folks could point me to the right place to look for this sort of thing. I live in Springfield, VA and I've begun looking into the sailing clubs on the Potomac, but I'd honestly rather do my sailing on the Bay. I'm open to joining a sailing club if it's not *super* expensive. Also, single-day rentals would be good.

Thanks for any info you can provide!

PalmettoSailor 03-21-2019 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FunkyJunk (Post 2051590720)
Do you guys have recommendations for boat rental for new sailors in the Annapolis/Deale/Galesville area? My wife and I took the 101 course last fall and would like to rent (or join a club) to get our feet wet on something like a Catalina 22 or 25. The eventual goal is to buy a boat, but probably not for the first year or so.

I'm hoping you folks could point me to the right place to look for this sort of thing. I live in Springfield, VA and I've begun looking into the sailing clubs on the Potomac, but I'd honestly rather do my sailing on the Bay. I'm open to joining a sailing club if it's not *super* expensive. Also, single-day rentals would be good.

https://thesailingacademy.com

The owner was in our Sailing Association. Really nice family.

FunkyJunk 03-22-2019 07:16 PM

Thanks, PalmettoSailor. I'm looking into it!

chef2sail 03-22-2019 07:59 PM

Tommorow our sailing season begins

Looking to continue with our Spring commissioning tomorrow and fire up the hibernating Yanmar.
Plan on staying tomorrow night. Probably anchored out on one of the Severn Creeks or Mill Creek/ Whitehalll Creek.

Grilled Rockfish is on the menu with dirty rice and grilled pears with gorgonzola cheese.

chef2sail 03-23-2019 10:04 PM

Decided to stay tied to the dock. Winds gusting over 40 all afternoon. Didn't want leaving the slip for the first time this year to turn into a spectacle.

Nice and cozy inside. So we grilled the fish , but decided to eat below, which is a a rarity for us. Just good to be back on Haleakula

chef2sail 03-24-2019 08:33 PM

First sail of the season in the books. Beautiful out today. Very light wind . The water temp showed at 45 degrees in the middle of the Bay and 50 in our Creek. The breeze off the water required sailing gloves, sweatshirt, wind pants and good windbreaker. Haleakula showed no issues.

Was a great day for hot chocolate underway

PatMc57 03-24-2019 08:57 PM

Haven Charters out of Swan Creek by Rock Hall.
David and Jacki do a great job with a varied selection. Reasonable and Reliable. I've sailed with them for 20+ yrs..until I bought aboat.
Pat

Totuma 03-25-2019 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chef2sail (Post 2051591322)
First sail of the season in the books. Beautiful out today. Very light wind . The water temp showed at 45 degrees in the middle of the Bay and 50 in our Creek. The breeze off the water required sailing gloves, sweatshirt, wind pants and good windbreaker. Haleakula showed no issues.

Was a great day for hot chocolate underway

It was a glorious day indeed. We lubed 3 old Grogo's, put on new reg #'s (she's only 20' LOA, so no CG reg), waxed the hull, replumbed galley sink (removed the jerry-rigged nest of valves PO had installed in attempt to use galley pump for salt water rinse), and finished removal of 'shelf' PO had installed in v-berth locker.

The only sailing we could have done was on the hard, but I did sit in cockpit during a break, and made little swishing/sailing sounds :-)

Rhorlacher 03-27-2019 02:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I know I am new to this post, but am very happy to say Monday was the first run out on the new (to me) boat. It was a bit light on the winds, but was able to do a few miles.

Aswayze 03-27-2019 04:46 PM

Looks as thought I will be joining you guys for the 2019 season at least.

My job needs me out in Martinsburg Wv for at least the next 3 months. Near term, I am flying out next week and getting rolling with the job and using off days to do a little recon on a place to stash the sailboat then once I get that figured, I'll fly home and trailer it out from Kansas City for the duration to give myself something productive to do on my off days.

Just wrapped up some engine repairs out here and have everything back installed and mostly aligned, just need to double check everything now that she's sitting in the water and not on the trailer.

Also need to do the usual pre-trip trailer overhaul work. Repack all the bearings, replace any worn brake bits, check the everything. I usually trailer a decent distance every year so it's in pretty good nick, I just need to make sure it stays that way.

It will be nice to be in an area that has marine services. There is nothing here where I live and nothing to speak of any of up the portions of Lake Superior I generally travel out to. It would be a delight to get my boat up on some hard stands and vigorously attack my swing keel and potentially get some custom canvas work done.

ThereYouAre 03-28-2019 08:17 PM

Quote:

I don't blame you for preferring the bay to the Potomac. That being said SCOW is a good club at very reasonable prices and a short drive from Springfield.

-Hugh

chef2sail 03-30-2019 05:57 PM

Haleakulaon the loose today with a nice sailing day. Temps in the high 60s. A few shakedown tacks across the Bay to Hemmingways and we are currently anchored on Mill Creek for the night near Orchard Marina.

Dinner is Grilled filet mignon , grilled portabellas marinated in aged balsamic vinegar , chopped salad with gorgonzola and grilled pears and petite butter potatoes ( on the grill of course). Accompanied by a David Bruce Russian River Valley Pinot noir.

So peaceful and relaxing to get out

chef2sail 03-31-2019 04:22 PM

Quiet night at anchor followed by the passage of the cold front. Motored home the 1/2 hour rather than tack back and forth in 40 knot gusts. Always challenging putting Haleakuka into her slip without ping ponging in during these kind of conditions, but we seemed to get it right today.

Just in time as Gale warnings just stared,

4arch 04-01-2019 08:25 AM

We were supposed to splash this weekend but it was too windy for the travel lift. They will try again one day this week. The yard did manage to use a genie lift to replace my windex, which had fallen victim to a winter bird attack. Maybe we'll get out for our first sail (probably not overnight though) this weekend. Forecast is showing it warming back up as the week goes on. Saturday was beautiful.

Captain Canuck 04-01-2019 10:17 AM

I'm in the middle of the sand/paint process. It was finally warm enough this weekend to start sanding. Khaleesea had a lot of barnacle damage this year (as did many others, by the looks of the yard), so the process is slower than it might otherwise be.

About 75% through the electric conversion process too. I can't wait to drop her in the water and see how far I can get on a full charge.

My wife is looking to redo our decals. The front runner is a full length dragon spitting lightning. :)

PalmettoSailor 04-01-2019 11:56 AM

Family issues over the past several months lead us to choose not to renew the lease on our slip for this season and we have been unsure if we would launch at all. Now things have settled down some, so we started looking for a slip. Unfortunately we were not really happy with the offerings at our current marina, or or previous one just across the creek, so we continued looking and found an opportunity that is perfect for our current situation on West River in a condo slip. Since we haven't had a minute to think about boat prep, it works fine with us that the slip isn't available until May 1.

We've decided to give it a try this season, and see how we like it. Will take some time off in April to sand a paint the bottom and wax the hull, then we'll be headed a bit further north for the season. Thinking we could be anchored out on Rhode River on Friday nights from this new location, and Annapolis, Chester River and Rock Hall will be easy options for weekend cruises. Our favorites off the Choptank will be a bit further, but Eastern Bay will be about the same, if not closer. Really, just happy to be thinking we'll have some time on the boat this season after contemplating staying stacked the whole season.

4arch 04-01-2019 01:25 PM

The West is a pretty ideal location for having lots of weekend overnight choices. Marinas there will be on the top of our list when we eventually decide to try keeping our boat on a different part of the bay.

chef2sail 04-01-2019 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4arch (Post 2051593102)
We were supposed to splash this weekend but it was too windy for the travel lift. They will try again one day this week. The yard did manage to use a genie lift to replace my windex, which had fallen victim to a winter bird attack. Maybe we'll get out for our first sail (probably not overnight though) this weekend. Forecast is showing it warming back up as the week goes on. Saturday was beautiful.

Great ...we will see you soon on the Bay😃😃😃

chef2sail 04-01-2019 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PalmettoSailor (Post 2051593168)
Family issues over the past several months lead us to choose not to renew the lease on our slip for this season and we have been unsure if we would launch at all. Now things have settled down some, so we started looking for a slip. Unfortunately we were not really happy with the offerings at our current marina, or or previous one just across the creek, so we continued looking and found an opportunity that is perfect for our current situation on West River in a condo slip. Since we haven't had a minute to think about boat prep, it works fine with us that the slip isn't available until May 1.

We've decided to give it a try this season, and see how we like it. Will take some time off in April to sand a paint the bottom and wax the hull, then we'll be headed a bit further north for the season. Thinking we could be anchored out on Rhode River on Friday nights from this new location, and Annapolis, Chester River and Rock Hall will be easy options for weekend cruises. Our favorites off the Choptank will be a bit further, but Eastern Bay will be about the same, if not closer. Really, just happy to be thinking we'll have some time on the boat this season after contemplating staying stacked the whole season.

Good to hear.

Don't forget the Wye and it's many gunkholes.
And for that matter the Magothy
If you see us give us a shout.
We frequent the same spots you mentioned

Rezz 04-02-2019 10:47 AM

Speaking of the Chester River, I was looking at the map recently at the Eastern Neck National Wildlife Refuge. The eastern shore of that island looks quite nice for an overnight. Has anyone done this, and how is it? Are there any restrictions there?

4arch 04-02-2019 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rezz (Post 2051593334)
Speaking of the Chester River, I was looking at the map recently at the Eastern Neck National Wildlife Refuge. The eastern shore of that island looks quite nice for an overnight. Has anyone done this, and how is it? Are there any restrictions there?

I’ve occasionally seen boats anchored there when passing by. The coves and creeks are very shallow but if you have a shoal enough draft (<3 feet) it looks like it would be a great place to explore. I don’t see any anchoring restrictions although you’ll probably encounter a lot of crab pots and pound nets. The main thing is if you do go ashore to be sure to dock or beach your boat or dinghy at a designated public landing and to otherwise honor the rules and operating hours of the refuge.

If you want the natural beauty of the refuge with more depth and greater protection from the fetch of the river, going a couple of miles up to Grays Inn Creek is a great alternative.

Scandium 04-02-2019 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PalmettoSailor (Post 2051590722)
https://thesailingacademy.com

The owner was in our Sailing Association. Really nice family.

I rented from there. A disgustingly filthy boat with an overheating engine that stopped constantly, so we barely got out. All I got was a lame "sorry about that". Definitely not worth the price. They also require ASA 103. But if you find nothing else I suppose it's a boat..

Also try www.boatsetter.com
I rented 'shady lady', which was a lovely boat in Galesville. With all the boats on boatsetter it's up to the owner, so you have to convince them you know what you're doing and won't wreak it.. Most are also bit bigger, 27 ft+

4arch 04-02-2019 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scandium (Post 2051593350)
I rented 'shady lady', which was a lovely boat in Galesville.

That's my old boat! If the old owner has kept it up, I can confirm it's a nice Lippincott 30.

Scandium 04-02-2019 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4arch (Post 2051593368)
That's my old boat! If the old owner has kept it up, I can confirm it's a nice Lippincott 30.

Wow, small world! Somebody sailed past us yelling that a Lipp 30 was their first boat, maybe it was you..? :grin
Yes it was well kept, and a very nice boat. You can see some photos of it on boatsetter. He's actually selling it now, at least was last fall.

Scandium 04-02-2019 04:32 PM

Quote:

For smaller boats there's this MacGregor 26 near DC
https://www.boatsetter.com/boats/tss...&package_type=
I'd also look at the hunter 25 there, "sea++". I was going to rent it last year but storm canceled it, owner was nice guy. Good price.

Annapolis sailing school rent out their 24ft rainbows for 1/2 or full day, $200 or so I think. Only require a 101 cert.

travlin-easy 04-02-2019 05:06 PM

Two weeks ago, I launched my Morgan 33 OI and motored 17 miles from the mouth of the Susquehanna River to the top of the North East River to Bay Boat Works to have some repairs done. The weather cooperated, but by the time I arrived, I was shivering like a hound dog pooping peach pits. I need temperatures higher than my age! ;)

The repairs will take about a month, then this old fart is gonna put up the sails and head down Chesapeake Bay for the Atlantic, might make the Delmarva Loop, or just might sail down to South Carolina to visit some friends. My health issues will determine all this, and the past six months has been pure Hell. The lungs are a lot worse, I'm on supplemental O2 24/7, my back and shot, and some other issues recently popped up. Gettin' old ain't fer wimps and sissies!

I rarely am on the forum anymore, though I hope to see many of you while out cruising this summer.

All the best,

Gary

chef2sail 04-02-2019 05:12 PM

Great seeing you Gary

That means the three older members...JeffH, you and I have been on the water already.
Where are the rest of you?

Don0190 04-02-2019 06:20 PM

Gary nice to see you are still with us.

slap 04-03-2019 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chef2sail (Post 2051593420)
Great seeing you Gary

That means the three older members...JeffH, you and I have been on the water already.
Where are the rest of you?

Launching today. But no sailing for a week, until I get the new mainsail.