2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - SailNet Community
 66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 192 Old 12-27-2018 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Can the mods make this thread a sticky as they always do please

It's a new year (almost) and the most posted in Sailnet continuous thread lives on. Happy New Year, good health and safet travels to all😄🤘🌪

Our plans this year include a 3 week trip at the end May to the Long Island Sound and the Mystic, Greenport, Sag Harbor and Newport areas. Hopefully we meet up with some native SN up there ( SanderO are you listening)

Also a traditional 13 day mid September excursion to the the southern Chesapeake reaches , including Yorktown, Hampton Roads, Northern Neck of Virginia stops

Anyone planning any interesting excursionions.
markdthorne likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 192 Old 12-27-2018
Trailer Sailer Moderator

Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

I feel so scandalous posting in this thread five days early!

I don't have anything planned for 2019 yet, except a soft reservation for the Pirates and Wenches weekend. I want to get out more this year, and maybe try a solo trip or two. Oh, and more boat work. New plex ports, and new paint on the inside.

~ Rezz

S/v DreamWeaver
1980 Laguna Windrose 22
post #3 of 192 Old 12-28-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Anyone planning any interesting excursionions.
Interesting contraction of two words: excursion and onions. Mixing travel and food...I like it.

Our next "excursionions" is up to Annapolis to check out a couple of Catalina 42 MK's and a Catalina 40. Unless there are compelling reasons not to consider these models (I know..This may be opening a rabbit hole so please be kind).

Hoping to find our first cruiser (we have been dingy racers) and use it extensively around The Bay for the next two years after which I get to retire and then cruise the east coast.

post #4 of 192 Old 12-28-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImGary01 View Post
Interesting contraction of two words: excursion and onions. Mixing travel and food...I like it.

Our next "excursionions" is up to Annapolis to check out a couple of Catalina 42 MK's and a Catalina 40. Unless there are compelling reasons not to consider these models (I know..This may be opening a rabbit hole so please be kind).

Hoping to find our first cruiser (we have been dingy racers) and use it extensively around The Bay for the next two years after which I get to retire and then cruise the east coast.
Good luck on your search. Do you have a good surveyor?

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #5 of 192 Old 12-29-2018

Hey Chef,

We do not have a surveyor yet. We are absolutely open to suggestions since we don't know anyone in the business. Feel free to IM me if you don't want to put names out there in public.
post #6 of 192 Old 12-29-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImGary01 View Post
Hey Chef,

We do not have a surveyor yet. We are absolutely open to suggestions since we don't know anyone in the business. Feel free to IM me if you don't want to put names out there in public.
Tarn Kelsey
David Manning
Derek Rhymes

I have no business relationships with any of them

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

The Following User Says Thank You to chef2sail For This Useful Post:
ImGary01 (12-31-2018)
post #7 of 192 Old 12-30-2018
Daniel - Norsea 27

Here's hoping my refit allows me to launch sometime this year.

Maybe I can get out on the dinghy.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
post #8 of 192 Old 12-31-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Tarn Kelsey
David Manning
Derek Rhymes

I have no business relationships with any of them
Thanx Chef. I will perform an internet search to see if I can get their contact info.
post #9 of 192 Old 12-31-2018

I have no problem with the models you're interested in, so long as you use them in the way that they were intended. Coastal cruisers with occasional hops to offshore islands. There may be better boats for crossing oceans, but that would come at the cost of interior space and some creature comforts. For ocean crossing, you'd want more storage and less space, and hull forms that deal with ocean conditions. There's lots of debate here about that.

Be sure you know what you're getting into with maintenance and upkeep. Going from dinghy sailing to 40-42' is a big hop. The issue isn't whether you can sail safety - that's the easy part. It's all about maintenance and storage expense.

It's important to consider a surveyor's style when selecting one. Do you want to follow him around during the survey and learn from him, or leave him alone and let him do his thing by himself. Some surveyors are less patient with inquisitive owners.

Curt Sarratt did a good job for me 3 years ago, and knows Catalinas very well.

I had very good recommendations for and phone conversations with Bob Skord and Robert Noyce, but both had scheduling conflicts that prevented me from considering them.

Chef's suggestions are all on my list of good people from 3 years ago.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
The Following User Says Thank You to TakeFive For This Useful Post:
ImGary01 (12-31-2018)
post #10 of 192 Old 12-31-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
It's important to consider a surveyor's style when selecting one. Do you want to follow him around during the survey and learn from him, or leave him alone and let him do his thing by himself. Some surveyors are less patient with inquisitive owners.
TakeFive,

I'm definitely one that wants to shadow my surveyor. I expect there to be problems with any boat so if the surveyor points them out to me as he/she is going through the boat, 1.) I will better understand the problem and 2.) I will be putting together a list of things that I can tackle and those that I cannot and finally 3.) prioritizing fixes that cannot wait (i.e safety) and those that can. I understand they are there to do a job and would not slow them down any more than I have to but I need to know what the boat has in store for me.

I don't have any inclination to cross oceans, at least not until I have been cruising the East coast for many years. The plan is to visit with my daughter in Boston for the summer and early Fall seasons, then head south as it gets cold. Fall in the mid-Atlantic (Chesapeake) is pretty spectacular, then head to Charleston for the winter. Maybe a bit further south if the weather in Charleston is not to my liking. Primarily, I'm looking for a coastal cruiser, light to medium displacement, capable of being sailed short handed and with good performance characteristics.

I forgot to mention that I have also completed the ASA 101 and 103 courses and taken several cruises on an Island packet 32 so I'm not completely out of my element on a cruising boat.

Many thanks for your input.

Last edited by ImGary01; 12-31-2018 at 03:03 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in