Looking for our next boat, I just want to chat - SailNet Community
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 Old 02-14-2019 Thread Starter

Looking for our next boat, I just want to chat

My wife and I have never stepped foot a boat, we want to quit our jobs and sail around the world. What boat should we buy?

JUST kidding….I am about the opposite of that as you can get. I was just about born on a powerboat (boating on inland lakes and Lake Huron every since). Decided to make the switch to a sailboat about four years ago. Since that time. I’ve read most every post related to sailboat buying and ownership at sailnet. I bought most of the books I have seen recommended here on the subject. I’ve taken ASA classes 101, 103 & 104. I bought Chrysler Buccaneer 18. I sail & race on it all I can. I’ve sailed on a wide variety of keelboats since too….

After all that rambling here’s what I want to chat about. We are house shopping in Virginia for a home on the Chessy and a sailboat to go with it. My first thought about boating in the Bay was. We’d be day sailing as much as possible and 3 or 4 times a season doing one to two weeks of sailing up and down checking out every town we could. I was thinking a 40’+ boat with 100K or more as all in budget.

House hunting has been more of a challenge than we ever imagined. And having now sailed on the bay a few times with my wife. I'm doubting we’ll ever spend more than few nights a season on the boat. That has me thinking about looking at a boat more in low 30’ range about half the budget. Then charting a larger boat for those few extended trips. I’d love to get some feedback on that change.

Also, what will 50K get in the way of good sound day sailor for the bay? What specifics boats to look for? I hate to says it but it needs to pretty easy to sail with in-mast boom or mast mainsail furling, a furling jib. The other requirement shallow draft (unless we really get lucky and find a home with 6’ or more MLW)

Chrysler Buccaneer 18

If you want to save the world...eat farm-raised oysters!

“Every man dies. Not every man really lives.” – William Wallace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 02-14-2019

Re: Looking for our next boat, I just want to chat

The furling main requirement will eliminate >98% of the very nice boats available.
post #3 of 47 Old 02-14-2019

I have chartered a Beneteau 373 and Jeanneau 40 that had in mast furling. That is about the size where you will see such a feature. The B373 is at least $100k.

I think you should look at other feature other than in mast furling to try to make thing easier.

Jiffy Reefing
Stack Pack
Self tending jib
Lazy jacks.

When I think of very nice easy to sail gentleman boats I think of Alerions but even a 28 footer would be out of your price range. I am interested in seeing what others recommend for a nice 30 footer. $50k is a nice chunk of change for a 30 foot boat.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 47 Old 02-14-2019

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...dard%20listing

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to jephotog For This Useful Post:
JoCoSailor (02-14-2019)
post #5 of 47 Old 02-14-2019

If ease of main sail handling is a priority, how about a Hinterholler Nonsuch 30, 33 or 36. You should be able to pick one up within your budget they are pretty roomy for their size and the draft is under 6'.
flyrod likes this.
post #6 of 47 Old 02-15-2019

Don’t get hung up on a furling main, just because you’re single handing. A stack pack or Dutchman system will get the job done too. You may prefer one over the other, but they all truly have pros and cons.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
JoCoSailor (02-15-2019)
post #7 of 47 Old 02-15-2019

Another vote to ditch the in-mast furling. 50K is a very generous budget for a thirty footer. You could get a 90s-vintage Sabre for much less.

If I could justify it, I'd run get this Tartan for myself:

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197...an-30-3505711/
post #8 of 47 Old 02-15-2019

I’m also going to chime it to say that I don’t think a furling main would be necessary. I would prefer lazy jacks and a stack pack

On 40+ foot boats the main starts to get pretty heavy so hoisting it becomes an issue, but on a 30 foot boat it’s no problem, you might not even need a winch except to tension it at the end.

And to lower the main? Head to wind, open the clutch, watch the main drop and flop. It’s just that easy.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #9 of 47 Old 02-15-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
I have chartered a Beneteau 373 and Jeanneau 40 that had in mast furling. That is about the size where you will see such a feature. The B373 is at least $100k.

I think you should look at other feature other than in mast furling to try to make thing easier.

Jiffy Reefing
Stack Pack
Self tending jib
Lazy jacks.

When I think of very nice easy to sail gentleman boats I think of Alerions but even a 28 footer would be out of your price range. I am interested in seeing what others recommend for a nice 30 footer. $50k is a nice chunk of change for a 30 foot boat.
Okay so I've only sailed on one 2 or 3 boats with lazy jacks, and granted I'm not that experienced, but I was with an instructor. They were a PITA to get the sail down and keep the battens the right side of the lines. I just envision the end of a great relationship with my wife doing it . I have not seen a Stack Pack. are they easier than Lazy Jacks? Or since I'm already conceding performance, maybe a main with no battens solves the problem.....

Chrysler Buccaneer 18

post #10 of 47 Old 02-15-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicory83 View Post
If ease of main sail handling is a priority, how about a Hinterholler Nonsuch 30, 33 or 36. You should be able to pick one up within your budget they are pretty roomy for their size and the draft is under 6'.
Hinterholler Nonsuch?? I never heard of them, but is why I'm wanting to have this conversion....I really appreciate all the thoughts so far
flyrod likes this.

Chrysler Buccaneer 18

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in