Antipoison Creek - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 36 Old 02-19-2019 Thread Starter

Re: Antipoison Creek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
They aren't very complicated boats. Hobie is pretty good at making user freindly boats. They may look a little unusual for folks not used to trimarans or pedal drives.

If you look at the rig, there isnt much to it. No head sail, no boom, sail furls/reefs around the mast. All control lines are lead, by the factory to the cockpit so the entire boat is sailed from a comfortable, forward facing seated position. No hiking, no changing sides when you tack, no jib to trim, everything is self tacking. If the wind dies you need not fuss with an outboard, just start pedaling like you are on a bicycle, except, that you are still in your comfy seated position.
Arcb, I would not have pegged as a commission saleman.... JUST KIDDING! As always I really appreciate your insight. That all sound pretty good. Guess I was thinking I'd get some time under my belt just getting in and out, and paddling a kayak before I try sailing one.

Question for you (I guess it's okay to hi-jack my own thread). What do think about 2 person kayaks? I heard or read somewhere that it can be a challenge...

Chrysler Buccaneer 18

If you want to save the world...eat farm-raised oysters!

“Every man dies. Not every man really lives.” – William Wallace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 36 Old 02-19-2019

Oops, ya I think I did drift your thread, but I was thinking about the power lines and our previous conversation.

Definitely not a Hobie salesman, I dont even own a Hobie in my mixed fleet of small boats, but I do really admire their innovation, especially their innovation with regards to boats that are both user freindly and fun.

I like tandem kayaks. They have some pros and cons. I would say they are easier to get into than a solo. You do it like a canoe. One person balances the boat while the other gets in, then rolls reverse. Down side is most are brutes to paddle solo. You kind of need both people. You would almost want two kayaks. A solo for yourself, and a tandem for when your wife wants to join you.
post #13 of 36 Old 02-19-2019

Watching people around here, two singles makes more sense.
Arcb likes this.

post #14 of 36 Old 02-19-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Oops, ya I think I did drift your thread, but I was thinking about the power lines and our previous conversation.

Definitely not a Hobie salesman, I dont even own a Hobie in my mixed fleet of small boats, but I do really admire their innovation, especially their innovation with regards to boats that are both user freindly and fun.

I like tandem kayaks. They have some pros and cons. I would say they are easier to get into than a solo. You do it like a canoe. One person balances the boat while the other gets in, then rolls reverse. Down side is most are brutes to paddle solo. You kind of need both people. You would almost want two kayaks. A solo for yourself, and a tandem for when your wife wants to join you.
You're all good. I'm just the kind of guy that is alway's like to give friends a hard time! Beside's I doubt they be many folks here really looking for information about Antipoison Creek.

Interesting about the tandem kayaks. I do have a friend(if you can believe that) that is into kayaking. Now that you have given me the kayak bug. I'm doing to hit him up for some time on his.

Chrysler Buccaneer 18

Last edited by JoCoSailor; 02-19-2019 at 02:37 PM.
post #15 of 36 Old 02-19-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
We are also looking in the Northern Neck area of Virginia when we retire in a few years.
Check out Indian and Dymer Creeks also
Waterfront houses are very inexpensive
Very few stores close by
chef2sail, thanks for that tip. We did find one house we really liked on Dividing Creek. Over 100 trees on the property and few other things keep us from making an offer.

Have you sailed around the Northern Neck much? Would love to hear your thoughts about sailing there.

We've only been on the water around there twice. Both times really enjoyed sailing on the Rappahannock River. One time on the bay, the was 10+ winds out of the north, coming all the way down the bay, that was a little different story. Not that it was too bad to sail, and if we're going someplace it'd be fine. And I'll admit it for a daysail I'd rather not..
Also, once we are there, we hope to get non-sailing family and friends out on the water. I'm afraid if the bay in good winds was their first time out I might have a hard time getting them out again.

Chrysler Buccaneer 18

post #16 of 36 Old 02-19-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoCoSailor View Post
I'm doing to hit him up for some time on his.
Thats the way I did it. I had been away from kayaking for 10-12 years and happened across a couple of Krugers with batwing sails while I was out adventuring. It got the gears going in my head, but I found out a Kruger runs about $7-8k and a batwing sail another $1k plus. There was no way I was going to jump into an untested sport for $8k+. So I kind of forgot about it and went sailing.

Until one day, a buddy invited me out for a paddle on his tandem Seaward with a wind paddle sail. I loved it, so asked my buddy where the best place to get a boat was and he said, take my spare! I paddled his spare while I paddled a bunch of demo boats and did a bunch of research.

In the end, I was able to put my boat together, including sail rig for about $1300 for a nearly new boat and a new sail rig. It can be done for much less though if you start with a small recreational Kayak. Maybe $300-400.

But start with OPBs, especially your buddies and kayak dealer demo days. Try sit on, sit on top, solo, tandem. If you end up buying a bigger yacht, you can keep your kayak on deck for exploring and adventuring.
post #17 of 36 Old 02-19-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
If you end up buying a bigger yacht, you can keep your kayak on deck for exploring and adventuring.
I hope we wind up living on or near enough to water. I can start every day with 30 "row" on it

Chrysler Buccaneer 18

post #18 of 36 Old 02-19-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoCoSailor View Post
chef2sail, thanks for that tip. We did find one house we really liked on Dividing Creek. Over 100 trees on the property and few other things keep us from making an offer.

Have you sailed around the Northern Neck much? Would love to hear your thoughts about sailing there.

We've only been on the water around there twice. Both times really enjoyed sailing on the Rappahannock River. One time on the bay, the was 10+ winds out of the north, coming all the way down the bay, that was a little different story. Not that it was too bad to sail, and if we're going someplace it'd be fine. And I'll admit it for a daysail I'd rather not..
Also, once we are there, we hope to get non-sailing family and friends out on the water. I'm afraid if the bay in good winds was their first time out I might have a hard time getting them out again.
We’ve sailed the northern neck quite a few times. There are a number of sailors on SN from that area also.

If you reread some of last years 2018 Chesapeake thread you will see posts from a few who take summer trips down that area. ( I think T37chef was one). I suggest you get a cheaper waterway guide as well as active captain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
The Following User Says Thank You to chef2sail For This Useful Post:
JoCoSailor (02-20-2019)
post #19 of 36 Old 02-20-2019

We keep our 30 foot Pearson at Yankee Point. That's on Myer Creek which is a tributary of the Corrotoman River. The Corrotman offers excellent sheltered sailing opportunities for days that the weather out on the Rappahannock is uninviting.

If you head upriver on the Rapp you can easily visit the town of Urbanna. Urbanna has a nice anchorage as well as a town marina. The town offers a free public dinghy dock as is very boater friendly.

Downriver on the Rapp is two hours to the bay. Here you can turn left and explore all the creeks that empty info Fleets Bay and also head up to Reedville. Turn right around Stingray Point and you have access to the south side of Deltaville via Jackson Creek and Fishing Bay. If you go out in the bay you can be at Tangier Island, Onancock, Cape Charles, and Yorktown. Also Mobjack Bay, which is huge.

I hope this helps. If you have any specific questions about any of these locations, ask away, it's snowing today.
JoCoSailor likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to CLOSECALL For This Useful Post:
JoCoSailor (02-20-2019)
post #20 of 36 Old 02-20-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLOSECALL View Post
We keep our 30 foot Pearson at Yankee Point. That's on Myer Creek which is a tributary of the Corrotoman River. The Corrotoman offers excellent sheltered sailing opportunities for days that the weather out on the Rappahannock is uninviting.

I hope this helps. If you have any specific questions about any of these locations, ask away, it's snowing today.
You may be sorry you made that offer

First, do you pronounce Corrotoman with an A like it was CArro-to-man...I've been told if I don't, folks there will look at me funny....

Your opening sentence is more what I wondering about (sailing conditions/water state). Sounds like there would be many more days "pleasant" days for having an afternoon/sunset sail. Where you are vs one of the creeks on the SE side on the NN that puts you right out on the bay.

On our last trip out we rented a home the water, close to Mollusk, on Bayview Dr. Do you use the Marry Pt ferry much? Does it save any time? I won't ask what you think of Devils bottom rd. I do wonder if you mind being on that side of the Corrotoman? We are VERY spoiled now, living in a great suburb of KC. Every store you'd ever want is 5 minutes away. We are ready to give that up, but I think it was a was close to 30-minute drive into Kilmarnock. So something on the other side of the river looks more appealing....(Boy are we picky or what? :-) )

Thanks again
Lew

Chrysler Buccaneer 18

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in