Antipoison Creek - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 36 Old 02-20-2019

Re: Antipoison Creek

I think the important thing is to accent the TO and pronounce it with a long "O" like in toe.

There is plenty of great sailing on the Corrotoman and sheltered anchorages. A quick sail out to the Rappahannock offers the best sunsets.

I use the ferry whenever I can. It shortens the trip to town and the operators are interesting to talk with.

To be clear, I live in the western mountains of Virginia. The narrow winding roads and slower pace of things appeals to me. You might be more content on the Kilmarnock side.
JoCoSailor likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to CLOSECALL For This Useful Post:
JoCoSailor (02-20-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 Old 02-20-2019 Thread Starter

Oh, so it's snowing in the mountains of Virginia and not near Kilmarnock....We have not checked the mountains. Can't wait until we time to do that! I've heard there's not any snow skiing there, is that right?

"The narrow winding roads and slower pace of things appeals to me" from your fingers to my brain. I sure I'm saying that within a month of living there.

Chrysler Buccaneer 18

If you want to save the world...eat farm-raised oysters!

“Every man dies. Not every man really lives.” – William Wallace
post #23 of 36 Old 02-20-2019

There are several ski areas in Virginia and West Virginia.
The Following User Says Thank You to CLOSECALL For This Useful Post:
JoCoSailor (02-20-2019)

post #24 of 36 Old 02-20-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoCoSailor View Post
You may be sorry you made that offer

First, do you pronounce Corrotoman with an A like it was CArro-to-man...I've been told if I don't, folks there will look at me funny....

Your opening sentence is more what I wondering about (sailing conditions/water state). Sounds like there would be many more days "pleasant" days for having an afternoon/sunset sail. Where you are vs one of the creeks on the SE side on the NN that puts you right out on the bay.

On our last trip out we rented a home the water, close to Mollusk, on Bayview Dr. Do you use the Marry Pt ferry much? Does it save any time? I won't ask what you think of Devils bottom rd. I do wonder if you mind being on that side of the Corrotoman? We are VERY spoiled now, living in a great suburb of KC. Every store you'd ever want is 5 minutes away. We are ready to give that up, but I think it was a was close to 30-minute drive into Kilmarnock. So something on the other side of the river looks more appealing....(Boy are we picky or what? :-) )

Thanks again
Lew
I would not call Kilmarnok a big city. It's actually quite the opposite

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #25 of 36 Old 02-20-2019

Unless you compare it to Mollusk.
chef2sail and JoCoSailor like this.
post #26 of 36 Old 02-21-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I would not call Kilmarnok a big city. It's actually quite the opposite
What do mean not a big city? I think it has 6 or 7 stop lights, a super Walmart, both Walgreen & CVS, a couple of banks, McDonald's, at least one really good restaurant (Carwash) a few other good ones, a nice coffee shop, heck there is even a sushi place, a wine shop, sporting goods, jewelry, furniture etc ......your right, compared to where we live now it is quite small. But I'd rather be 10 - 15 minutes away from it than 30.....

Chrysler Buccaneer 18

post #27 of 36 Old 02-21-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoCoSailor View Post
What do mean not a big city? I think it has 6 or 7 stop lights, a super Walmart, both Walgreen & CVS, a couple of banks, McDonald's, at least one really good restaurant (Carwash) a few other good ones, a nice coffee shop, heck there is even a sushi place, a wine shop, sporting goods, jewelry, furniture etc ......your right, compared to where we live now it is quite small. But I'd rather be 10 - 15 minutes away from it than 30.....
The restaurants are not good. Best one is in Urbanna close by. When the VFW or a burger joint I see the best restaurant....well take it down a notch.

We are looking in that area because we feel we can get to DC, Richmond, Norfolk , Annapolis in less than 1.5 hours. I don't want a life devoid of cultural places, museums etc.

The southern Bay has tons of creeks and hidey holes for gunkholing. The prices for a waterfront with the boat docked out front are very reasonable and about 65% of those in this area . Less snow and ice. Northern and Mid Chessie are still reachable. Lastly easy out the Chesapeake Bay to the Atlantic for our off more trips to New England and the LI Sound

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #28 of 36 Old 02-21-2019

Quote:
The restaurants are not good. Best one is in Urbanna close by. When the VFW or a burger joint I see the best restaurant....well take it down a notch.

We are looking in that area because we feel we can get to DC, Richmond, Norfolk , Annapolis in less than 1.5 hours. I don't want a life devoid of cultural places, museums etc.

The southern Bay has tons of creeks and hidey holes for gunkholing. The prices for a waterfront with the boat docked out front are very reasonable and about 65% of those in this area . Less snow and ice. Northern and Mid Chessie are still reachable. Lastly easy out the Chesapeake Bay to the Atlantic for our off more trips to New England and the LI Sound
Relatively speaking, Kilmarnock is the biggest town in the area. Its been a while since Ive be down there, but there used to be a great Mexican Place, a decent Steak Place and decent BBQ place along with the aforementioned fast food/burger places.

Urbanna has some decent places but some are only open weekends at least in the past and its a long haul down to enter the Bay though there are some nice destinations on the Rapp.

Deltaville used to have several reasonably decent restaurants, but most have closed or are struggling to survive with food and service being very much hit or miss.

If I was going to live in that area, being close to Kilmarnock would be a plus, even if I had to drive to the boat at a marina to have it closer to the Bay. If the amenities of Kilmarnock aren't enough, no place on the NN or MP is going to please.
JoCoSailor likes this.

PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36
The Following User Says Thank You to PalmettoSailor For This Useful Post:
JoCoSailor (02-22-2019)
post #29 of 36 Old 02-22-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:

Wow and I thought I was a tough food critic. I'm no chef, but before I got into sailing. Food and cooking was my primary passion. I've met, cooked with, and competed against some great local chefs, was certified as a BBQ judge. We seek out great restaurants when we traveling. Anyway just try to say I'm no marshmallow when comes to rating restaurants. Now back to Kilmarnock and places to eat in the area.

I think the Car Wash Café is very good. The sushi place (I don't know the name) was good. I'd eat at The Dub Shack any time. KC’s Crabs and Cues yes, it's bar food, but it's fine, the crabs were cooked ok. The food from Carried Away Cuisine is good. Have not eaten at Lancaster Tavern, NN Burgers, locals have recommended both. It's Short ride to The Tides Inn...might be overpriced but have had a couple great meals there. I've heard dinners at Dining Hall of The Hope and Glory Inn are overrated.
The only place we have eaten in Urbanna was Urbanna Seafood Market & Raw Bar. I'd go back any time.

The Table at Wilton in Deltaville is well worth the drive and Cafe by The Bay had great breakfast rolls.

Merroir is my favorite restaurant in the area.

Could not agree more on your second and third points. The proximity to culture, history, water, food, and the weather. Is what first lead us to look in the area

Good luck on your house hunting (so long as you're not looking at the same range of homes we are )

Lew

Chrysler Buccaneer 18

Last edited by JoCoSailor; 02-24-2019 at 11:44 AM.
post #30 of 36 Old 02-22-2019 Thread Starter

Oh got to rambling and forgot, I wanted the mention Whitestone Oyster Company https://www.whitestoneoysters.com/ If you want fresh oysters and don't mind shucking them. I recommend checking them out. we contacted them out the blue. Joe the Operations Manager could not have nicer. I once we got there he gave us the nickel tour. Oysters were great and if you bring cash the price was more than fair to us.

I also wanted to share this article about the area Mayberry Meets Manhattan: Northern Neck - VirginiaLiving.com it's old, but I don't think things change very fast there

Chrysler Buccaneer 18

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in