SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chesapeake Bay (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/)
-   -   Antipoison Creek (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/328418-antipoison-creek.html)

JoCoSailor 02-17-2019 04:41 PM

Antipoison Creek
 
Say do any of you Chessie sailors have any knowledge of Antipoison Creek? It' on the south side of the Northen Neck of Virginia. There's "fising" operation on the Pride of Virginia Bait & Oysters (Pride of Virginia). I wonder what all goes on there.
About the Creek itself. Would/could you sail a small sailboat in there...what about kayaking on....any and all thoughts appreciated

Lew

CLOSECALL 02-17-2019 05:15 PM

Re: Antipoison Creek
 
Antipoison Creek offers quick access to Little Bay, which offers access to Fleets Bay. From Fleets Bay you can head West or northwest to Dymer Creek, Dividing Creek, and Indian Creek on the Northern Neck. If you head east you are in Chesapeake Bay.

These are all great areas. Antipoison is not navigable for very far upstream from Little Bay and not very wide. Little Bay is a very nice anchorage with a sandy beach. Fleets Bay has plenty of water and room for sailing if you don't want to venture into the Chessie.

JoCoSailor 02-17-2019 05:33 PM

Re: Antipoison Creek
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by CLOSECALL (Post 2051583848)
Antipoison Creek offers quick access to Little Bay, which offers access to Fleets Bay. From Fleets Bay you can head West or northwest to Dymer Creek, Dividing Creek, and Indian Creek on the Northern Neck. If you head east you are in Chesapeake Bay.

These are all great areas. Antipoison is not navigable for very far upstream from Little Bay and not very wide. Little Bay is a very nice anchorage with a sandy beach. Fleets Bay has plenty of water and room for sailing if you don't want to venture into the Chessie.

Wow! Thanks for all the great information! Would you know about the "branch" to the north just as you enter AP. There are power lines that cross over the creek. (see attached pic) How high are they? would you dare sail under them? (we are looking at a house in there)

CLOSECALL 02-17-2019 06:09 PM

Re: Antipoison Creek
 
From the chart one looks to be 30 feet and one 25 feet. What's your air draft?

You probably need to ask someone local. Maybe your realtor.

JoCoSailor 02-17-2019 06:31 PM

Re: Antipoison Creek
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CLOSECALL (Post 2051583868)
From the chart one looks to be 30 feet and one 25 feet. What's your air draft?

You probably need to ask someone local. Maybe your realtor.

Darn....I did not think to look on active captain. My air draft is 25' ;(... We don't live in the area. So we're just looking at pictures and google maps. I just saw the Pwrlines today. I sent an email to the realtor waiting to hear back.

Thanks again!!

Arcb 02-17-2019 08:59 PM

Re: Antipoison Creek
 
That creek looks awesome. Check it out on google earth, there are lots of decent sized power boats on docks.

A Hobie Tandem Island has a mast height of 18 feet. That will get you under the power lines. Sail it, paddle it or peddle it, alone or with your wife. Won't sail like the Buccaneer, but will hit double digit boat speeds off the wind ;)

JoCoSailor 02-17-2019 09:47 PM

Re: Antipoison Creek
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arcb (Post 2051583928)
That creek looks awesome. Check it out on google earth, there are lots of decent sized power boats on docks.

A Hobie Tandem Island has a mast height of 18 feet. That will get you under the power lines. Sail it, paddle it or peddle it, alone or with your wife. Won't sail like the Buccaneer, but will hit double digit boat speeds off the wind ;)

Hobie Tandem Island...I'll check them out. I bought the Bucc because there is following for them near this area ;). Really should never have to sail under them just really close....encluding launching within 15' of them....I fear a lee shore...lee power lines would really scare me to death.

JoCoSailor 02-18-2019 09:02 PM

Re: Antipoison Creek
 
Arcb, that Hobie Tandem Island is quite the rig...not sure I'd want to all bite that off at once...but I do like the concept,

If you liked AP creek you should check out the Corrotoman River about 7mi northwest of AP creek. We are really hoping to find a place farther up on it or one of the creeks that feed into it. Lots of protected water for small craft and easy access to Rappahannock River. Which is a great place for day sailing.....

Arcb 02-18-2019 09:22 PM

Re: Antipoison Creek
 
They aren't very complicated boats. Hobie is pretty good at making user freindly boats. They may look a little unusual for folks not used to trimarans or pedal drives.

If you look at the rig, there isnt much to it. No head sail, no boom, sail furls/reefs around the mast. All control lines are lead, by the factory to the cockpit so the entire boat is sailed from a comfortable, forward facing seated position. No hiking, no changing sides when you tack, no jib to trim, everything is self tacking. If the wind dies you need not fuss with an outboard, just start pedaling like you are on a bicycle, except, that you are still in your comfy seated position.

chef2sail 02-18-2019 10:11 PM

Re: Antipoison Creek
 
We are also looking in the Northern Neck area of Virginia when we retire in a few years.
Check out Indian and Dymer Creeks also
Waterfront houses are very inexpensive
Very few stores close by


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome