Chesapeake to Block and the LI Sound - Page 6 - SailNet Community
 52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 78 Old 05-28-2019

Re: Chesapeake to Block and the LI Sound

I`m guessing you are in Oyster Bay, not Cold Spring Harbor. Sagamore Hill is TR`s family home and was the summer White House when he was President. The complete restoration done a few years ago was really well done. It`s one of my favorite places to take out of town guests.
SanderO likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 78 Old 05-29-2019 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
I`m guessing you are in Oyster Bay, not Cold Spring Harbor. Sagamore Hill is TR`s family home and was the summer White House when he was President. The complete restoration done a few years ago was really well done. It`s one of my favorite places to take out of town guests.
Actually I am in Cold Spring Harbor . An old friend of mine is a past Commodore of Whalers Yacht Club, plus I am a past Commodore of a yacht club on the Chessie so there is some kind of reciprocity since both are members of YCA.

Second time I’ve been to TRs house. First was before the renovation. I love going there and can see why you’d take guests there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #53 of 78 Old 05-29-2019

I know where Whalers Yacht Club is. Mostly power boats from what I remember. The restaurant across the street and up a bit (Harbor Mist) is very good. And on Mondays and Tuesdays, all food is 1/2 price.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2

post #54 of 78 Old 05-29-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
I know where Whalers Yacht Club is. Mostly power boats from what I remember. The restaurant across the street and up a bit (Harbor Mist) is very good. And on Mondays and Tuesdays, all food is 1/2 price.
Very nice houses line the way in...very protected . Yes almost all members are power boaters, as is my friend lol.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #55 of 78 Old 05-29-2019 Thread Starter

Sailed down the rest of the Sound from Cold Spring Harbor, rockets thru the East River at 10+ motoring and ran smack into a dishwasher in NY Bay ( we were going to try and make Manesquan potentially) .

Saw the front combing through neR 5 so we anchored behind Atlantic Highland breakwater close to shore as the SE wind was wrapping around the corner of the highland at 20+. Marred boats were hobby horsing pretty good. At 6 the lightening and big boomers came through and washed all the salt off Haleakula which she accumulated trans versing NY Bay.

Tomorrow looks like a motorsIl down the Jersey Coast. Leaving at 5AM. Most likely Barnegat is the anchorage with and outside chance of Atlantic City if all factors line up. Friday also looks pretty benign down the coast. We will spend a few days in Cape May depending on winds in the Delaware Bay before heading up the Delaware for the Chessie. Current runs 7 hours up the river at 6AM which will allow us to take it through the C&D Canal.
SanderO likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #56 of 78 Old 05-30-2019 Thread Starter

Had a great sail down the coast after rounding Sandy Hook from Atlantic Highlands.....well that’s until Manesquan where we ran into sailors least favorite obstacle...FOG. 1/2 mile visibility.

Thank god for, chart plotter, digital radar, AIS. Many captains of boats communicating to each other. . While we have a separate AIS B and can be identified by others, at least having a Standard Horizon VHF with AIS A would be helpful. The radar also showed tracks of different vessels too.

We are in Our favorite Barnegat anchorage behind the Lighthouse. Dinner is NY Strip Steaks , Yukon gold potatoes and tomatoes and fresh mozzarella. We’ve been eating out a lot ( 6 lobster rolls , mahi, Salmon ( with SanderO) and Swordfish for me, Donna has had 4 lobster rolls, Salomon, and Stonington scallops 3 times.
We even bought scallops in the Stonington Self serve store.

If you ever get to take the ferry from Galalie ( Port Judith) there a real local seafood restaurant there that’s unreal.
SanderO likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #57 of 78 Old 05-30-2019

This sounds like it was a great trip... Do you think you would have liked more time so you were not on a tight schedule? You certainly hit a lot of great spots in LIS... and the weather was pretty good for you I suspect.

Sounds like you have a super (current) electronics package. And equipment reviews?

My old motto... it's never too late to feck up.... so keep your guard up.
JimsCAL likes this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #58 of 78 Old 05-31-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
This sounds like it was a great trip... Do you think you would have liked more time so you were not on a tight schedule? You certainly hit a lot of great spots in LIS... and the weather was pretty good for you I suspect.

Sounds like you have a super (current) electronics package. And equipment reviews?

My old motto... it's never too late to feck up.... so keep your guard up.

It has been a great trip , one of the highlights was meeting you. I agree with you we would have liked more time but coordinating three weeks off with Donna and my schedule was difficult enough.

I have 6 more weeks to use this year, but after being gone three weeks in a row my business starts to sufer. Soon this will be a non issue as we will be retired and have unlimited time.

The trip from Annapolis itself is 4 days to Atlantic Highlands of an average of 65 miles. And the same back. That’s 8 of our 21 days. As we have in a he past seven tried to concentrate on on or two areas. A three day stopover in Mystic, with side trips to Newport and Block. We got to anchor in Old Saybrooke, visit Northport , Port Washington, Cold spring Harbor. Saw the Nautilus and Teddy Roosevelt’s house. That’s a lot of touristy stuff.

Ate our fill of cold water lobster and seafood, though we have good seafood in Annapolis of a different type. Had some seriously good meals. One with you , the dive at the ferry in Pt Judith, Fords in Mystic I’d recommend to others. Also the Red Parrot in Newport....best lobster roll.

Best of all my wife and I got to spend some quality time together. This is always the goal of our vacations. I haven’t thought about work or even read one e mail for two weeks.

She improved her sailing skills in many types of situations and weather. She has much more understanding of currents , anchoring in large tidal changes, and sail trip in increasing winds. We’ve gotten to sail a lot.

With 6 more days to go. Been a great trip weather wise too.

To others if they get a chance to meet up with you do it. To you you have a buddy in Annapolis should you ever venture this way to explore the Chesapeake. A very different experience with many anchorages everywhere and virtually no moorings. Great towns like Havre de Grace, Rock Hall, Baltimore , St Micheals, Solomon’s, Yorktown to name a few. Lots of history too as the first colony Jamestown is at it mouth.
SanderO likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #59 of 78 Old 05-31-2019 Thread Starter

Safe and sound in Cape May.
Fantastic sail over 6 knots...wind from the west and the SE. covered 64 miles.

I am a proponent of having the main raised when traversing and inlet in case of emergency....and today exiting Barnegat the alternator belt broke. It was benign conditions but Barnegat isn’t a very nice place. While the main was powering us out we had time to quick unfurl the jib and get out a couple miles and away from the inlets influence so I could mutter a thousand curse words and change the belt.

All the time Donna went down the coast on main alone till I finished. We still made Cape May in 13 hours.

Managed to see many dolphin pods and even a huge green turtle sunning himself on the surface

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #60 of 78 Old 05-31-2019

Kinda disappointed that I didn’t get to meet chef while he was in Mystic. Hope that other SNers coming to Mystic check with me if I can be of assistance.
SanderO and ottos like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in