Chesapeake to Block and the LI Sound - Page 7 - SailNet Community
 52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 78 Old 06-01-2019 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Chesapeake to Block and the LI Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
Kinda disappointed that I didn’t get to meet chef while he was in Mystic. Hope that other SNers coming to Mystic check with me if I can be of assistance.
Equally disappointed. Actually left a day early due to weather concerns developing tp permit us to go down the Jersey coast. Rest assured next time there we will meet up.

Of course if your ever down in the Annapolis area , be it on a trip or the boat show we must share a beer, coffee or a dinner.

Thanks for you recommendations as they were helpful. Also the marina we stayed in was top notch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 78 Old 06-01-2019 Thread Starter

Tomorrow we are leaving Cape May a day early at 5AM for the slog up the Delaware as Monday and Tuesday strong north winds against the current will play havoc and create the infamous Delaware square wave alt3 second intervals and ki,CG the crap out of us.

Those same W- NW winds will help us sail down the Chessie

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #63 of 78 Old 06-02-2019 Thread Starter

Heading up Delaware Bay and River with a 2-3 knot assist. Spotted many pods of Dolphins. Hoping to make at least Chesapeake City before the front comes through.
SanderO likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #64 of 78 Old 06-04-2019 Thread Starter

My last three posts appear to have gone into the ether

Sunday we marched up the Delaware, no green heads and we arrived at Chesapeake City one hour before a vicious T storm ushering in the cold front. Positives about the anchorage...its dredged.....free dock if you can get on it. Negatives ...idiots anchoring on top of each other in 18 foot runabouts...2 dozen. Ultra loud tiki bar with Karaoke. The bass sounded like it was in our boat.
The TStorm had everyone leave at once before it as the runabouts tried to outrun the gust front. Winds blew over the umbrella at the bar having them flying into the water. Was a circus.

We saw 60 mph gusts and pouring rain from 15 minutes ....the silence for the rest of the night. Mr Rocna never moved nor did the other two sailboats. I can’t imagine being anchored here with all those people. If not for the thunderstorm we were prepared to keep going with the current to 1- Town Point 2- yacht club by Turkey Point. Moorings, 3 Betterton on Sassafras, 4 Stiill Pond or 5 inside Worton. Had a nice meal of Cape May fresh caught tuna we grilled with Asian lime wasabi butter.

Monday we moved down from Chesapeake City, fueled at Schaffer’s and sailed in a rising westerly to Worton.
Lots of Hawks and bald eagles everywhere. Nice quiet anchorage . vested on Cape May swordfish and golden potatoes with Caesar Salad.

Today we sailed to Mill Creek by Annapolis , 1 mile from our marina. Anchored close to JeffH house. Taking the dinghy to celebrate our return by getting Hardshell blue crabs for Donna to smash and crab cakes for me. 939 miles on the trip plus one tomorrow.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #65 of 78 Old 06-05-2019 Thread Starter

Beautiful night on Mill Creek anchored close to JeffH house. My wife enjoyed Cantlers which wasn’t as crowded on a Tuesday night as the zoo Saturday and Sunday are. Dinghyed over and took a nice ride afterwards.

Gave us time to collect the stuff on Haleakula for our last day today. 20 days can be a lot of laundry. We did some in Mystic, but Still a lot unloaded at the dock today. Donna judged food supplies perfectly with a couple tomatoes and frozen shrimp left.

We arrived at our marina around noon. Greeted by the bald eagle in the tree next to it.

All in all Haleakula performed well. Aside from on alternator belt breaking just after exiting Barnegat Inlet no other equipment failures in the approx 950 miles.

Spent $145 in diesel. Our Yanmar 3GM is a miser.

We went to a slip in iCape May2) and Mystic (3) in the 20 days. 15 days either anchoring or moorings

Ports of call : Reedy Island , Delaware, Cape May, Barnegat Light, Port Washington, Old Saybrooke North Cove, Mystic , ( Newport, Block Island , Groton by rented car in Mystic) ,Port Jefferson, Cold Spring Harbor, Atlantic Highlands, Chesapeake City, Worton Creek, Mill Creek off Whitehall Bay.

Weather was perfect, even a tough cool on some days. Lots of real sailing. Our new Doyle 135 got a workout.

Our 100 amp Balmar with ACR kept our 720 Ah 6-6 volt Lifelines well charged.

Was a great experience for my wife and I and helped with our bonding as work sometimes takes up entirely too much of our time and attention.

My wife increased her skill exponentially in handling the boat and navigation. she’s much better at anchoring as she has the helm. Her concepts and understanding of current /tide grew as we have so little on our home grounds the Chesapeake. We gained new respect for NY Bay as we had the current both times, but the wind really stirred it up. Reminded us about our Potomac crossings with good winds.

Little Maui ( our dinghy with the Tahatsu. Propane (5hp) performed flawlessly . My wife’s designed and sewed side panels kept us warm and protect on some days from cold winds and certainly during the T storms.

Had a great time.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #66 of 78 Old 06-05-2019

Glad you had a good trip. Welcome back.

FWIW, many C34 owners have upgraded to 100A alternators. Many have had issues that were best remedied by adding a second belt. The added stress from the bigger alternator often causes slippage and/or breakage. You might want to check into this - I haven’t studied it much because it’s not relevant to me.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #67 of 78 Old 06-05-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post

FWIW, many C34 owners have upgraded to 100A alternators. Many have had issues that were best remedied by adding a second belt. The added stress from the bigger alternator often causes slippage and/or breakage. You might want to check into this - I haven’t studied it much because it’s not relevant to me.
I changed to the Balmar 2 years ago with excellent results. I also changed the pulleys and went to a toothed belt. The ACR has two temp monitors, the alternator and the batteries as well as belt tension. It’s a three stage outside regulator .

What engine is the C34...hp?

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #68 of 78 Old 06-05-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post

Looking online the early Catalina 34 used a 23 hp Universal. Underpowered.
A 100 amp would suck 2-3 hp from that.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #69 of 78 Old 06-05-2019

I think the M30 is a very good match for that boat.
post #70 of 78 Old 06-05-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
I think the M30 is a very good match for that boat.
The early ones were M25

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in