Chesapeake to Block and the LI Sound - Page 8 - SailNet Community
 52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 78 Old 06-05-2019

Re: Chesapeake to Block and the LI Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
The early ones were M25
Over the ~30 year production run of various versions of C34 , the motors ranged from 21 hp to 35 hp (I have 35 hp M35B). You’ll have to research and draw your own conclusion whether underpower is an issue, but my recollection is that the issue is too much resistance for the small surface of a standard pulley, and increasing tension to give more friction puts too much side load on the bearings and also risks breaking the belt. The answer that I saw was double pulleys and belts. There may be other solutions.

If you’re satisfied with your belt life, leave it as is.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Last edited by TakeFive; 06-05-2019 at 09:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 78 Old 06-15-2019 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Over the ~30 year production run of various versions of C34 , the motors ranged from 21 hp to 35 hp (I have 35 hp M35B). Youíll have to research and draw your own conclusion whether underpower is an issue, but my recollection is that the issue is too much resistance for the small surface of a standard pulley, and increasing tension to give more friction puts too much side load on the bearings and also risks breaking the belt. The answer that I saw was double pulleys and belts. There may be other solutions.

If youíre satisfied with your belt life, leave it as is.
I researched this pretty thoroughly .....lol like you do on things....over analyzed it too....thatís what we do😄

The new Balmar 6 series is much improved over previous 100 amp profiles.
It would be a bit much to expect a 23 hp M25 to accept the 2-3 hp draw away from the engine , and Iím sure the drag on the OEM pulleys.

The 3 GM yanmar which I have has 27 hp. Knowing issues I replaced the pulleys as well as use a good cog belt which matches them. Many sailboats using similar 3 series Yanmar engines from 27-30 hp use 80-100 amp alternators without issue. You have to match all the things up though. Pulleys , Belts etc. no need for a second belt.

It makes no sense for me to have 720 ah in batteries and use an undersized alternator, ( 50 amp original equipment) which would have to run substantially longer to recharge our battery bank if we took letís say 2 days of sailing without using the engine. That would draw approx 150 ah out of our 360 usable. Without getting into the (85% at bulk, 13% at ab) to put most of that 150 back at our old alternator 50 amp max would take almost 3 hours to get it to 85%. Running that at peak max endangers it for overheating etc, the 100 amp Balmar jams most of it back in at a substantial quicker rate. Itís part of matching your larger potentially house banks to an appropriate on board alternator charging system.

Of course your engine must be set up to accept the load with proper pulleys and I assume needs a minimum hp, which I donít think the older M25 universal has in the original C34. The newer M30 which later C34 have should be similar to our Yanmar. Perhaps thatís the comments you are seeing on the Catalina owners site.

Since we have used this 100 amp Balmar with the appropriate external Balmar AR5 and use both battery and alternator temp sensors we have been extremely satisfied. One of the great features on the AR5 for a novice ( Iím no Mainesail) like me is that itís readings give you temps of alternator, tem of batteries, belt tension, as well as charge going into the batteries in real numbers. As an amateur in this I feel it gives me good information coupled with our victron battery monitor gives me good information to manage our batteries and charging system.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner
post #73 of 78 Old 06-15-2019 Thread Starter

H7To close the loop on our trip :

20 days on the boat. Many on here have similar sized boats as our 35 so it shows a trip of three weeks can be done comfortably. At no point did we feel confined or too small. We never felt overmatched by conditions at all, and in fact on this trip had many perfect sailing days and very few motoring days. It hasnít always happened like that, but this made this trip very cool. We sailed every day on the Sound from one end to the other. Motoring out of anchorages and towns gave us plenty of time to recharge the batteries with our 100 amp charger.

Thanks to SanderO who I met😀, Fallard who provided me with great information on Mystic area where we stayed for 3 days ( next time we meet) , and Billcull, who gave me the good North Cove Olde Saybrooke info as well as offered his mooring for their commeradiere as well as friendship. The same awaits you here if you come to Annapolis for a trip or the best Sailboat show in October.

I got to visit Defender in person, got some good deals on chachkie (sp) items. Visited the Nautilus in Groton ( great tour and movies and worth seein) , and ate enough lobster in various forms to instant gout.

There are so many neat places on the LI Sound to visit, and those who have that as your sailing ground are fortunate. Each time we come up we have never been disappointed. We learned early on to try and stay a few days in one place and not make it a voyage of boat delivery, so it becomes a vacation not a journey. It takes a minimum of 14 days from our home grounds to make it worthwhile and really 3 weeks is much much better.

In planning you need to have researched alternatives as weather and conditions can change so you are not on a schedule. For those in the Chessie, where this is posted you have some dead truths.
1- 1 day to the top of the Chessie. We like Reedy to jump off the trip down the Delaware
2- 1 day to Cape May. Whether you anchor of the CG or slip at Utches and you MUST play the currents. This trip
We had to nap at Reedy and leave at Midnight. We choose to do this vrs keaving at noon and arriving in
Cape May after dark.
3- 2 days off the Jersey Coast. If you are normal Chessie cruisers and wonít do the overnight to Sandy Hook
You have only 3 perfect inlets and Barnegat if conditions are good to choose from. ( cape May, Atlantic City, Manesquan)

This puts you at Sandy Hook...doing an average of 65 miles or 12-13 hours each day for 4 days
From the Hook a day playing the current up the East River puts you in some nice towns, moorings on the Western Sound.

Thatís 5 days up and 5 days back. We always add 2 weather days too. So right there you have a minimum of 12 days. If you want to just do NY , anchor in Atlantic Highlands and take the High Speed Steak over.

That leaves us 8 days on the Sound. We actually had 10 as didnít have to use our weather days. On the Sound depending on you goals it takes 2 long days to go to the end of the Sound. Or you can break it up visiting neat towns like Northport, Olde Saybrooke, Cold Spring, Milford, . Those can be 20-30 mile jaunts or you can stay and extra day somewhere. We trave early ( we are early risers for work at 4:40 Am so getting up at 5:30 -6 and having breakfast underway is easy for us, thus we arrive at our destination by noon and have the rest of the day there. You tailor this to your preferences.

I suggest you visits one basic area so to have a real vacation. The forks ( Greenport, Sag Harbor, Sheler Island , Montauk are great places. The western end, Olde Saybrooke, Groton, Mystic, Fishers, Stonington, very cool.

Once you should do Newport or Block Island. Itís really worth it though doing the ferry ride to Block, but once on your boat should be 3xperienced. Newport is Newport. I could spend a week there easily and visit Bristol and Jamestown.

The Eastern Sound has Port Washington, very friendly for boaters. Free moorings, Northport ( always our favorite) Cold Spring, visit TR House, Port Jefferson,I changed this as I originally said Port Washington . Port Jefferson is unfriendly to boaters unless you are just anchoring there. The Conneticut side has Greenwich, Westport, Branford and our favorite Milford.

This trip is easily possible for a Chessie owner. The weather is substantially more moderate and cooler. Anchorages are hard as moorings take up best spots however moorings come with a launch service so if you donít have a dinghy you still can get off the boat. Remember tides run 5-8 ft so that affects the ride you put out., u like the Chessie. There is current also . It affects your trVel time, but more importantly wind against current means move wave action. 15-20 against current can make it a fun..or a tooth jarring ride if your direction for the day is directly into it. The Chessie you never worry about this. There is virtually zero current of tide change comparatively.

I posted this thread to encourage any Chessie sailor to take this trip and plan it for a great doable vacation. Remember you donít have to go all the way every time. Maybe start with a trip to Cape May./ Atlantic City.
Thatís a week trip. Add NY the ne t year and itís two weeks. That way you do it in steps and build your confidence.

Carry at least 40 hours of fuel. Donít try and load 2-3 weeks of provisions. Plan your stops where there are supermarkets, some are easy to reach.

I am alwYs available for advice either directly or through A PM . Most are good at planning themselves , but it always good to have someone to discuss direct experiences, recommendations. Thatís a positive of SN.

Take a chance to not only increase your sailing skills, but see other areas other than the Chessie. It has taught us after we retire that spending months in the Sou d and NE is what we will be doing, and we do t need a 45 foot boat to do it either.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 06-15-2019 at 01:13 PM.

post #74 of 78 Old 06-15-2019

Just a note chef2sail, you have eastern and western LIS mixed up in your above post. And Port Washington has the free moorings and IS friendly to boaters. A few of my favorite spots that you didn't mention - the Thimble Islands, up the CT river to Essex and Hamburg Cove, Westbrook/Duck Island (with dinner at Bill's), Watch Hill RI.

And once you know your way around, you can anchor out a lot more than you think. On my typical 2-3 week summer cruise, I will go into a slip or pay for a mooring maybe 3-4 days. I have made cruises where I anchored every night.

I do feel fortunate to have LIS and southern New England as my local cruising grounds. It's one of the main reasons I didn't move away when I retired.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
post #75 of 78 Old 06-15-2019

Another very sweet spot is the Federal anchorage at the top of Mattituck Inlet. At low tide you can carry 6 feet. There is a dinghy dock at the park and free(!) showers. Across the street there are some places to eat on Love Lane and it's not a long walk to a full-size grocery store.
post #76 of 78 Old 06-15-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
Just a note chef2sail, you have eastern and western LIS mixed up in your above post. And Port Washington has the free moorings and IS friendly to boaters. A few of my favorite spots that you didn't mention - the Thimble Islands, up the CT river to Essex and Hamburg Cove, Westbrook/Duck Island (with dinner at Bill's), Watch Hill RI.

And once you know your way around, you can anchor out a lot more than you think. On my typical 2-3 week summer cruise, I will go into a slip or pay for a mooring maybe 3-4 days. I have made cruises where I anchored every night.

I do feel fortunate to have LIS and southern New England as my local cruising grounds. It's one of the main reasons I didn't move away when I retired.
Thanks correct correcions

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #77 of 78 Old 06-15-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhwelch View Post
Another very sweet spot is the Federal anchorage at the top of Mattituck Inlet. At low tide you can carry 6 feet. There is a dinghy dock at the park and free(!) showers. Across the street there are some places to eat on Love Lane and it's not a long walk to a full-size grocery store.
Weíve been back in Mattituck a number of times. Used it when headed to the forks or back. Long way to travel inland unless going to the town, which we have and is a neat place.

Same with Hamburg Cove and Essex, which weíve visited a few times.

In posting in the Chesapeake section I was trying to draw the distinction of being able to anchor almost anywhere in the Chesapeake, while on the Sound many of the prime anchoring spots are full of moorings.

Not a criticism, but an observation. The average Chessie sailor is used to having unlimited oppertunities to anchor almost everywhere and may be not aware of the more restrictive nature in many of the more popular LI towns.

For the travel rom the Chessie why may not always have a reliable dinghy as we have my point was not how much we anchor, but also that with a mooring usually comes a lift into town 😀

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #78 of 78 Old 06-15-2019 Thread Starter

I forgot also that al ost every town has a pump out boat and in Conneticut itís free.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in