Chesapeake Cruising Guide - SailNet Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Chesapeake Cruising Guide

Hi All,
What are the general thoughts on the recommended current cruising Guide to the Chesapeake?
Thanks!
Pat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Re: Chesapeake Cruising Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatMc57 View Post
Hi All,
What are the general thoughts on the recommended current cruising Guide to the Chesapeake?
Thanks!
Pat
Cruising the Chesapeake : A Gunkholer's Guide
by William H. Shellenberger
Donna_F and Rhapsody-NS27 like this.
post #3 of 17 Old 3 Weeks Ago

You can access both ActiveCaptain and the WaterWayGuide online. These are not as good as printed resources, which have introductory sections for harbors or town, but do a better job of identifying navigational issues, as you see them on chart layovers. Both a printed book and these online tools is a real winner.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #4 of 17 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Sailnet is actually a great resource for Chesapeake Bay cruising information. We have several very active members throughout the Chesapeake who are usually more than happy to help with up to date information and help with planning cruising routes. Some of the information and advice given here is every bit as good - if not better - than what you get in any guide. So certainly if you have questions about anything Chesapeake cruising related, Sailnet is as good a place to start as any.

ActiveCaptain was great 6 or 8 years ago, but in the past 2 or 3 years the amount of new information being posted about Chesapeake locales seems to have fallen way off. WaterwayGuide online doesn't seem to have ever really taken off with much crowd sourced information in the Chesapeake. Without up to date user-generated information, these online platforms really lose a lot of their usefulness as planning tools, although we still occasionally revisit them as the information they contain is better than none at all.

Information in any printed guide will automatically be out of date by as much as a year (or more) by the time of release so they also need to be taken with a grain of salt. The guides with written narratives are nice for getting a general flavor of a town, river, or anchorage but aren't always particularly reliable for navigation or identifying which specific restaurant or ice cream store you want to visit when you get there. Over the years we've been pretty happy with the Guide to Cruising: Chesapeake Bay, which was last updated in 2017 (the edition is dated 2018). It appears the Shellenberger guide has not been updated since 2012.
chef2sail and Rhapsody-NS27 like this.
post #5 of 17 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4arch View Post
Sailnet is actually a great resource for Chesapeake Bay cruising information. We have several very active members throughout the Chesapeake who are usually more than happy to help with up to date information and help with planning cruising routes. Some of the information and advice given here is every bit as good - if not better - than what you get in any guide. So certainly if you have questions about anything Chesapeake cruising related, Sailnet is as good a place to start as any.

ActiveCaptain was great 6 or 8 years ago, but in the past 2 or 3 years the amount of new information being posted about Chesapeake locales seems to have fallen way off. WaterwayGuide online doesn't seem to have ever really taken off with much crowd sourced information in the Chesapeake. Without up to date user-generated information, these online platforms really lose a lot of their usefulness as planning tools, although we still occasionally revisit them as the information they contain is better than none at all.

Information in any printed guide will automatically be out of date by as much as a year (or more) by the time of release so they also need to be taken with a grain of salt. The guides with written narratives are nice for getting a general flavor of a town, river, or anchorage but aren't always particularly reliable for navigation or identifying which specific restaurant or ice cream store you want to visit when you get there. Over the years we've been pretty happy with the Guide to Cruising: Chesapeake Bay, which was last updated in 2017 (the edition is dated 2018). It appears the Shellenberger guide has not been updated since 2012.
Totally agree. Active Captain has relevancy only when it come to many of general info about anchorages and such. Very little updating on fuel etc of marinas. Even in the NE area we have been to

Masts suggestion is also a good one, the Gunkholers guide is excellent we have found for general Information. And the flavor of different spots.

Chesapeake Cruising Guide will be very very gloss over?

And like 4Arch said if you go back into 2018 or this thread lots of first hand Sailnetters info of spots they visit from anchorages to restaurants .

Use the Chesapeake members on this thread to ask questions to, most are very friendly. Three of the mods are from here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.- Dennis Conner
post #6 of 17 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4arch View Post
It appears the Shellenberger guide has not been updated since 2012.
Correct.

I still like it, it is the classic guide for the Chessie and I feel it gives a good feel of the different places. But it needs to be supplemented by more recent information
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.
post #7 of 17 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

This is for use as a harbor guide and shore guide..not a navigational chart...So..This is meant to be used for planning along with my paper charts.
Thank you!
post #8 of 17 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Thanks! I try not to burden our membership with the mundane...but truly appreciate the expertise on the "important"
post #9 of 17 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

As usual, all of you are my most valuable resource. I will go ahead and get the latest Gunkholer's Guide and ask all of you, and those that I run into on the Bay.
Thanks!
See you out there,
Pat
post #10 of 17 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatMc57 View Post
This is for use as a harbor guide and shore guide..not a navigational chart...So..This is meant to be used for planning along with my paper charts.
Thank you!
I think I mentioned navigational issues, but these guides can not be used to navigate. The online resources have additional marker that provide crowd sourced information that a chart may not have. Keep in mind that official charts can have data that is literally a century old. These can be things like shifting sand bars, recently sunken wrecks or fouled anchorages, if not how well the seabed generally holds an anchor. All crowd sourced info needs to be read with a different eye, sometimes the information even contradicts itself. Nevertheless, I find it extremely useful. If I read there is fouling or that a harbor entrance is more shallow than the chart indicates, I'm certainly going to stay much more alert or potentially choose alternates. The opposite can be the case too, where it help identify a good tucked away spot or a tip/trick.

I can't speak to how current the information is for the Chessy, it's not my cruising ground. They do seem to be getting less input, but I don't know that for sure.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in