Anchoring in Swan Creek (Rock Hall) - SailNet Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By chef2sail
  • 1 Post By Wdshreeves

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Anchoring in Swan Creek (Rock Hall)

I have a friend who inquired about anchoring overnight near Rock Hall. Since I keep my boat at a marina in Rock Hall Harbor (but not in Swan Creek), I've never anchored there (aside from dropping a lunch hook in my prior boat 5 years ago).

Is there acceptable depth (5') to anchor outside the channel? Sufficient swing space if it gets crowded? Where is the best place to dinghy to shore, and are there free dinghy docks or places with reasonable fees?

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Last edited by TakeFive; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Re: Anchoring in Swan Creek (Rock Hall)

We visit Swan Creek a lot as we hail out of Middle River and it is not that long of a trip and a great and scenic anchorage and you can get off and visit Rock Hall fairly easily.

Coming in to Swan Creek there is a patch of 7' water pretty close to the abandoned ketch that is anchored there just to the west of the green buoy with 6' all around that area and back a little ways. There are a fair number of raft ups with 2 or more boats on the weekends with everyone spread out. If the wind kicks up you are protected from all sides but have more fetch from the south.

It is nice to put the dinghy or kayak in and explore further up the creek, seeing blue herons, bald eagles, ospreys, etc.

We normally dinghy into Haven Harbour and use there dinghy dock, and you can catch the town shuttle from there if you want. It costs $10 I think.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
swan creek.jpg  

s/v LegaSea
Hunter 2003 356
Middle River, MD
post #3 of 8 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Yes, that little 7' hole in the chart is exactly where I anchored 5 years ago. But I didn't recall how accurate the depths were, or whether there were depth limitations getting to that little part. Also, my boat at the time had much less draft.

Do you happen to remember whether the dinghy fee provided other benefits, like use of the pool?
Attached Thumbnails
Swan Creek Anchorage.jpg  

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

post #4 of 8 Old 4 Weeks Ago

I've found those depths to be pretty accurate. The northern branch of Swan Creek carries 6-7 feet up to the small community marina on the western shoreline. Definitely favor the centerline of the creek - the depth falls off quickly, especially near the eastern shoreline. People often try to cram in and fill every little gap on busy weekends so you won't have a lot of swinging room. I've taken the dinghy to Swan Creek Marina before and only paid $5 but did not get use of any marina amenities.

s/v Spindrift
Beneteau Oceanis 400
formerly Lippincott 30
post #5 of 8 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Yes, that little 7' hole in the chart is exactly where I anchored 5 years ago. But I didn't recall how accurate the depths were, or whether there were depth limitations getting to that little part. Also, my boat at the time had much less draft.

Do you happen to remember whether the dinghy fee provided other benefits, like use of the pool?
You can pay a lesser fee to just dinghy in and I think around $20 for pool and bath house use also.

Haven Harbour marina people are very friendly.

Jeff

s/v LegaSea
Hunter 2003 356
Middle River, MD
post #6 of 8 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

No free dinghy docks. Strange for a community which wants to attract boaters

After turning the private 15 green you can go back pretty far if you stay in the middle of the creek and don’t have any issues with 6 inches to one foot under your keel. Many a boater crowd that 7 foot area which leds to generators on powerboats and some interesting dragging when the wind pipes up as some leave short scope because it’s so crowded.

We like anchoring there but go far back. Past the ketch...way past. Past the white 6 knot marker. We go back as far as the horse farm on the eastern bank. Just go slow. The bottom is mostly thick black mud with some grass in spots. We avoid Swan Creek on NW winds as the tide blows out.
MastUndSchotbruch likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
The Following User Says Thank You to chef2sail For This Useful Post:
PatMc57 (4 Weeks Ago)
post #7 of 8 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Talking Re: Anchoring in Swan Creek (Rock Hall)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I have a friend who inquired about anchoring overnight near Rock Hall. Since I keep my boat at a marina in Rock Hall Harbor (but not in Swan Creek), I've never anchored there (aside from dropping a lunch hook in my prior boat 5 years ago).

Is there acceptable depth (5') to anchor outside the channel? Sufficient swing space if it gets crowded? Where is the best place to dinghy to shore, and are there free dinghy docks or places with reasonable fees?
I'm the "friend" that asked Rick about the anchorages. Thanks for the post Rick and all the great local knowledge from the forum! I'll give it a shot this weekend and hope to get in there early enough to get a good spot.

Bill Shreeves
s/v Beginnings
Minnesail likes this.
post #8 of 8 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

I think my point also was if you choose the 7 ft deep water spot, it doesn’t make any difference how early you are. 100 of your friends will still choose that spot and anchor on top of you. Better off going further back in the middle as far as the horse farm if you want peace and don’t want anyone annoying you. Just stay in the middle. We draw 5 ft.

There also is a sunset tradition in that anchorage , like the Key West anchorages...expect to hear some who have conchs on board to blow them at the last light.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in