Anne Arundel No Discharge Zones - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 30 Old 10-28-2019

Re: Anne Arundel No Discharge Zones

Since this new rule seems to only effect those with Lectrosan-type systems, how many of those are actually being used on the Chesapeake? I don't actually expect anyone to have the answer, but does anyone have one (in use), or know people who use them? I used to see them on boats many years ago, but haven't run into a boat containing one in decades.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Previous boat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 Old 10-28-2019
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Whoís arguing Don, is that what you call a disCushion when someone does not agree with you. Iím not trying to argue with you. I just take difference when people think their opinions should be classified as facts and the TRUTH.

How much data do you need to determine that 300 people discharging into the water will be the same as no one discharging. It makes no difference where you sailed to or from. Thatís called common sense.

There is no need for an empirical study. BTW I donít think you can see E. coli.

So hereís the question, since you donít believe that discharging into the water will affect anything. Do you on your boat discharge into the water or do you pump out/ compost?
Yes I can see you aren't trying to argue. I'm not going to respond to you anymore! Thought I had learned my lesson, but I'm weak.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #23 of 30 Old 10-28-2019
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Since this new rule seems to only effect those with Lectrosan-type systems, how many of those are actually being used on the Chesapeake? I don't actually expect anyone to have the answer, but does anyone have one (in use), or know people who use them? I used to see them on boats many years ago, but haven't run into a boat containing one in decades.

Mark
I've run into a few that have one the past couple of years. But then I don't normally ask so it could be lots of boats have them. I've been trying to figure out a good way on my boat to install one for years now.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!

post #24 of 30 Old 10-28-2019

Every breath one exhales has some immeasurable environmental impact. If someone were to suggest we stop breathing in the name of doing something, I would not be surprised.

Good environmental stewardship is not zero trace.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #25 of 30 Old 10-28-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:

Mark
I know at least 10 Sailboats on the Chesapeake. And 8 of them are liveaboards. They canít get to the pump out at their marina or their marinas winterize it. I know of at least another 15 on very large powerboats which have Lectrosans.

The Chesapeake has never embraced its responsibility in terms of dumping heads and holding tanks like the LI Sound area has.

We were stopped a few years ago and boarded by the CG outside of Baltimore. They specifically checked our discharge system and to see we had a lock in place on the ďYĒ valve to the holding tank.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner
post #26 of 30 Old 10-28-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
They canít get to the pump out at their marina or their marinas winterize it.
Ah, this is a telling observation. Almost nobody lives aboard during the winter in New England, and anyone living aboard during the winter South of the Chesapeake rarely has ice or non-access to pump outs.

Seems the Chesapeake may be a unique environment in this regards during the winter months - short/warm enough to continue to live aboard, but not enough to have full access to pump outs.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #27 of 30 Old 10-28-2019

That sells composting heads
post #28 of 30 Old 10-29-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
No that's just the truth.

Any area discharge rule that isn't backed up by a study with real numbers is nothing but politicians and tree huggers getting to give themselves backpats to tell people how they "did something"
Did you read the application? Pounds of pollutants? Number of heads? Did you research the regional value of nutrient removal/pound?

You may not agree with the conclusions, but this is about per-person impact, not trying to study a biom. Most arguments that say "boats don't change anything thing are a variation on "my vote does not matter." Your vote matters. Every single discharge matters.

To me, the relevant questions are:
* How does the cost of this compare to shore-side treatment? (It's not as much more expensive as you think--local pump-out costs range from free to $5).
* How does the cost compare to local nutrient reduction projects? This is a measure of what the community has agreed to. I'm not arguing whether that number is right.
* Does a boater somehow have a greater right to pollute than everyone else? A philosophical question. But if we didn't have sewage treatment, Chesapeake Bay boaters, for example, wouldn't be enjoying it. I know what the Potomac and Patapsco were like 50 years ago, and they would be far worse now.

The central problems is that it is really difficult to argue to a non-boater that a system that does not remove any pollutants is sewage treatment. Sounds a little fishy.

I don't know the answers. I know they vary according to the location.

As for the liveaboard issue, they are so few I bet they let that slide in the winter. In fact, these are mostly summer problems, for both population and temperature/biological reasons.
chef2sail likes this.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"

Last edited by pdqaltair; 10-29-2019 at 04:20 PM.
post #29 of 30 Old 10-29-2019

Quote:

Mark
They believe it is about 2%, or in this case, about 200 boats.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #30 of 30 Old 10-29-2019
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
The primary reaction is to create chlorine from seawater by electrolysis. The chlorine converts into hypochlorous acid,
Wow ! the first proper use of "electrolysis" I have seen on this or any other forum

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in