2020 Sailing on the Chesapeake Bay - Page 11 - SailNet Community
 104Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 171 Old 02-25-2020

Re: 2020 Sailing on the Chesapeake Bay

Made a trip to check on the boat Saturday. Stopped at the boat first to plug in and run the charger, then ran up to Bacon's in Annapolis to drop our bimini for some stitching and to consign our old sails that have been sitting in my basement.

Bacon's is always an adventure and its become clear my wife has a better eye than I do, as she seems to find random stuff that fits our boat perfectly. Last year she randomly located a perfect match for our cracked overhead salon hatch. I was contemplating how to plug the hole in the off season while the frame went to get reglazed but for 1/2 the cost of reglazing and none of the hassle of shipping anything, we got a NOS, never installed, hatch. Yes, it had a scratch in it, but my boat is a 1991, so new sticks out like a sore thumb and it was a vast improvement over the badly crazed hatch we replaced, so that was a major win.

This time the find was not as significant, but still totally random. A flaying sheet totaled one of our opening port screens last season, and wouldn't you know, she found a single, perfect fit, replacement on the shelf in Bacon's. Score! Prepared for max ventilation while remaining bug free (well relatively).

I've also started doing some boat chores at home and our hatch boards are sporting fresh varnish and are ready to go back on the boat. Just need a couple of decent weekends to redo the grab rails and companionway trim and Palmetto Moon will be nice and shiny for the season.
Donna_F likes this.

PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PalmettoSailor For This Useful Post:
chef2sail (02-25-2020), Pendragon35 (3 Weeks Ago)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 171 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Taking the canvas off of the boat next Sunday
Bringing back the filled propane tanks, newly stained hatch boards.
Generally starting to recommission , wile leave the engine pickled though.
PalmettoSailor likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #103 of 171 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna_F View Post
We had a non-existent sailing season in 2019 and I'm anxious to start 2020. Halcyon is away for the winter but I've begun planning 2020 trips.

Here's hoping we all have a great 2020 on the bay.

Donna
I will be stopping in the Chesapeake on my way to Florida in the fall—any hints as to how to get the best exposure to it in the week or two I’ll be sailing there? Thanks, Will

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #104 of 171 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
The most female moderator

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgerstmyer View Post
Donna
I will be stopping in the Chesapeake on my way to Florida in the fall—any hints as to how to get the best exposure to it in the week or two I’ll be sailing there? Thanks, Will

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Will,

There are so many sides of the Chesapeake and I don't just mean Eastern v western shore.

Some people are afraid of Baltimore. We love it. Great restaurants, taverns, museums, I've been told the buses are free on weekends. Camden Yards if you're a baseball fan. We sailed to Baltimore for one of the tall ships weekends and will never, ever sail there during that type of event again. It was harrowing.

If you want a mix of touristy and non-touristy, I would suggest anchoring out in some of the tributaries and coves as much as possible. A sail up the Chester River is worth it, especially if you're a fan of John Barth's Friday books.

Take a day to visit the navel academy in Annapolis. That could very well take an entire day and you still won't get through everything. The Annapolis water taxi is reliable and easy to use.

Back across to the Eastern shore, the Wye River area is beautiful. We anchored in Tilghman Cove, which only fits about two boats comfortably. A man came out onto his lawn and played his guitar for us. Shaw Bay on a night with a full moon? Magical.

West River has good anchorages.

Beyond that, I'm afraid I've only sailed through to get out to the ocean. We haven't really stopped to explore. I'm hoping to change that this year.

A warning: we discovered that some channel lights in the Hampton, VA area are solar. We discovered this motoring up the channel at 3 am. By that time the lights are off completely.

Others, I'm sure, can fill in some gaps. Let us know when you're in the area.
T37Chef likes this.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #105 of 171 Old 4 Weeks Ago

A few ideas:

From Annapolis, ( a must see) You could sail down to the Eastern Bay, and then via the Miles River to St Michael's Island. The museum, the town are worth a stop. Have a burger and a beer in the Carpenter Street Saloon. I've caught some great bands there at night too.

From there, I don't have the latest info on going behind poplar is. and getting through Knapp's Narrows. The entrance was shoaling.
( check in the fall) Otherwise, you just get back to the main channel

St Mary's City , Home to the college might be worth a stop, There's also Smith and Tangier islands.

The Solomons are a good stop. I've stayed at Zahniser's , Amenities are very good, and they have a pool. Decent seafood in town.

Portsmouth is a fun town. I've stopped at Tidewater Marina, before moving on.
T37Chef likes this.

Last edited by tempest; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:59 AM.
post #106 of 171 Old 4 Weeks Ago

2018 Guide to Cruising Chesapeake Bay https://www.amazon.com/dp/1884726038..._3P.yEb0CR3MYE

They used to update it annually, but looks like 2018 is the latest edition.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #107 of 171 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Southern Bay- West Shore
- Yorktown....stay 2 days , rent a car and visit Jamestown and Williamsburg
- Rapahannock- Carter Creek or Deltaville

Southern Bay - East Shor
- Cape Charles
- Ononcock

Mid Bay Western Shore- note Potomac weather can be tough
- anywhere on St Mary River
- Solomon’s
- Rhode River
- Annapolis

Mid Bay - Eastern shore
- Choptank.a couple Days. San Domingo Creek and Oxfor
- Wye River
- Miles River

Upper Bay - eastern side
- Chester River
- Rock Hall
- Worton Creek

Upper Bay- western side
- Magothy
- Patapsco

There are many great anchorages and Mari as in all these areas. First figure out how long you really have. Where are you coming from...going to?

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #108 of 171 Old 3 Weeks Ago

If you spend six months in the Chesapeake, you will still be situated in the middle bay - yes, there is that much to see and experience. I also recommend getting a copy of Cruising Chesapeake Bay - it's well worth the price.

Now, if you are here in the warmer months, don't count on a lot of good sailing days. Winds during the warm months are usually dead on your nose, regardless of direction, ranging from light to variable at best from the SW. Once you get below the Potomac River, however, the winds seem to be far more favorable for great sailing, but I found the charts of the rivers, especially those on the western shore, very unreliable for depth. Keep a close eye on the GPS/Plotter and set the depth finder alarm for 6 feet if that is a comfortable depth. Thank goodness for Boat US Towing Service - I've been dragged off a hard sand bottom a couple times down there.

If you want to go fishing for supper, you'll find some good action south of Point Lookout, and I rarely purchase dinner south of the point - yes, it's that good for experienced anglers. North of the point, recreational angling is marginal at best. Most of the time, I had a couple collapsible crab traps in the water soon after anchoring the boat in a secluded cove - didn't take me long to catch a dozen big crabs using chicken necks for bait. Gotta have a can of Old Bay Seafood Seasoning on the boat - just in case.

I found some good speckled seatrout lurking in one of the coves south of Tangier Island near Watts Island. They tipped the scales at about 4 pounds each, and the fillets were fantastic on the boat's kettle grill when coated with about a 1/8-inch layer of mayonnaise, then sprinkled with Old Bay - OH MY!

Good luck,

Gary
post #109 of 171 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Canvas cover off the back half of the boat. Dodger up Haleakula appears to have survived the 3 months of inactivity well. Love the AGM batteries. Only lost 3%. Shore power back hooked up. Got the life sling, horseshoe buoy, grill out of the cabin into their spots.

Picked up the main sail from Chuck at Chesapeake Sailmakers. Did a great job cleaning it. Repaired the leech line. He does a great job and I would highly recommend him.

Newly varnished hatch boards. Tuesday we will take the rest of the canvas off. Look to put main and jib on. Put up the Bimini. General wipe down and polish all the teak in the insides. De-winterize the fresh water system then shock it with bleach. Possibly start the engine. Thoroughly check all rigging. Bring back the propane tanks fully filled.

This gets us ready for an overnight shakedown. Onward we go.
4arch likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #110 of 171 Old 3 Weeks Ago

One of the advantages of living at the marina where we keep our sailboat. Yesterday's sail was awesome. I wish I didn't have to go to work today!
Attached Thumbnails
Sail2.jpg  
ThereYouAre and Trvlmedic like this.

s/v Harmony
1973 Tartan 30 #186
Anchorage Marina, Baltimore MD

Tags
chesapeake bay

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in