Need avice from our chefs - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 Old 01-10-2020
dadio917

Re: Need avice from our chefs

salt and pepper rub, hot bbq, turn 4 times, 128 degrees, rest for a few minutes. Taste the meat not an herby rub. Yummmm! Like Argentina!

Dadio917
Valiant 39
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 Old 01-10-2020

In the scheme of life, this is prob a cheap superlative
post #23 of 27 Old 01-11-2020

Been a long time since I pan fried a steak, but here's how I used to do it. It has nothing to do with super thick wagyu steaks. But, you know... thread drift...

Spread a solid, single layer of rock salt in a dry cast iron skillet (no grease), and turn the gas burner up high under it for at least five minutes. Drop in a 1" thick rib eye. If the steaks and the skillet are sized right you can cook two at a time, but adhere to the one inch thickness.

When juices start beading up on the surface of the steak, flip it. Then turn the burner off, and walk away for ten or fifteen minutes (it doesn't hurt to drop a pat of butter on the steak before leaving). Pop a beer, talk to the old lady about how her day went, check your email, whatever. Come back, place the steak on your plate next to your favorite potatoes and veggies, grind a little black pepper on top of it, and enjoy.

Yes, the juices dripping into the salt can smoke up your kitchen. It's a smell I enjoy, but for some reason the wife always hollered at me if I didn't crack a window first...
bigdogandy likes this.

Try not to let the urgent override the important.

post #24 of 27 Old 01-11-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
How many of you eating?

If less than 4, then you could do a starter of Steak Tartare with one of the steaks - Raw thinly sliced then diced - not ground. Add chopped parsley and a little finely diced shallots (or the US equivalent). No cooking. serve like that.
As its raw and eaten raw it will freak out most Americans. But its perfectly safe to eat when you have top beef. And its out of this world

https://www.epicurious.com/expert-ad...t-home-article

Mark
Spread the diced raw steak on a slice of Russian rye bread. Sprinkle it liberally with a layer of finely chopped raw onion or shallots. Beat a whole egg lightly with a fork, and pour it over the top. Bury everything in Diamond Crystal kosher salt and coarsely-ground black pepper, open a sturdy home brew, and enjoy.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Try not to let the urgent override the important.

Last edited by troy2000; 01-11-2020 at 12:52 AM.
post #25 of 27 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
How many of you eating?

If less than 4, then you could do a starter of Steak Tartare with one of the steaks - Raw thinly sliced then diced - not ground. Add chopped parsley and a little finely diced shallots (or the US equivalent). No cooking. serve like that.
As its raw and eaten raw it will freak out most Americans. But its perfectly safe to eat when you have top beef. And its out of this world

https://www.epicurious.com/expert-ad...t-home-article

Mark
I was with my aunt and uncle for there 70th wedding anniversary and my Aunt talked about how I went out to dinner with them when I was 7 or 8 years old and ordered steak tartare, love it still!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
MarkofSeaLife and troy2000 like this.

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!
post #26 of 27 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Picnic Sailor

My all time favourite cruising moment - putting a couple of nice cuts of steak on the grill at the back of the boat as the sun is setting. Bit of salt and pepper and olive oil.

In Australia the challenge is then always making sure the Kookaburras (Native carnivorous bird) don't swoop and try and steal it while your chilling the wine
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #27 of 27 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Well if we are telling steak stories I'll tell mine. The very first time we took our new to us C36 out, we had plans to link up for a night on the hook with 3 other boats from our marina. Having a new boat to play with we got out early and had a great day learning our new boat. Mid afternoon we headed to meet up with our friends at our chosen western shore anchorage. The Entrance to the anchorage required about 4 or more 90 degree turns to pass a long jutting point. As soon as we turned west I saw the towering cumulus clouds approaching from the west and immediately got the motor going and sails down. By then I could see a wall of rain that looked nearly solid about 3/4 of mile ahead and lightning strikes all around making me wonder how good an idea it was holding a steel wheel with a 50' pole 15' ahead of me. I had no plotter at the helm at that point, and we were past the point where we could turn and run for open water. I had my wife go below and toss me my foully top and close the companionway. Another boat was abut 5 lengths ahead of me and as the wall passed it completely disappeared from view. Seconds, later I could barely see to the bow of the boat and was getting drenched. My wife watched the plotter below and called out heading corrections in degrees guiding me as we rounded Stove Point into Fishing Bay. Just as we reached the open water of Fishing Bay, the storm was passed and we anchored with no further drama.

So here is where the Steak comes in. After we anchored, I got the grill going and as soon as I got the steaks on, another pop up TS smacked us. The grill blew out at the gust front, so I just shut off the gas and went below while keeping a watch in case we dragged. 15 minutes later the storm was passed and I re-fired up the grill, and wouldn't you know before they were done a 3rd wave passed, again blowing out the grill. As I huddled below a second time, I just knew those steaks would be like shoe leather, but lo and behold after a quick warm up, we plated them and they looked at tasted like they came out of a high end steak house. Incredible. I can't cook them that good even when I try. Crazy.

PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36

Last edited by PalmettoSailor; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:56 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in