Saint Mary's City Park? - SailNet Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Saint Mary's City Park?

We're starting to do some planning for a few short overnight trips this summer, out of Deltaville (Stingray Point) and one place that is attractive for a family with a small child is a visit to the Historic Saint Mary's site. It looks like there is public access at Saint Mary's City Park, and a dock. My google-fu may be weak, but I can't find a lot of information about access there...anybody got a tip? Is this temporary dinghy-only access? It looks like there's sufficient draft for our boat, and I spy mooring balls in the river using satellite view...anybody know the story? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 3 Weeks Ago
bell ringer

Re: Saint Mary's City Park?

When i went i anchored there in the cove next to the college and used their dinghy dock (just check in with the marina guy).
s_ruffner likes this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 3 Weeks Ago

In the past, boaters were allowed to tie up at the dock to visit the college grounds. No overnight docking, however.

The moorings are private.

It's a nice anchorage with lots of room. It is close to a sometimes busy road.

post #4 of 13 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLOSECALL View Post
In the past, boaters were allowed to tie up at the dock to visit the college grounds. No overnight docking, however.

It's a nice anchorage with lots of room. It is close to a sometimes busy road.
It looked roomy!

We'd be visiting the historical sites, but everything looks walkable from there. Docking during the day to visit would be great, and we could anchor out overnight.
post #5 of 13 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Plenty of room. During the July 4 fireworks there might be 50 or more boats anchored there.
post #6 of 13 Old 3 Weeks Ago
bell ringer

Btw the bus from town comes out to the college. Plus you can eat in the college dining room for a reasonable price considering its an all you can buffet (of college kids foods)
s_ruffner likes this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 Old 3 Weeks Ago

We visited there years ago, I think it was July, and found it to be very quiet and lots of walking but the historic area was lots of fun for the kiddos. I would add, pick a good weather window as the mouth of the Potomac can get pretty ugly as it was the day we left out of the St. Marys River... I did not pick a good weather window

Shawn

post #8 of 13 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
We visited there years ago, I think it was July, and found it to be very quiet and lots of walking but the historic area was lots of fun for the kiddos.
That's the idea...my kiddo will be turning 5 and enjoys those kinds of historic areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
I would add, pick a good weather window as the mouth of the Potomac can get pretty ugly as it was the day we left out of the St. Marys River... I did not pick a good weather window
My wife picked up a book which is more of a tourist guide with the angle of boating for the transportation, so not really a sailing guide or navigation aide (though they certainly have at least portions of the NOAA charts for various destinations included), but this same admonishment was mentioned.

We also plan to overnight at Tangier (this is pretty high on the to-do list, before Tangier is fully submerged), and I would imagine that crossing that section of the bay (from Stingray Point) would be similarly subject to heavy weather, or is the mouth of the Potomac bad because it's open to the west?
T37Chef likes this.
post #9 of 13 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Nice anchorage! Sailed there in a governors cup race once, and then again with a buddy for Parents weekend at the college.

Dove in the water to cool off and met up with several stinging nettles.. ouch! look before you leap ;-)
T37Chef and s_ruffner like this.
post #10 of 13 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_ruffner View Post
That's the idea...my kiddo will be turning 5 and enjoys those kinds of historic areas.

My wife picked up a book which is more of a tourist guide with the angle of boating for the transportation, so not really a sailing guide or navigation aide (though they certainly have at least portions of the NOAA charts for various destinations included), but this same admonishment was mentioned.

We also plan to overnight at Tangier (this is pretty high on the to-do list, before Tangier is fully submerged), and I would imagine that crossing that section of the bay (from Stingray Point) would be similarly subject to heavy weather, or is the mouth of the Potomac bad because it's open to the west?
I've only been to St Mary's once, outside of participating in Gov Cup races when we had full access to the College dock and grounds. The one time we visited while sailing from Deltaville school was out of session and I don't remember there being anyone around the docks to ask if we could use it so we did. There is a small beach so you could beach a dinghy there with out touching the dock if you wished. We anchored and went ashore to look around. There was absolutely nothing open on a Sunday, even the vending machines were locked off, so take some provisions with you if you visit on a Sunday and its hot.

As far as Tangier, I've been there many times by air, but never by boat. We have friends that have visited by boat several times. Parks Marina is the only game in town going by boat. I'm told the docking is dicey as the slips a perpendicular to the current through the cut. A slack tide arrival is your best bet. Personally, I can't think of a reason I'd want to spend a night there. I doubt the restaurants stay open after the ferries leave for the day so you're most likely on your own for dinners. Tangier is worth visiting at least once, but I'd as soon take the ferry from Crisfield or Reedville for a day trip.

PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in