SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Northern chesapeake cheap place to demast or someone to climb the mast

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  ekenna 
#1 ·
I have a 38 foot long mast according to what I read. total height above water line = 41. Late last season we had a storm that messed the wind vane so it only works with wind from the port side (I think). Obviously something is preventing it from rotating freely Most likely it is the 45degree guides that are no longer at 45degrees.

The steaming light fixture which really isn't a steaming light fixture has been dislodged on the 1 side by the haylards ( I remember when the prior owner was getting it ready to put in the water he was messing with this trying to find the right size screw). It probably needs to be re tapped and I do not have the tools to tap it. I would like to replace this with a proper led based fixture. This fixture is maybe 16 to 20 feet up.

The anchor light is ok (as far as I know/last checked) however replacing it with a led fixture would be nice.

The main vhf radio does not really work. I suspect a possible antenna issue as the last time I testing it it would transmit for someone at the same dock but did not when we needed it later that weekend (we bought a hand held that day.)

Anyhow a fairly long list of work. Did I mention the boat is on a mooring and I am scared of heights. So my options are de step the mast, buy the climbing equipment and figure out how to use it on my boat (and repeat "don't look down" while working) or hire someone to climb my mast (I saw someone when we were in Rock Hall I should have gotten a card). The problem I see with de stepping the mast are where to do it and the meter is running if my boat is sitting with the mast in a sling. I would need to have my ducks in a row ie have all the parts on hand ready to be installed. No room for having to run to west marine for 40 foot of wire etc. When I asked my marina guy he said most people go up or they do it themselves. Hiring someone has the same problem of having someone sit around while you scample for parts. And then will that person do as good as job if you do it yourself? (maybe better)

Anyhow that is the situation now for the questions.

Does anyone know a marina/boatyard where I can de step the mast and work on it fairly cheaply? I had heard on the great loop site of a yatcht club that would allow you to use their crane or what ever on a self serve basis for like $50. Any place like that on the Chesapeake? Or does anyone know someone who climbs masts at a reasonable rate and does good work? What would be a reasonable rate?

See less See more
#2 ·
Not sure how far North you are thinking, but try Oak Harbor Marina off Rock Creek in Pasadena, Maryland, 410-255-4070. They can climb your mast or step it, whichever you prefer. One note: they are slammed right now launching boats, you might wait a few weeks if you can?

#3 ·
I realize it is right in the middle of launching season. I can not afford to do this right now anyhow but I would like to do so before my trip in mid june. Ill give them a call however I was hoping for something a little closer (farther north) Do they do work on the weekend?

As anyone had someone climb their mast? I suppose doing so on a mooring is undireable so the climber would want the boat in a slip.

#4 · (Edited)
Any rigger would be game Im sure...call around and get price quotes from 2 or 3.

Also ask around on the dock or yacht club for who does there own rigging work...This is something boaters quit often help each other out with.

If your really afraid of heights to the point of becoming immobilized i would not do it yourself....if its something you can work through and overcome I would highly recommend learning to do this type of work yourself...BUT! have competent deck hands that have hoisted and gone aloft themselves many times before hoisting you up and assisting you...Last time I looked the average fall height to a persons death was 8'.

This is something I would do for you for a beer in your cockpit.

#6 ·
Also ask around on the dock or yacht club for who does there own rigging work...This is something boaters quit often help each other out with.

This is something I would do for you for a beer in your cockpit.
Second this advice. There's nothing you've listed that should be terribly difficult. You may find someone quite happy to give you an assist (of course, the beer needs to be cold, and something a little more enticing than Schlitz or PBR ;) .)

#5 ·
Try Maryland Marina in Middle River. You can put your boat in a slip next to their haul out and they have a crane,,,with bucket to work on your mast. Just have everything pre prepped so you do not waste crane time "money"

Dave

#7 ·
barter might also help you get what you need...

I agree with the "talk with your fellow local boaters" for help with these projects. These are tasks that any "handy" sailor can handle and if you are not comfortable going aloft, you may be happy to help the guy on the next mooring ball with a task he does not relish....

If you have some friends, pick the one who is handy and see what chores he is addressing during his launching. Maybe you can invite him to help you and you can pull him up in a bosons chair so he can address your items and you will in turn help him compound and wax his hull or paint his boat's bottom. If you walk around I would bet you might find folks who would welcome an assist and would reciprocate.

A cold one and maybe a sandwich could be icing on the cake if supplied. Who knows you may make a friend you will want to share a cove with later in the season.

Good luck!;)

Leslie

S/V "Tango" Cabo Rico 34
Currently on the hard in Oxford

#8 ·
Suggest you contact Handy Points Marine (on Worton Creek) and make an appointment for them to contract Mike Sapello (sp?) ... The charges at Handy's Pt. are VERY reasonable and Mike is a VERY good Rigger .... typically $75.00/hr for 'up the mast work'. ... it all depends on 'whow well you can 'negotiate'.
BTW Handy's Point is probably the least expensive marina to 'drop a mast' on the upper eastern shore.

Before you do any rigging, etc. work .... be sure to 'shop around' and get a WRITTEN QUOTE and not an 'estimate'. Many of the marinas on the upper eastern shore should be listed in the 'piiracy advisement' because of the 'scalping' they do. GET a written CONTRACT, not an 'estimate'.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.