Water based anti-fouling in the Chesapeake - Page 8 - SailNet Community
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 79 Old 03-17-2019

Re: Water based anti-fouling in the Chesapeake

I'm not so sure that modern manufacturers haven't designed in the idea that a boat will likely be on stands for periods of time. No doubt, it's putting different stresses on the hull. Floor hatches and doors don't open/close quite the same, when we're on the hard. They return to normal in the water.

There is no right or wrong with hard vs water storage, IMO. Pros and cons. The risk in the water is not burst pipes from failing to winterize, it's problems that multiply when not observed routinely. The smallest leak in season can sink a boat or create a mold farm you may not inspect for weeks at a time, over the winter. I don't see my boat for 6-8 weeks at a time in the winter, which is too long for me to be comfortable in the water. I probably would choose the water, if I was going to stop by weekly. I've long since given up on winter projects aboard. Way to bloody cold.

Plan B is going to be to take her to Bermuda or SC for the winter and pay a local boat manager to inspect her weekly and hose her down. I already have inspected marinas in both locations and have found the local individuals to do this. Then I'll live aboard for periods of time getting things done in a temperate climate, or just get away for the winter, from time to time. While I'm stuck in RI, the hard it is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 79 Old 03-17-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I'm not so sure that modern manufacturers haven't designed in the idea that a boat will likely be on stands for periods of time. No doubt, it's putting different stresses on the hull. Floor hatches and doors don't open/close quite the same, when we're on the hard. They return to normal in the water.

There is no right or wrong with hard vs water storage, IMO. Pros and cons. The risk in the water is not burst pipes from failing to winterize, it's problems that multiply when not observed routinely. The smallest leak in season can sink a boat or create a mold farm you may not inspect for weeks at a time, over the winter. I don't see my boat for 6-8 weeks at a time in the winter, which is too long for me to be comfortable in the water. I probably would choose the water, if I was going to stop by weekly. I've long since given up on winter projects aboard. Way to bloody cold.

Plan B is going to be to take her to Bermuda or SC for the winter and pay a local boat manager to inspect her weekly and hose her down. I already have inspected marinas in both locations and have found the local individuals to do this. Then I'll live aboard for periods of time getting things done in a temperate climate, or just get away for the winter, from time to time. While I'm stuck in RI, the hard it is.
Minni... any boat should be watched and inspected periodically in water or dry stored. To not do so is irresponsible. I try to get there once a week and at worst let two weeks go by. I don't image that a leak on the deck will sink the boat but it will require attention... re bedding a deck fitting for example. The cockpit well freezing into a block of ice would be worrying. Boats are covered in water for that reason. I don't store the boat more than an hr and now it's a half hr from where I live. No excuse to get there frequently. Plus I do projects, and organize..

You get what you pay for. I would never expect a yard or anyone to inspect my boat and do so diligently as I would... in the winter.
I have winter stored Shiva in water almost every winter she was up north with a few exceptions and have had not a single problem. That's over 34 years!

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #73 of 79 Old 03-17-2019

While I agree one needs to inspect their boat routinely, I'm very comfortable with the notion that it be required more frequently in the water than on the hard. More risk in the water. Our marina offers both, but only one or two boats stay in. The slips become literally painted with seagull crap and they do not maintain them, until Spring, as the water is shut off.

I'm certainly not saying there is anything wrong with in water storage, I thought I made that clear. I just don't see it as an advantage over storing on the hard, unless you plan to be there weekly, as in your case. I can not and will not have that opportunity over the winter.

For what it's worth, the winter marinas I visited make a business out of snow bird in-water winter storage. There are manager's who do these inspections for a living, among other projects. They'll send weekly pics or video of their inspection. In a temperate climate, I'm really just asking for a security check, bilge is dry, fenders are in place and lines are secure. These folks also manage other things, such as detailing the topsides and decks. That would be luxurious to just be ready to go in the Spring.

The balance for me is the time it will take to get there and back. It's about break even to the time it takes me to decommission and commission each Fall/Spring. But with the added annoyance of not being able to specifically time the passage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #74 of 79 Old 03-17-2019

In water storage is substantially less expensive than taking the boat out and storing dry. I found a dockaminum situation which is dirt cheap... very protected, a fair amount of boats stored in this location and "club members" who are looking after things all winter. Yes there is goose poop on the docks. Not a big deal actually. There are rules but the cost is negotiated with the slip owner. I couldn't be happier with this location and there's a West Marine two blocks away if I need something marine. For me this is a no brainer... safe, protected, inexpensive.. 25 minutes from home, very near access to marine stuff.

I can shoot up there when there is a good weather day as winter ends to recommission, bend on sails and do the running rigging... And when the really nice weather comes and water is back on... detail the boat. Close makes this sort of thing possible.

I painted the bottom this fall and may do this again.. or wait to Spring '20 do it again. There's even a handyman who does boat detailing over there.

post #75 of 79 Old 03-17-2019

Sounds like a sweet arrangement, SO.

The economics at our marina are not quite as obvious. We paid approx $4,400 for winter storage on the hard, all inclusive of haul, wash bottom, stands and launch. In water would have cost $3,200 plus actual metered electricity and I don't know what that would be. I would still need to pay for a round trip in the travel lift for bottom paint, zinc, etc. No divers allowed. That's $540.

I don't think I can adequately describe the gull crap and broken clam shells on our dock over the winter. No way to walk around them, so you would be forced to track it aboard. Once we all occupied the docks again, they go elsewhere. However, these past few years, we've had mallards in the marina, during the summer. Cute but absolutely awful. You never want to walk to shore at night, without a flashlight. It looks like a pack of dogs crapped all over the dock.

Jeanneau 54DS

post #76 of 79 Old 03-17-2019

Quote:
Sounds like a sweet arrangement, SO.

The economics at our marina are not quite as obvious. We paid approx $4,400 for winter storage on the hard, all inclusive of haul, wash bottom, stands and launch. In water would have cost $3,200 plus actual metered electricity and I don't know what that would be. I would still need to pay for a round trip in the travel lift for bottom paint, zinc, etc. No divers allowed. That's $540.

I don't think I can adequately describe the gull crap and broken clam shells on our dock over the winter. No way to walk around them, so you would be forced to track it aboard. Once we all occupied the docks again, they go elsewhere. However, these past few years, we've had mallards in the marina, during the summer. Cute but absolutely awful. You never want to walk to shore at night, without a flashlight. It looks like a pack of dogs crapped all over the dock.
Not to make you envious... charges are not by the foot. I paid $700 w/ electricity... which I hardly use only when I am on board. If I do work on the bottom it will be a short haul and block and then have to pay yard rates... whatever they are. I selected a corner slip with the finger on one side and no boat in the other.
They allowed me to store the dink on the dock behind the boat where they have a rack for kyacks in the summer for $100. The harbor is on a deep channel and has hurricane doors! Least expensive wet storage I found in the area was $1,700 plus electricity.

This is definitely a keeper.

post #77 of 79 Old 03-17-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
Not to make you envious.......
Too late. Even our short haul is by the foot, which always annoys me. There is zero additional effort, time or labor involved, over a shorter vessel. It's just a progressive tax.
SanderO likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

post #78 of 79 Old 03-17-2019

Quote:
Too late. Even our short haul is by the foot, which always annoys me. There is zero additional effort, time or labor involved, over a shorter vessel. It's just a progressive tax.
Boat yards are pirates...

post #79 of 79 Old 03-17-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

You guys up north getting taken advantage of

Many if not most slips on the Chesapeake are year round price so storing on land at the going rate of $22-$25 per foot is just an added unnecessary expense. Even if I pulled every year I wouldn't use a limited bottom paint.

As far as expensive bottom paint, in our case they are worth the weight in gold. Our Petit Ultima60 lasts three seasons in an area which traditionally is high in bottom growth. It does a great job .

Now if your paying full retail price or Marina price Ultima 60 might be $250 per gallon, but every year it goes on sale if you pay attention, and you can buy right for about $150. No way some cheap ass eco friendly paint can compete with 60% copper with Ingeraol. And certainly not for 3 years.

We do use Haleakula a lot so that does helook the ablative properties and we have a diver go down in July or do the zincs as well as prop. We have been using prop speed now for 5 years. By year 3 it is beginning to lose potency, but the f III retail two years the diver reports mostly clean bottom and very little prop growth.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in