Rigging services near Philly? - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jephotog

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-25-2018 Thread Starter

Rigging services near Philly?

As I mentioned in a post over in Gear & Maintenance, a mishap at the overcrowded Pennsauken Municipal Boat Ramp near Philly yesterday will require mast replacement. I'm relieved to hear from comments in that thread that transplanting the hardware and standing rigging from damaged mast to new could be doable at home but I'm still inclined to hire a professional rigger to see the job done precisely when the new mast is delivered if the price is right. Could anyone recommend a rigger not too far from Philly, either to do the job in my driveway with the masts side by side or by bringing the old and new masts to their location? Willing to drive to the Northern Chesapeake if needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-25-2018

Re: Rigging services near Philly?

Husband and wife team. I was very impressed by both.

https://waldenrigging.com

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
The Following User Says Thank You to hpeer For This Useful Post:
Curator (06-25-2018)
post #3 of 9 Old 06-25-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Husband and wife team. I was very impressed by both.

https://waldenrigging.com
Agreed, Dobbs and Suzanne of Walden Rigging do great work, you should give them a call.
I did not see your original post, what kind of boat was damaged? You may be able to find a used mast.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dfok For This Useful Post:
Curator (06-25-2018)

post #4 of 9 Old 06-25-2018 Thread Starter

Thanks for the helpful experience. I’ve now contacted them and will see if we can work something out. My low post count doesn’t permit me to link to the other post on this subject, titled “Trailer-sailer mast replacement advice”, but it’s for my beloved 2012 Montgomery 15 “Aino”. A painfully stupid incident I’ll certainly learn from. I did opt to buy a new mast from Dwyer, not as expensive as I’d feared, so the only question that remains is whether I do the transplanting myself when it arrives or leave it to pros.

2012 Montgomery 15 Aino

Last edited by Curator; 06-25-2018 at 05:10 PM.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-26-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curator View Post
I did opt to buy a new mast from Dwyer, not as expensive as Id feared, so the only question that remains is whether I do the transplanting myself when it arrives or leave it to pros.
Montgomerys are the Cadillac of trailer sailors good luck with your repair. If you have a drill and a riveter, you could probably do the repairs yourself and come away with a new skill set.
Curator likes this.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-09-2018 Thread Starter

I've finally heard back from Suzanne that they're booked for months. On the off chance that there's another pro in the area who might be able to do this relatively small job, I'd be grateful for any other recommendations but am gearing up to do it solo if need be. I appreciate the replies so far!

2012 Montgomery 15 Aino
post #7 of 9 Old 07-09-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curator View Post
I've finally heard back from Suzanne that they're booked for months. On the off chance that there's another pro in the area who might be able to do this relatively small job, I'd be grateful for any other recommendations but am gearing up to do it solo if need be. I appreciate the replies so far!
Put the two masts side by side and layout and match the new mast to the old mast. Align and layout all your hole locations, mark them with a pencil or pen mark. After you have it layed out get a carpenter or mechanic friend to double check your work before drilling. Use a nail driver or punch to mark the center of the hole locations so the drill does not walk on you. Then drill the holes and rivet the hardware into place.

Another possibility is if you do much of the layout and ground work, you might be able to get a pro to squeeze you in to help out if your project is only an hour or two worth of work.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to jephotog For This Useful Post:
Curator (07-10-2018)
post #8 of 9 Old 07-11-2018
Seor Member

My thought for closest to you would be Winter's Marina in Riverside, NJ
post #9 of 9 Old 07-13-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottos View Post
My thought for closest to you would be Winter's Marina in Riverside, NJ
Thanks for the tip. Looks like I'm going to be brave and do it alone but glad to know there's a fallback option nearby if I make a mess of the job. Any chance you're one of those lucky folks who keeps a Hobie on the beach in Ocean City? I was walking by the rows of private cats parked on the sand at about 40th st last weekend and wishing I could rent one but looks like one has to go to BayCats at the top of the island for that.

2012 Montgomery 15 Aino

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in