Barnegat Inlet 2019 - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By chef2sail

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 05-19-2019 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Barnegat Inlet 2019

We’ve just been through it twice in fairly benign conditions.

After living on the Jersey shore for 18 and transiting Barnegat over 100 times, I’d say I have local knowledge.

To me the only three inlets that are safe to transit in all conditions are Cape May , Atlantic City, and Manesquan. All inlets require caution, especially in weather, but these three have no long shoals on both sides to create breakers heading a cross the inlet faces.

Barnegat can be treacherous. Long shoals on either side of tend outward 1.5 miles. Each year boats are lost on its jetties or have sunk hitting the sandbar IN THE INLET proper.

Taking Barnegat should be done in proper condition. East wind components , swell over 3 feet and the 3.5-4 knot current can produce standing waves over 5 feet’s as well as breakers rolling across the fairway to the jetties.

There are two green cans one at the entrance of the inlet . 5/8 of the inlet of the south side is impassible. You are forced to stay closer to the north jetty however you don’t have to hug it.

The second green #11 can which hs been missing for a number of years is back on station. As soon as you reach it you do a 90 degree turn to port and traverse the rear of the inlet.

The anchorage which is one of my all time favorites with an ocean breeze and picturesque “old Barney” lighthouse . The way in very confusing. Yesterday we watched two large sailboats rub aground an hour apart. Keep the red / green combined on your port and look back where you see them commercial fleet. You’ll see very tiny reds and green headed back that way with a small low lying marshy island to their seaward side. Stay in between the tiny bouts and after the first on go to starboard into the anchorage. 11-15 ft. Do not go straight into the anchorage from the red/green. It marks the passageway to Barnegat Bay. You’ll see boats anchored and want to just head in...its one foot deep and tow Boat Us makes a lot of money there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 05-19-2019 at 09:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-19-2019

Re: Barnegat Inlet 2019

Good info... a series of pics taken from your boat as you make your way in and out would be even more helpful... Seems easy enough to do these days...

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #3 of 7 Old 05-20-2019

post #4 of 7 Old 05-20-2019

There are a lot of videos that show Barnegat Inlet. This guy above is exiting from the general direction of the anchorage area. I think one of the most important things to note is that the North Jetty is awash at high tide. I think around 5:05 in to the video you can see the end of the exposed rocks on the north jetty. It's not until around 6:37 to you see the outer mark. Everything between that mark and the "Visible" North Rock Jetty is foul. Don't cut that corner!! . ;-) The Inlet is pretty Wide, favor the starboard side entering, but give the jetty good berth. I went through on a Grady White a few times last fall, during Striper season, and saw 18 ft. of water left (south side) of center outside of the channel, but things do change season to season.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-20-2019

If you're planning on coming in Barnegat Inlet you can call ahead to Coast Guard Station Barnegat Light for current conditions.

Currently Boatless

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau
post #6 of 7 Old 05-20-2019 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest View Post
There are a lot of videos that show Barnegat Inlet. This guy above is exiting from the general direction of the anchorage area. I think one of the most important things to note is that the North Jetty is awash at high tide. I think around 5:05 in to the video you can see the end of the exposed rocks on the north jetty. It's not until around 6:37 to you see the outer mark. Everything between that mark and the "Visible" North Rock Jetty is foul. Don't cut that corner!! . ;-) The Inlet is pretty Wide, favor the starboard side entering, but give the jetty good berth. I went through on a Grady White a few times last fall, during Striper season, and saw 18 ft. of water left (south side) of center outside of the channel, but things do change season to season.
Tempest advice about cutting the corner makes sense. Why cut at all, we go out pas the first set of range markers which passes even the 11 ft sand bank on the port side.

We just went through yesterday. My advice is both current and instructional. Barnegat is not an inlet to be taken in “ conditions”
The videos you watching are optimal. Find one with a current vs wind of 15 knots and whitewater washing across the fairway in.....a common occurrence.

It’s your boat and yours and the ones your responsible for safety. Be prudent, that’s all
SanderO likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #7 of 7 Old 05-21-2019

I haven’t been through in decades. Did it a few times on commercial fishing boats as a kid before the improvements. I recall one day going out and having 60’ as we hugged a red about abreast the light house. Two days latter coming back in that same marker was sitting on the sand, but in the same place. Another time coming back in on a lobster boat, the Captain waiting for the right wave to surf over the bar. Scary fun for a youngster. About 1969, ancient history.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter

Last edited by hpeer; 05-21-2019 at 08:41 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in